• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really disagree tbh, I'd had a few last night and the way ADPs post was phrased was pretty unsavoury to say the least when referring to people who are supposed to support the same club. However, there 5.136 billion reasons why going or not going won't make a blind bit of difference. Those with a sky subscription would br better chucking that in tbh it would have more effect.

To be fair, I'd had a few last night as well and my post was born from a moment of frustration and exhaustion at the club. I just find it hard to understand how people can take that amount of shite from Ashley et al, bitterly complain about it, and still pack out the stadium. Surely there's got to be a point where you say 'enough is enough'? If not in any protest, then surely for your own peace of mind.

I love the club, I love its supporters. But to go to the toon nowadays feels like you are part of a mass lobotomy. There is absolutely nothing there. The footy is shite, but we've had shite football before. What is really bad is the atmosphere. I know that on a Saturday people want to go and watch some footy, and that's great. But going to St. James' now, you aren't going to watch football, you are going to watch the application of a conservative business model.

I agree with what you say about packing in a sky subscription, though it makes no difference. Football has become a dark parody of itself.

See edit on previous page, or feel free to just be sarky if you don't want a serious discussion about it

I wasn't being sarky and I hadn't seen your edit. I think it was fairly obvious I was being serious on the matter too. Obviously there are some well run junior clubs and I would certainly try and seek those out if the bairns were interested in playing. I think though, to an extent, anecdotes about the state of grassroots football are informative, but overall it would appear all is not well. The FA themselves were rather damning in their assessment in the recent report about it, which is significant given they were essentially reporting on something which is their own responsibility. I think you may have taken comments as being anti-amateur football in general. I'm anything but, although I do feel the game has consistently failed to move on in this country as we're having the same discussions about coaching and resources that we were when I was a kid. And the national team weren't able to find enough technically proficient players then either. This isn't quite the debate we were just having (which was more about general disillusionment and not really being arsed about getting my kids into the game, which is something I certainly never envisaged). I would put this to you though: if these charter clubs are doing their job and they are numerous (which is what you seemed to be inferring) then why are we still so far behind Germany, Spain et al?

Edited by Alex

Probably because it's only something that's come about in recent years in this country whereas European countries started down that path 10-15 years ago. It's not a fail safe method either. FAs tried to emulate Spain for years and they got humped at the last major tournament.

Probably because it's only something that's come about in recent years in this country whereas European countries started down that path 10-15 years ago. It's not a fail safe method either. FAs tried to emulate Spain for years and they got humped at the last major tournament.

Do you not think that highlights a massive problem anyway though? I.e. there's no innovative strategy or national identity. It's pointless trying to emulate Spain, Germany or whoever too closely as by the time that takes effect the game will have moved on in any case. It's always been the way of the FA as long as I can remember i.e. we need to copy the ____ method.

I would try and emulate them to the extent that you need to have a large number of coaches qualified to a high level. We don't even do that though, despite the massive amounts of money in the game. We have far less coaches than Holland, Spain and Germany. Not only that but the hours needed to get the badges in this country are less.

Do you not think that highlights a massive problem anyway though? I.e. there's no innovative strategy or national identity. It's pointless trying to emulate Spain, Germany or whoever too closely as by the time that takes effect the game will have moved on in any case. It's always been the way of the FA as long as I can remember i.e. we need to copy the ____ method.

I would try and emulate them to the extent that you need to have a large number of coaches qualified to a high level. We don't even do that though, despite the massive amounts of money in the game. We have far less coaches than Holland, Spain and Germany. Not only that but the hours needed to get the badges in this country are less.

I completely agree with this. For a long time I've thought that our national identity as a football country has been based on emulation rather than innovation.

FA had some interesting things to say iirc about the TV rights deal and the percentage that would eventually trickle down to grassroots football. They didn't make much attempt to hide the fact that the money generated by the £5bn+ deal would mean little in real terms for grassroots.

Edited by ADP

I wasn't being sarky and I hadn't seen your edit. I think it was fairly obvious I was being serious on the matter too. Obviously there are some well run junior clubs and I would certainly try and seek those out if the bairns were interested in playing. I think though, to an extent, anecdotes about the state of grassroots football are informative, but overall it would appear all is not well. The FA themselves were rather damning in their assessment in the recent report about it, which is significant given they were essentially reporting on something which is their own responsibility. I think you may have taken comments as being anti-amateur football in general. I'm anything but, although I do feel the game has consistently failed to move on in this country as we're having the same discussions about coaching and resources that we were when I was a kid. And the national team weren't able to find enough technically proficient players then either. This isn't quite the debate we were just having (which was more about general disillusionment and not really being arsed about getting my kids into the game, which is something I certainly never envisaged). I would put this to you though: if these charter clubs are doing their job and they are numerous (which is what you seemed to be inferring) then why are we still so far behind Germany, Spain et al?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jun/01/football-coach-shortage-england

The PL gives the impression that the game is thriving in Eng yet it is full of foreign players and foreign coaches. :lol:

Do we not need to be upgraded as a training centre before we can increase the size of our catchment area, or am I just making stuff up again...

The catchment area thing is bollocks, too easy to get round it.

Also half of our catchment area is in the North Sea.

Seems weird to limit Newcastle to 5 miles when the closest league club is 15miles.

Imagine the poor kid born with the talent of Messi, but the misfortune of living in Wardley,

Seems weird to limit Newcastle to 5 miles when the closest league club is 15miles.

Imagine the poor kid born with the talent of Messi, but the misfortune of living in Wardley,

Or Stevie's ultimate nightmare of prospective kids born in SS being deemed too OOT to qualify.

Or Stevie's ultimate nightmare of prospective kids born in SS being deemed too OOT to qualify.

:lol:

I'm the last person who can say that these days, considering I live at Horsley Hill for now. 4.5 miles from the SOS, with not one mackem accent around here though thank god.

You live 4 mile from Sunderland and there aren't any Mackems accents? :lol:

Never hear them apart from one bloke who looks like a penguin. He's from Whitburn originally which is the start of the ugly mackem accents. South Shields people sound more like us than people from Chester Le Street and Durham put it that way.