4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The only valid argument against Scotland leaving the Union is trade. 60% of Scotland's exports are to the rest of the UK. If you start putting borders up then that's going to be hit badly.

Now I may be wrong here but I know that number is very hard to quantify. I am sure I read somewhere it also counts goods sold to England which are then sent on to the EU. Again I may be wrong here.

• Replies 23.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ewerk

• Rayvin

• Christmas Tree

• Renton

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Roses are red Violets are blue Please vote for Labour Unless you're a Jew

But surely.....    

Word ...          

Posted Images

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

So how do you join the EU with a massive open border with a non-EU country?

Goods are checked at the borders of Scotland with the EU, like the proposed plan in the WA. Container ports and airports. rUK will rejoin EEA at some point anyway. 

Just now, Renton said:

Goods are checked at the borders of Scotland with the EU, like the proposed plan in the WA. Container ports and airports. rUK will rejoin EEA at some point anyway. 

So one foot in and one foot out of the SM and CU. It isn't exactly frictionless and I'm no entirely sure it's something the EU would countenance.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

So one foot in and one foot out of the SM and CU. It isn't exactly frictionless and I'm no entirely sure it's something the EU would countenance.

Its not ideal but I think the EU would definitely accept this as a political win. EFTA might be a better fit though. 

Oh, and I forgot, the large majority of fishing grounds in the UK are Scottish, so they get to keep the fish as well!

Edited by Renton
7 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

Your experience of living there is that the National Anthem is the worst in the world?

No, read my post about the bigotry and the obsession with England as to why I didn’t like living there. I haven’t experienced that anywhere else I’ve lived. As I said, I only really experience that on the west coast and Glasgow area. I didn’t get much of that in Edinburgh or the east coast. 

I didn’t say the anthem was the worst, I said it was the pettiest. A national anthem based on a 700 year old battle is just mental. ‘Scotland the Brave’ was far more celebratory. ‘Flower of Scotland’ just sounds like you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

1 minute ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

No, read my post about the bigotry and the obsession with England as to why I didn’t like living there. I haven’t experienced that anywhere else I’ve lived. As I said, I only really experience that on the west coast and Glasgow area. I didn’t get much of that in Edinburgh or the east coast. 

I didn’t say the anthem was the worst, I said it was the pettiest. A national anthem based on a 700 year old battle is just mental. ‘Scotland the Brave’ was far more celebratory. ‘Flower of Scotland’ just sounds like you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

It's still not as petty as God Save the Queen and isn't in fact the Scottish National Anthem.

14 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Hardly. Its a beautiful song imo, so what if it references historic battles. Ffs, GStQ is supposed to a UK.anthem and talks about subjugated the Scots! It also sounds shit.

Those days are past now,
And in the past
They must remain,
But we can still rise now,
And be the nation again,

Seems apt to me. But as said, isn't even an anthem anyway. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Hardly. Its a beautiful song imo, so what if it references historic battles. Ffs, GStQ is supposed to a UK.anthem and talks about subjugated the Scots! It also sounds shit.

Seems apt to me. But as said, isn't even an anthem anyway. 

If they must remain in the past then they should stop banging the fuck on about it in the song.

You’ll get no defence of GStQ from me, she can get tae hersel tae fuck, as the Scotch might say.

17 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

London gets the lion's share of everything.

I agree with that. The amount spent on Infrastructure in London (particularly on transport) is completely unfair. The bill for HS2, just to shave 30 mins off the journey to London (or whatever it is) is criminal. That amount of money could make a huge difference to the areas that have traditionally been overlooked.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I agree with that. The amount spent on Infrastructure in London (particularly on transport) is completely unfair. The bill for HS2, just to shave 30 mins off the journey to London (or whatever it is) is criminal. That amount of money could make a huge difference to the areas that have traditionally been overlooked.

Never mind HS2*, look at cross rail? Look at all the arts, historical stuff etc? 

*Had another letter from HS2 through the door and they're pausing the East line but carrying on to Manchester. Why the letter to me? Well if the East line which terminates at Leeds goes ahead they'll be using the facilities at chillingham road depot to maintain and clean the fleet so as it's close by I was part of a consultation. So I can pop round the corner and get on one of the trains if I want, provided I have experience as a fitter, electrician or as a cleaner. If I want to travel to London on it I'll have to travel to Yorkshire or Manchester unless I qualify as a train driver. :lol: Cheeky bastards sending me a letter about it.

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 2