The Dying of the FA Cup

The Fish

Even though it isn't one of my most memorable games, the most emotional I've felt at a game where I felt a lump in my throat was at Old Trafford when the whistle went when we beat Sheff Utd to get to Wembley for our first FA cup final in my life of supporting our club, (I was in nappies in 1974 for our last cup final). Even though I knew I wouldn't get a ticket it was a feeling of payback and a reward for all the shite and away days spent getting beat at places like Bournemouth and Stoke. It was only a second division side we beat but it wasn't the opposition that mattered, it was the reward and our destination. Finishing eighth doesn't compare.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This made me wonder what the prize money is.

Didn't realise that you win money for each round.

http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/more/prize-fund

Compared to what you get in the league - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2327063/Premier-League-prize-money-table-final-game-2013-season.html

finish a couple of places higher then its better than winning the cup.

A revamp of the CL and Uefa cup would help. Move half of the CL teams back into the Uefa, get rid of all the minnows from the Uefa and the pointless group stage, keep the champions league for the champions, or top two, would see the Uefa become a more credible competition again, attract better TV revenues and more worth bothering with. That in turn would give PL teams more incentive to take the FA cup more seriously

A revamp of the CL and Uefa cup would help. Move half of the CL teams back into the Uefa, get rid of all the minnows from the Uefa and the pointless group stage, keep the champions league for the champions, or top two, would see the Uefa become a more credible competition again, attract better TV revenues and more worth bothering with. That in turn would give PL teams more incentive to take the FA cup more seriously

That and bring back the Cup winners Cup

It'll never happen simply because it won't create better TV revenue.

It'll never happen simply because it won't create better TV revenue.

Audiences create TV revenue. Whatever increases audiences of the Europa League will increase demand for advertising, which will drive up advertising prices which will in turn drive up bids from TV companies.

Audience is king.

Audiences create TV revenue. Whatever increases audiences of the Europa League will increase demand for advertising, which will drive up advertising prices which will in turn drive up bids from TV companies.

Audience is king.

Exactly, however the clubs which would miss out by going in a competition more like the UEFA cup of old won't want to take any pay cut at all. As a spectacle UEFA have devalued their own competition but this was brought on by greedy clubs in my opinion trying to cement themselves at the top. UEFA would have to have balls to change this which they just don't have. The branding of the UEFA cup to the Europa League was a disaster waiting to happen.

Audience is king.

Exactly, which was the driving force behind the expansion of the CL in the first place. More/better games in the Europa League won't entirely offset the loss of revenue due to the reduction in the number and quality of CL games.

Lots of good points.

20 years ago, when ticket sales were a bigger proportion of revenue, the extra match day revenue was enough of an incentive to progress.

Now, the extra match is a burden to the PL sides, adding unnecessary pressure to the league campaign for negligible reward.

The rewards of the PL and CL have grown exponentially whilst the FA Cup has stagnated. They need to make the rewards greater otherwise it was always be neglected.

£10m for the winners would do it.

There's something obscene about the idea that making the FA Cup a £10m prize is the only way to make it popular again. It just further underlines how broken the sport is.

By which I mean that if they ever did make it "worthwhile" financially, the renewed interest of the PL also-rans would simply be offset by that of the big clubs such that their dominance continued with an additional revenue stream.

There's something obscene about the idea that making the FA Cup a £10m prize is the only way to make it popular again. It just further underlines how broken the sport is.

By which I mean that if they ever did make it "worthwhile" financially, the renewed interest of the PL also-rans would simply be offset by that of the big clubs such that their dominance continued with an additional revenue stream.

Oh aye, I agree, it stinks.

The best result for me would be to reduce the rewards of the PL, reduce the rewards of the CL and reduce the player wages. But that's not going to happen.

I feel less and less attached to football as a spectator sport each year, and I don't think its just me getting older. There is so much about football that is truly and utterly abhorrent.