Newcastle United v Arsenal

JonTheMag

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could see what he was doing tried to catch the keeper out at the near post like he did a couple of times at the weekend, no harm but if he'd forced a save you'd all be going "ooooo unlucky!"

he scuffed it, it happens and the box was packed. six of one tbh

This is what I mean when I say Newcastle fans make excuses for flair players. Ant man, it was a selfish decision and no ifs, ands or buts change that.

Could see what he was doing tried to catch the keeper out at the near post like he did a couple of times at the weekend, no harm but if he'd forced a save you'd all be going "ooooo unlucky!"

he scuffed it, it happens and the box was packed. six of one tbh

HBA is to you what Shane is to CT.

Didn't deserve to lose that one, but you're asking for trouble giving fouls away that close to goal. Soft foul to be given, but that's the line Tiote plays.

People jumping on Ben Arfa ffs when he's brought on solely to try and score - what else could he do when the only other NUFC shirt in the area is being marked by about 4 guys? :lol: Should've played from the off in place of Gouffran. Nevermind he perfectly teed-up Remy for a header that was missed.

If Debuchy's header had gone in then you're looking at a share of the points or even us grinding out a win. Plenty of graft shown there by most of the team to put this result down as a blip.

I think our approach was fine overall. Had we started with the side that finished, we'd have been carved open. We've set up shop to attack teams before and it has backfired badly.

Our side was set up solidly from the back and it was only an iffy free kick (admittedly badly defended) that let them in.

The push in the last 10 minutes could have opened them up on another day but it wasn't to be.

Edited by BigWalrus

I think people are being overly harsh on HBA as well - he tried putting other people in plenty of times as well, but we had Shola against three centre backs - and our crosses, while frequently quite good, found no one all afternoon. He was the only player I believed could score.

Fucking idiotic from Ben Arfa taking the shot on there.

Sorry but there was only one player outside the six and another player out in the corner of the box that were well marked by at least six Arsenal players. Ben Arfa could have done better, yes, but it wasn't "idiotic" by all means. Our players up front have to make a better effort at getting open and throwing themselves at some of the balls that do get through.

Disappointing result, I think it should have been a free kick as it was a foul on Anita before their free kick. Very disappointed with the players wussing out of some things, think Gouffran could have dived in but took a step back and Remy also moved backwards as when the ball flicked back it was in the area Remy should have been in. Ben Arfa was good when he come on but he needs to be told to fucking pass, shooting towards the near post was pure fucking stupidity and greed if he was going to shoot it had to be to the far post but he really should have been putting in a cross as the 6 yard box was packed. Debuchy was class again imo, Anita was disappointing, Remy was anonymous again, Cabaye started bright but then faded a little and sat too deep when we were pressing them.

Despite them leading I give Arsenal approximately zero chance of winning the league based on the nervousness of their attempt to close out the game. Not the stuff winners are made of.

All HBA needed to do was shoot across the keeper - even a miss hit could take a deflection or rebound off the keeper. If he goes near post it has to be pin point accurate as well as powerful to beat the keeper. In a box full of defenders with tired, flailing legs, firing it across the keeper was the sensible option.

Never mind.

Despite them leading I give Arsenal approximately zero chance of winning the league based on the nervousness of their attempt to close out the game. Not the stuff winners are made of.

I didn't understand that - it literally invited pressure. If they'd kept Walcott on we would have been unable to commit so aggressively for fear of him tearing away.

I guess Wenger will argue that it worked though.

Did we decide not to make attacking headers today btw? Gouffran, Williamson and Shola all had excellent opportunities to attack the ball with their head in and around the 6 yard box. Every one of them bottled it.