Politics

Christmas Tree

4 minutes ago, NJS said:

Excuse my ignorance but what's wrong with saying Eire?

It was often used in a patronising way by the English. After independence the UK government refused to address us as Ireland, only as Eire in an incredibly petty way in order to continue their dominance over us. It isn't a cardinal sin these days but not something to be advised.

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Nothing as long as you're speaking Gaelic. Are you?

No but I think place names should be left in their native language rather than translated into English - I'd have no problem calling Germany Deutschland etc, etc.

4 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Swinson the yellow Tory. 

I seem to recall suggesting that she might do just such a thing a few weeks ago. Not sure how to feel about it truthfully. Any referendum can save us from Brexit which has to be a win based on where we are, but enabling the Tories is going to lose her left wing voters...

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Looks like it has since been retweeted by BBCNW. 

so someone with a political agenda noticed, and someone more senior has tried to cover up the move.

deleting a tweet to protect patel is indefensible

if that indeed why it was deleted 

17 minutes ago, NJS said:

No but I think place names should be left in their native language rather than translated into English - I'd have no problem calling Germany Deutschland etc, etc.

Fancy a treat for dinner tonight, but I can’t decide between a Zhongguo or a Bharat. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

if that indeed why it was deleted 

1. Fight fire with fire.

2. Did the BBC at any point make that clear, prior to taking it down?

3. Who cares, it's made the video even more visible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

1. Fight fire with fire.

2. Did the BBC at any point make that clear, prior to taking it down?

3. Who cares, it's made the video even more visible.

1) fight lies with lies? 

2) dunno, but we all quickly jump to conclusions in this era of misinformation

3) i'm glad people can see the clip of patel blaming the poor for being poor 

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

1) fight lies with lies? 

2) dunno, but we all quickly jump to conclusions in this era of misinformation

3) i'm glad people can see the clip of patel blaming the poor for being poor 

It wasn't a lie when they posted it unless the BBC actually announced beforehand what was going on. In fairness to Momentum, if they don't call out the BBC for being biased, there is nothing to combat the right doing it, which only makes their arguments seem true.

Also, I'm curious, what exactly did they 'fix' about the video. Unless it was misrepresenting her in some way, which I would understand a correction for, I'm struggling to think of any good reason to take it down and re-post it.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It wasn't a lie when they posted it unless the BBC actually announced beforehand what was going on. In fairness to Momentum, if they don't call out the BBC for being biased, there is nothing to combat the right doing it, which only makes their arguments seem true.

Also, I'm curious, what exactly did they 'fix' about the video. Unless it was misrepresenting her in some way, which I would understand a correction for, I'm struggling to think of any good reason to take it down and re-post it.

Apparently the narrative that was included on the tweet wasn't a direct quote from the video. The Tories complained, so down it came and went back up with the narrative fixed. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Apparently the narrative that was included on the tweet wasn't a direct quote from the video. The Tories complained, so down it came and went back up with the narrative fixed. 

Could that not have simply been edited in the tweet itself? I don't use twitter so I'm not sure of the editing functions.

Fair enough then I suppose. At least I can see why the Tories wanted it down, and why the BBC felt compelled to do it. 

I still think the bigger the racket Momentum makes about the whole thing, the better.

6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Gove was saying that people using food banks were guilty of making "poor financial decisions" the other day. Unfortunately, the little cunt didn't say it on video so it's not as readily consumable. 

British workers as among the worst idlers in the world.

Patel in Britannia unchained.

It's rare that an opposition party has had ammunition like Corbyn currently has. 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Patel in Britannia unchained.

It's rare that an opposition party has had ammunition like Corbyn currently has. 

It's also rare that an opposition party has had to face an issue that transcends regular politics and because of which, no matter what he says short of becoming a more right wing extreme version of the leading party, he will not be able to win over any of the 46% of the country who want it.

4 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's also rare that an opposition party has had to face an issue that transcends regular politics and because of which, no matter what he says short of becoming a more right wing extreme version of the leading party, he will not be able to win over any of the 46% of the country who want it.

True, but do you think he takes the most of the opportunities presented to him? It really felt like the other day in the debate he had the chance to kick Johnson in the nads but he held back too much imo. 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

True, but do you think he takes the most of the opportunities presented to him? It really felt like the other day in the debate he had the chance to kick Johnson in the nads but he held back too much imo. 

No I agree on that, Corbyn is frustratingly civilised.

However, I did notice after the fact that amongst the unsure voters, Corbyn won that debate handily. 60:40. That's the only group we stand any chance of making a play for.

EDIT: source

Edited by Rayvin

Andrew Neil is an arsehole but I love watching him do a takedown on a thick Tory. He's got Truss on today. 

In 2015 you pledged to build 200,000 new starter homes. How many of those have you built? 

Well I don't have the exact figures in front of me but-

Well it's an easy number to remember: zero. 

:lol:

• Haha 3