In the respect of a new buyer, I think we'd be better off having a real loan from a bank. That would mean the prospective buyer would only have to pay the value of the club and then keep paying off the loan. As it is, they would (I assume) have to pay off the loan to the fat cunt as well.

Couldn't they just take out a bank loan to pay Ashley?

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't they just take out a bank loan to pay Ashley?

They could, but they'd probably have to do what the glazers did and secure it against the club - and the gearing would probably be in the 'unsafe' category.

Have to agree with this.

We need to bring in players who actually want to play for our football club, says former Newcastle United favourite Rob Lee

Would you take Frank Lampard at Newcastle United?

Imagine for a minute Chelsea’s record goalscorer, available on a free in June, suddenly announced he fancied seeing out his playing days at St James’ Park.

I would drive him up there myself!

Lampard may be nearer 40 than 30, but he is still good for 10-plus goals a season. He is a terrific pro, would be a great leader in the dressing room and is capable of at least being available or most games.

What is not to like? The answer to that question is, surprisingly, quite a lot - according to the club’s new managing-director.

Lee Charnley this week seemed to dismiss altogether the prospect of the club going for an older player, any older player, because he was not value for money in the sense they would not make any money out of them.

Liverpool did not make a penny from Gary McAllister when he signed for them at 35. They did, however, win the League Cup, FA Cup and UEFA Cup with the veteran pulling the midfield strings.

I would call that value for money.

Kevin Keegan paid £1.5m for a 32-year-old whose best days were apparently behind him.

Peter Beardsley did okay. It is fair to say Kevin got his value from that bit if business.

I would much rather we spent a bit of money on a guy in his thirties who knows what an honour it is to play in that black-and-white jersey, than another Frenchman who is only here because he sees the club as a stepping stone.

I played until I was 36. Forget about age. Look instead at what the player can do.

It was with some alarm this week I read Charnley saying the club would only sign one or two players a year.

They would only be a certain age so they add sell-on value.

That is not good enough. You cannot stand still in the Premier League – it is the same as going backwards – and if we only sign two importst, probably from France this summer, then I fear for us.

We are going lose four or five first-team players. I am sure Cheick Tiote (pictured below) will go, especially if he can do something in the World Cup. Loic Remy, we know, will not sign, and I would imagine Hatem Ben Arfa will be sold, while Mathieu Debuchy will not be here much longer.

We need to replace them AND strengthen. That is six or seven. One or two (and this means it could be on) new players just will not cut it. Let’s get back to this value- for-money thing. I do not have any problem with that.

Yet are we getting that right now from the guys who have arrived over the last 18 months? I cannot comment on whether they are playing for Alan Pardew right now because I don’t know.

I did think they would put on a show against Manchester United, but they could not even raise themselves for that. To me, it looked as if they did not want to be there.

Is shelling out a decent amount of money on non-English players who take time to settle and some, not all, don’t make it, getting Newcastle any sort of value at this moment in time? Of course not.

Getting back to Lampard, I could not believe it when Chelsea spent £11m. I thought it was way much – but when you look at what the guy has given the club then it is a bargain!

I would love to see Newcastle spend money on some British players. I have two in mind – Jordan Rhodes and Danny Ings.

Both are scoring goals for fun in the Championship and would cost a bit more than a French player, but they would walk to Newcastle to play for our football club.

If over a period of four years either or both score 20 goals a season, then that is value.

To be fair, if we signed Rhodes and he scored 20 in his first campaign, we would sell him for a massive profit.

I don’t care about someone’s age.

I don’t care how much we pay for them.

I also don’t care where the come from, although we need a lot more British lads in the squad.

What I care about most of all is, are they the right player for Newcastle United.

That is the only thing Charnley and the United board should be concerned about.

Charnley warnley. He can say what he likes, he's just another Mike Ashley gimp at the end of the day. It's Ashley's way, not Kinnear, not Wise, Llambias or Chris Mort. Lee Charnley for fuck sake!

It's got to the stage now where I'd rather the club had dropped down the leagues and Ashley had cut his losses (if he'd have done so) rather than be sat in the state we're in now. We're just a non-entity of a club, nothing exciting or interesting about us and we're run so badly in way of any thought to ambition I just don't care anymore.

• 10 months later...

“We want to send out a message of support to John, the staff and the team for the 13 games remaining.

“What we have in John is an individual who is doing absolutely everything he can to achieve positive results.

“The staff and players have responded very well to John and the changes he has made on a daily basis.

“He is Newcastle United through and through and we all know how deeply he cares about this club.”

“I know that from first thing in the morning until the last thing at night he is giving it everything he’s got and driving the staff and players.

“He is desperate to get the right results.”

Carver endured a chant of “Are you Pardew in disguise” at Selhurst Park, with Charnley adding: “He shares the same aim as we all do – that is to finish as high up the Premier League table as we can possibly finish.”

“On that basis we felt that some of the chants that were aimed at him at the Crystal Palace game were not helpful or indeed deserved.

“What we would ask is for the final 13 games the supporters get behind John and get behind the team.

“We acknowledge that what happened at Palace was from a small group of fans, but we would encourage everyone to focus on getting behind John and the staff and team. It will make a real difference.”

I think I preferred it when he didn't speak.

:lol: What a cock end man, he should shut his fucking mouth. I'm sick of these cunts telling the fans to get behind the side, the fans of this team have managed well over 45k attendances the entire Ashley reign which is completely undeserved from the ambition being shown by the ownership. The only way fans can show their displeasure is by chanting things like "are you Pardew in disguise" and that chant was completely warranted, he tried the same gutless approach his former boss regularly used, he was also present for most of Pardew's reign and is just as culpable as Pardew in the whole being a total wanker stakes. The bloke is unqualified for his position.

Am reading 'all with smiling faces' and these pioneers of football who made our club from nothing are the absolute opposite of this cretin who isn't fit to sell the half time pies to our support never mind lecturing them on conforming to the Ashley blueprint. Fuck off Charnley, when the club finally gets fumigated your role won't be forgotten.

Carver will be sat in his NUFC jarmas and dressing gown, drinking cocoa from his NUFC mug, and absolutely loving that statement.

:lol: Re-reading it over and over again off a print out to himself and anyone around.

Edited by ADP

What songs should we sing? When I say we - I don't include myself, obviously.

You only win when you're spending.

John Carver, John Carver, Johnny Johnny Carver, he gets the job cos he's got the job, Johnny Johnny Carver.

Shoes off - so you'll buy new socks.

You're going home with a bag full of Adidas.

etc.

Edited by trophyshy

The fact that this statement was needed suggests to me that Carver is struggling with the negativity. Not all it's cracked up to be this managing lark. He strikes me as the sort of guy who'd just start coming apart at the seams if the fans push it too hard, he's a really emotional guy.