Politics

Christmas Tree

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I've accepted this line for some time, but it's becoming clear to me that actually, those saying it on the right wing are absolute fruitcakes who struggle to summon up a rational thought more than once or twice per day. They "opinion" isn't worth the same as someone who isn't a total cretin.

As such, I think we may now be reaching a point where it would be useful to actually see the BBC demonstrating any semblance of pro-left bias. Because the pro-right bias, as is often pointed out, is fairly hard to ignore.

plenty on the right are disgruntled with the beeb's alleged leftie bias - in its news reporting as well as panel shows 

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/08/02/the-bbc-is-failing-in-its-obligation-to-be-fair/

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/john-humphrys-radio-4-retires-bbc-bias-left-wing-liberal-today-programme-a9114711.html

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8772961/bbc-spreading-fake-news/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/11/13/andrew-neil-attacks-bbc-left-wing-bias-comedy-shows/

9 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Ok so - the first one tries to make a point about Brexit that I could have had time for, but it turns out it's all anecdotal with no supporting evidence, so I'm disregarding it. Also stress that remain isn't a left wing principle, it's a centrist principle.

Second one the same, with the added point that the chap making the claims offers no insight into why the public voted the way it did whatsoever.

The Sun, shockingly, actually makes a claim with some supporting evidence - so fair enough the Sun. Still disagree but at least there's an argument to be had about it.

Comedy I rather fancy isn't a politically motivated line so much as a market based analysis line.

Edited by Rayvin

It does indeed seem to be, even the posts he makes with links to back up his claims. The Tory one seems to have quite a few stories. Also there's no number of search results shown, did he manually count them?

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

there is misinformation on all sides, lads.

we should be grateful for the beeb. there aren't many news outlets out there with quite the same integrity

Don’t listen to him lads, he’s part of a mysterious cabal of north-east media types. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

I was sceptical about the conservatives breaking into Labour heartlands. Looks like it's happening. It's getting harder to see a Corbyn come back like last time. Depressing doesn't cover it. :suicide:

Let’s not wet the bed just yet. Still three weeks to go 

Yes I saw that too. It's depressing but honestly, we're going to lose some seats like that.

It's going to be a weird situation where the middle class left and centre vote Labour out of fear of what the Tories will do to the working class who are voting for them.

Edited by Rayvin

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Yes I saw that too. It's depressing but honestly, we're going to lose some seats like that.

It's going to be a weird situation where the middle class left and centre vote Labour out of fear of what the Tories will do to the working class who are voting for them.

Aye :lol:

Weird situation where two voter groups are voting against their own interests. 

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Let’s not wet the bed just yet. Still three weeks to go 

It does seem very likely Johnson will get an overall majority  though, unless something radical happens. But what could that be? They've been caught lying, cheating, being clueless, offensive and are self evidently complete upper class cunts. NOTHING gets through to these voters in the shitholes worst affected by austerity. Literally nothing. They're going down and taking the rest of us with them.

Honestly,  I'm just hoping Johnson isn't as bad in office as I fear. Pathetic, I know  

Edited by Renton

1 minute ago, Renton said:

It does seem very likely Johnson will get an overall majority  though, unless something radical happens. But what could that be? They've been caught lying, cheating, being clueless, offensive and are self evidently complete upper class cunts. NOTHING gets through to these voters in the shitholes worst affected by austerity. Literally nothing. They're going down and taking the rest of us with them.

Honestly,  I'm just hoping Johnson isn't as bad in office as I fear. Pathetic, I know  

I think that's a slim hope - the Tories are being unashamed about their views now, and I think that will pervade the next government. Brexit is the carte blanche they need to get anything they want.

I think releasing the Russian papers might help us, if somehow, someone can be compelled to do it. Other than that, I think we have to rely on the mother of all grassroots campaigns from Labour. The Lib Dems certainly don't appear to be about to do us any favours particularly.

I'm moving to Scotland just after the election in anticipation of the inevitable divorce in a couple of years.

14 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think that's a slim hope - the Tories are being unashamed about their views now, and I think that will pervade the next government. Brexit is the carte blanche they need to get anything they want.

I think releasing the Russian papers might help us, if somehow, someone can be compelled to do it. Other than that, I think we have to rely on the mother of all grassroots campaigns from Labour. The Lib Dems certainly don't appear to be about to do us any favours particularly.

I'm moving to Scotland just after the election in anticipation of the inevitable divorce in a couple of years.

I'd still maintain the LDs are after the soft conservatives. Trouble is, Swinson is turning out to be pretty unlikeable.the more people see, the less they like. But if they don't put a dent in the conservatives down south it'll be even worse.

Johnson doesn't seem to have an idealistic bone in his body, he just wants power. Honestly don't know where that will take us. We either choose relatively close ties with Europe or we go all out to be the 51st state. It's essentially a dichotomous choice. It looks like the latter right now which is literally the worst outcome I could ever have imagined.

Dunno about Scotland. If the secede, the economic shock will be horrendous. I can see major trouble ahead in all scenarios.

Just now, Renton said:

I'd still maintain the LDs are after the soft conservatives. Trouble is, Swinson is turning out to be pretty unlikeable.the more people see, the less they like. But if they don't put a dent in the conservatives down south it'll be even worse.

Johnson doesn't seem to have an idealistic bone in his body, he just wants power. Honestly don't know where that will take us. We either choose relatively close ties with Europe or we go all out to be the 51st state. It's essentially a dichotomous choice. It looks like the latter right now which is literally the worst outcome I could ever have imagined.

Dunno about Scotland. If the secede, the economic shock will be horrendous. I can see major trouble ahead in all scenarios.

Sure, but if Scotland secedes and joins the EU, I can then leave Scotland and go somewhere else.

Agree on LDs, but I'm not sure it's working. If Johnson takes straight out of the Trump playbook, it can only get worse from here IMO. The added difficulty will be that those who voted for him, based on the Brexit fiasco, will just double down. Even when their lives are falling apart around them, they will double down. We've learned this much. They lack the emotional maturity and sense of self to be able to actually learn from anything.

Eventually, I think we have to conclude that this just isn't worth it. If the EU makes rejoining it on an individual basis even remotely accessible, I'm gone. Fuck this country.