Cup or Champions League

The Fish

Success  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly getting the top 4 finishes not only puts you financially in a better position but in turn it lets you attract the constant calibre of players you need to consistently challenge for cups.

I just want consistency, not win the fa cup and scrape avoiding relegation etc.

So you'd rather not win, so you have a better chance of winning?

So you'd rather not win, so you have a better chance of winning?

In the short term so that consistent winning in the long term is possible, I can see the reasoning.

Cup

But it's a self defeating argument. You want to finish in top four, because that leads to the ultimate goal, winning the Cup. So the answer to "which would you prefer; a Cup or top 4" is eventually and ultimately a trophy.

I don't trust Ashley with the CL money, so I can't put any stock in the argument that "finishing in the top 4 means financial prosperity and thus the funds to attract a higher calibre of players and advance the club." He'd pocket most of it and we'd be little better off. Nobody could take a Cup win away from us, however, and it'd be something to cherish for all our lives.

So yeah, cup.

But it's a self defeating argument. You want to finish in top four, because that leads to the ultimate goal, winning the Cup. So the answer to "which would you prefer; a Cup or top 4" is eventually and ultimately a trophy.

True but its achieving it in a different way, if we could do it in a way that sees us signing great players along the way rather than having a scrappy league season with a thin squad like our current one to get that cup win then the Top 4 route is the one to take.

It's not really, i want us to be a "power", not a flash in the pan

Aye, but to be pedantic, the question wasn't "consistent" top 4s, it was a one off.

The problem, of course, is that they needn't be mutually exclusive, but should I have posed it like:

In the surprising 2011/12 season the game that guarantees Newcastle's entry into the CL is on Thursday, the FA Cup final is on the Saturday. Their 1st team will deliver one, but not both; which one would you choose?

Aye, but to be pedantic, the question wasn't "consistent" top 4s, it was a one off.

The problem, of course, is that they needn't be mutually exclusive, but should I have posed it like:

In the surprising 2011/12 season the game that guarantees Newcastle's entry into the CL is on Thursday, the FA Cup final is on the Saturday. Their 1st team will deliver one, but not both; which one would you choose?

If we were to somehow win the cup this season..... http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22640095

Is winning half a dozen one off games this season more likely than finishing in the top 6? :unsure:

To win the Europa League after winning the FA cup this season would be pant wettingly good, so we wont...

Europa needs to go back to the old UEFA cup format, no seeds & straight knockout, and to have more of the 3/4th placed teams in it to make the early rounds watchable. Thing is the clubs want the guaranteed income that 6 televised games brings them. They cant see that drawing Milan or Marseille in the first few rouds would be fuckin mint for the fans.

Is winning half a dozen one off games this season more likely than finishing in the top 6? :unsure:

Yeah, especially if it's 3 lower league clubs

If we were an ambitious club that would use the money to further push on, and we had won a trophy in say the last 5-10 years, then top 4 makes more sense. If we were say Liverpool I'd take the top 4.

As it is, fa cup without a shadow of a doubt.

If you wouldn't immediately fall victim to a spontaneous spunk explosion seeing Coloccini lifting the FA Cup this season, you must be mental. That all day for me like. Monkey off our back, gigantic day on the piss in London, city up here jumping for a week afterwards, banish Ronnie Bastard Redford in the bin, Sir Shola Ameobi of Fenham (soon renamed Ameobiville) and Pardew suddenly going mad in his post-match interview, calling Joe Kinnear a cowardly lion-haired cumsplash, dropping the mic and throwing cans of lager into our Wembley allocation like Stone Cold Steve Austin. Champions League qualification couldn't possibly compare.