Politics

Christmas Tree

8 hours ago, Gemmill said:

The antisemitism stuff is FOR SURE getting disproportionate press coverage btw. It's why I only read Heat Magazine these days. 

Aye, the Tories hate Muslims as much as Labour hate Jews. The whole lot need to go in the Sea tbh. It's tit for tat for 50 year old schoolkids 

8 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

you call that sniping? i've been reasoned and civil.

why not just admit you're a massive antisemite? 

He won't even admit that he's a muslim Gloom, you'll never get that one out of him.

18 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

well, you asked for it. so let's use this thread to start keeping a daily track on the "MSM" newspaper front pages to see if you have a point. 

let's start with today. lots of knife crime stories, not a single antisemitism story. we'll be back with part two tomorrow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

[the other issues aren't being sidelined, it's all about your perception of this story, i'm afraid]

In today’s roundup, every paper leads with knife crime and Brexit. Only exceptions are the Daily Mail, which splashes with the antisemtism watchdog story, and the FT, which leads with the ECB meeting, I love how its news agenda is so different to the rest 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs/the_papers

Edited by Dr Gloom

8 hours ago, Andrew said:

He won't even admit that he's a muslim Gloom, you'll never get that one out of him.

It’s hardly surprising, he rejects identity politics and doesn’t like labels. Except when it comes to labelling social justice warriors and the establishment. We can give those groups arbitrary identities.

If anyone wants a laugh check out the last 5 mins or so of today’s Politics Live with Tory arsehole Mark Francois going up against Will Self. The denouement seeing Francis, having inevitably had his arse handed to him on a plate in an intellectual sense, deciding to stare down Self. The latter, not in the least bit intimidated, just unblinkingly stared back as it slowly dawned on Francois that he would get the shit laced out of him if he ever decided to go down that route 

6 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

It’s hardly surprising, he rejects identity politics and doesn’t like labels. Except when it comes to labelling social justice warriors and the establishment. We can give those groups arbitrary identities.

Rearrange the first letters of those words and I think we can see exactly where he’s going with that 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

If anyone wants a laugh check out the last 5 mins or so of today’s Politics Live with Tory arsehole Mark Francois going up against Will Self. The denouement seeing Francis, having inevitably had his arse handed to him on a plate in an intellectual sense, deciding to stare down Self. The latter, not in the least bit intimidated, just unblinkingly stared back as it slowly dawned on Francois that he would get the shit laced out of him if he ever decided to go down that route 

:lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-47497183/brexit-will-self-and-mark-francois-on-racists-and-anti-semites

I quite like Will Self but if ever there was a better advert for the need for more representation from women in politics and in general (which they’d been just been discussing) on today of all days :lol: 

@Dr Gloom Given the ( totally justified) recent outcry and change in the law regarding FGM, has been any discussion about ritual circumcision amongst UK Jews, and the wider community? 

If so, what is the general opinion? 

I think male circumcision on religious or cultural grounds is very cruel. It’s an irreversible procedure on a child too young to give his consent. But it isn’t as barbaric as female circumcision so I can understand why there hasn’t been the same rush to outlaw it.

That’s my view, I’m not particularly engaged with the Jewish community so no idea if a new consensus is forming but I’d be surprised if that were the case.

• Like 1

:good:

Cheers bud. 

We’ll agree to disagree on the level of barbarity though- whipping off your son’s pullover without anaesthetic is just as brutal as FGM, I reckon. 

I’m a pretty staunch atheist, but I respect people’s right to believe in whichever sky fairy they want, but,  when it means mutilating kids in the name of that sky fairy, that’s when I draw the line. 

Can you see the ridiculousness of outlawing FGM, but still allowing religious circumcision ? 

I’m assuming, of course, that as a right-thinking chap you didn’t have your laddie’s penis mutilated in the name of religion, did you? ;)