The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've not really played a two striker formation for a while now because we've not had the players to do it.

Could you say Remy had a strike partner for much of last season? Cisse was at his best with Ba and HBA wide of him but I don't think either of them were playing as strikers. Actually when Ba and Cisse both played as strikers it didn't look good at all.

To play with two out and out strikers you need two wingers and we've not had that for years. Not many teams play it now, they have wide forwards and withdrawn forwards. We have the players to do that with De Jong, Cabella and HBA but I can't see Fatem playing again so Sissoko will most likely be on the right (assuming he's not sold) but he's a much deeper player.

Pards is hardly going to say 'yeah this kid is just a backup, a gamble really- we'll try and develop him' - on signing day. Get real people.

Agreed. It's madness to write us off signing another striker at this early stage.

I know as supporters we're fixated on strikers, but or CD partnership is also a massive issue imo. One solid top tier CD would add 10 points over a season.

I don't know if Siem is going to be part of the fix but we also lack real intelligent leadership on the pitch and I don't mean the gung ho kind.

Edited by Park Life

I don't understand this "Well, we're definitely done recruiting now" attitude. All evidence points to an effort to strengthen the first team, so why would areas that have been publicly identified long ago to be weak, be left in a weakened state?

I see Ayoze and Riviere as replacements for Shola and Ranger, not Remy or Cisse. I still reckon we'll get another striker to replace Remy, because frankly everyone can see we need it.

I personally believe we need to vastly improve our Central Defence, but I don't think that will be addressed as I don't believe it's seen as a problem by the management team.

Great teams are built on great defenses but we aren't close to being a great team. For weaker teams, a good striker is essential. The teams that go down nearly always struggle in that area whereas teams with a weak defence but a strong attack are usually ok.

The way our team is shaping up, a fifteen goal striker would see us comfortable. A top centreback could see us able to challenge for something (europe or a cup if we were to make the effort).

DeJong seems (from what's been said about him and the fact the he's been named vice captain) to be the type of leader you're talking about.

Great teams are built on great defenses but we aren't close to being a great team. For weaker teams, a good striker is essential. The teams that go down nearly always struggle in that area whereas teams with a weak defence but a strong attack are usually ok.

The way our team is shaping up, a fifteen goal striker would see us comfortable. A top centreback could see us able to challenge for something (europe or a cup if we were to make the effort).

DeJong seems (from what's been said about him and the fact the he's been named vice captain) to be the type of leader you're talking about.

As long as they've got a good 'keeper.

As long as they've got a good 'keeper.

Well as long as they have a good shot stopper. Most of the time these teams haven't had that good keepers. We did well with Pav who, as much as I loved him, wasn't that great an all round keeper (good shot stopper though).

I don't understand this "Well, we're definitely done recruiting now" attitude. All evidence points to an effort to strengthen the first team, so why would areas that have been publicly identified long ago to be weak, be left in a weakened state?

I see Ayoze and Riviere as replacements for Shola and Ranger, not Remy or Cisse. I still reckon we'll get another striker to replace Remy, because frankly everyone can see we need it.

I personally believe we need to vastly improve our Central Defence, but I don't think that will be addressed as I don't believe it's seen as a problem by the management team.

Taylor, Mbwia & Williamson are all more than competent to play along side Coloccini.

However there has been strong rumours all summer that we are trying to offload Mbwia, so maybe the club agree with you.

Taylor, Mbwia & Williamson are all more than competent to play along side Coloccini.

However there has been strong rumours all summer that we are trying to offload Mbwia, so maybe the club agree with you.

I worry about a season where we can only call on 2 of 3 centrebacks, especially when two of them are similarly average and the third is good, but not getting any younger.

I worry about a season where we can only call on 2 of 3 centrebacks, especially when two of them are similarly average and the third is good, but not getting any younger.

Most teams have three first team centre backs and at least one youth player. Having anymore makes it difficult to run training.

Everton for example only have Distin, Jagielka & Stones

The problem is that Coloccini has been on a decline for 18 months tbh and Williamson isn't the kind of centre half you want playing more than 10 or so games a season. We have the successor for Coloccini in Yanga-Mbwia, we just need an improvement on Williamson. In typical Newcastle fashion, we're obviously going to offload Yanga-Mbwia though.

The problem is that Coloccini has been on a decline for 18 months tbh and Williamson isn't the kind of centre half you want playing more than 10 or so games a season. We have the successor for Coloccini in Yanga-Mbwia, we just need an improvement on Williamson. In typical Newcastle fashion, we're obviously going to offload Yanga-Mbwia though.

It's so frustrating as I honestly think he could be a cracking centre half in the future, he just needs to grow in confidence, experience and could probably do with bulking up a bit too.

Most teams have three first team centre backs and at least one youth player. Having anymore makes it difficult to run training.

Everton for example only have Distin, Jagielka & Stones

My concern is that Steven Taylor and Williamson aren't good enough. Colocinni will get injured and when he does, we'll get hammered.

I'm not convinced about MYM, but we haven't given him much of a chance. We really need someone who's ready and reliable though. You'd think to replace one of the other two, but we're only noocarsle we can't afford to have a purple on the bench.

Even though we have signed Perez, Colback, De Jong, Cabella, Rivere and Janmaat, I still reckon we need to bring in 2-3 more faces in. Joel Campbell has been spoken about and I think he'd be a really good signing if we could even get him on loan. Another striker would be nice and a centre half as well as I don't particularly like the thought of Saylor and Mbiwa lining up together when Colocinni get's injured :icon_lol:

...Still can't really believe we actually signed anyone. Now we're going on about possible fifth and sixth additions.

I was fearing a Blackpool kind of scenario.

...Still can't really believe we actually signed anyone. Now we're going on about possible fifth and sixth additions.

I was fearing a Blackpool kind of scenario.

We bloody need them!! We won't improve if we insist on bringing on shite like Obertan. That guy should have been binned years ago.

Obertan could have been turned into a decent impact sub with a bit of decent coaching. Even in that first season, he was useful against tired legs (Blackburn and Bolton away). It would take a good coach though since he's obviously got no footballing brain whatsoever.

I'm not convinced about MYM, but we haven't given him much of a chance. We really need someone who's ready and reliable though. You'd think to replace one of the other two, but we're only noocarsle we can't afford to have a purple on the bench.

If only we had got Douglas when he was available. Shame we missed out on that one (when I say missed out, I really mean the buffoon had not heard of him, so we turned him down just before he signed). Where did he end up - Inter wasn't it? How did he get on, does anyone know?

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic