Newcastle United 2014

trooper

Only if you don't care about the actual football. We scraped wins and got stuffed fairly regularly even before that. We lost 4 times to Sunderland in 2 seasons with Cabaye here. Pardew is a shit manager and we have been shit at football for ages. We have been incredibly fortunate that both this season and last being shit has meant you stay up. Takes utter fucking dross to be relegated from the PL nowadays.

I don't disagree with the Pardew comments, he has been badly shown up since Cabaye went (and at times when Cabaye was here). BUT I'd rather win ugly than not win, sadly we seem only to be able to lose ugly just now, to a level, or at a frequency, which cannot be considered "exceptions" (as the Sunderland losses could have been considered at the time).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We were what 5 points off Everton, 3 off Man U, 5 clear of Southampton or thereabouts, that was not bad. Then we imploded.

Yeah the striking situation is poor, but not easy to legislate for the previously prolific Cisse completely losing his mojo. As for Remy I don't remember anyone crying about us not owning him when we got him on loan sadly he's scored so many he'll likely be offski to a CL team.

Until our implosion, no-one that I recall was up in arms about our striking options.

I was I have been absolutely consistent in thinking the man was shit.

How many games were memorable though? Chelsea and Man Utd?

To be honest, apart from KK's first manager spell there haven't been that many memorable games per season before or since.

Also depends on what constitutes memorable, one of my all time memorable games is drawing 3-3 away at Boro in the 70's, which in truth was an awful game until the 87th/88th minute when we started our comeback from 3-1 down, having been beyond utterly crap for the whole of the game.

I never said that

Are we gonna get into semantics about what exactly is meant by "up in arms" now, along the lines of "it's a sensible policy, it's just not applied often enough". No wonder your mates and family attend the match like unthinking drones.

To be honest, apart from KK's first manager spell there haven't been that many memorable games per season before or since.

Also depends on what constitutes memorable, one of my all time memorable games is drawing 3-3 away at Boro in the 70's, which in truth was an awful game until the 87th/88th minute when we started our comeback from 3-1 down, having been beyond utterly crap for the whole of the game.

But thats what the op was about - most people accept to a degree that football is about results but there has been a shift in recent years towards desiring good football as a priority - to have any prospect of that seemingly deliberately reduced is what narks.

Telling fans of Newcastle that the cups dont matter is a perfect example of quashing hope and enjoyment.

And by the way there many memorable games under Robson proving that competent management combined with a desire to inspire do make a difference.

To be honest, apart from KK's first manager spell there haven't been that many memorable games per season before or since..

What?! Are you for fucking real?

Buying players on the cheap and then selling them when they're in a position to take the club forward is a pretty shit policy, even if it is 'applied consistently". Its a typical mid table, zero ambition going nowhere club policy and its unacceptable.

There's a difference between buying smart and doing what we do.

Edited by aimaad22

Aye putting up zero fight to keep your best players, or worse making it very clear that your best players are available at the right price absolutely guarantees no progress as a club. From a financial standpoint, it's "sensible", but if you're deriving any pleasure from it as a fan of the team, you're a fucking idiot.

The only people left defending this regime fall into at least one of three camps; (1) those who are somehow part of or connected to it, (2) attention seekers and (3) morons.

My policy is only to shag supermodels. Unfortunately I've been very sporadic in applying that policy.

:lol: my main policy is spend every day for the rest of my life drinking champagne and smoking wild woodbines on a Barbados beach. Regrettably, my application leaves a little to be desired.

Bob Moncur

I hear on Twitter I am being accused of being a “yes man” for Newcastle United.

Well, that comes to me as a bit of a surprise because I don’t really understand what a “yes man” is.

Is it somebody who has been asked to make a decision and you’ve said yes?

Well I can assure that I have never been asked to make a decision since I came back here 26 years ago.

I don’t understand the accusation. Yes, I do have an opinion. . .

My second point this week is that I confess to being a Newcastle United supporter.

I always have been and if my crime is that I want to see Newcastle win every game, every week then I am guilty.

I do not know the inside of the business world enough to tell Mike Ashley or anybody else that what they are doing is right or wrong.

I am like anybody else when it comes to Newcastle United Football Club though.

If I am asked my opinion I pass on my knowledge of being associated with the football club as a fan for five decades. Having played and captained the club and observed the years since, I would say that my knowledge might be slightly more in-depth than the average person.

But that said they are entitled to an opinion too.

It does not matter who has been in charge at the club.

Lord Westwood, Gordon McKeag, Sir John Hall, Freddy Shepherd or Mike Ashley – I have always wanted to see the club do well and supported them and the board on the basis that I would rather say something positive than negative.

When asked in the media down the years I would rather be positive because I know, as somebody who is passionate about the club, that there are a queue of people who are willing to knock the club.

Especially down south with the media not needing an excuse to knock the club.

I always like to think I am a positive guy.

In life I’ve always viewed it as if you can’t say something positive to somebody – or provide a solution – then don’t say something bad.

Anybody can highlight a problem, very few can actually solve it.

If I don’t agree with somebody then I keep my mouth shut. I’m not that type of bloke, never have been and I’m not starting now.

But nobody at Newcastle has ever asked me to make a decision.

Down the years at United I have seen some weird decisions but I wouldn’t comment too much on all of them because I don’t know the ins and outs of them all.

Although I always want to see Newcastle do well and a positive atmosphere at St James’ Park, surely that’s what we all want to see?

I didn’t agree with the manager Alan Pardew being booed every time he got up on Saturday against Cardiff, I thought it was sad to see.

I also didn’t agree with the walk out on 69 minutes.

What is all that about?

Now as far the “Pardew out” campaign I think it has been a bit too strong.

He still after all is the manager of Newcastle United. As I said previously we should always support the man in that position.

He is manager of Newcastle and the abuse he’s been getting is way, way over the top.

It was very, very sad to see on Saturday.

And I think the reaction in this paper was too strong in my humble opinion with the pictures of fans saying “Pardew out” from all over the world.

There’s no doubt that there has been a downward slide at the club but we are going to finish no worse than 10th.

Who should Newcastle have finished ahead of this season?

Man City? Liverpool? Man United? Arsenal? Chelsea?

Given the billions these clubs have spent, I can’t see it.

Then who?

Tottenham? They spent over £100million.

Everton? Maybe.

So overall ninth after 37 games that is not all that bad.

I think that is certainly something to carry into next season and build from there. Quite clearly there has got to be a lot of work done before the start of next season.

I understand that there is money to spend this summer in strengthening the squad.

That said that is not as easy as it sounds in the modern day transfer market.

Clearly that has to be done. That’s a fact, new players are needed for next season. But at least there is a solution.

It’s not an easy job, but that is the situation.

It’s not always easy to lure players to the North East.

A lot of players across Europe want to play in London.

Of course, when they come to Newcastle they fall in love with the place. But it is persuading them to come here first and it isn’t always straight-forward.

One bit of good news is that Fabricio Coloccini is staying and that’s a good start.

Let’s hope we go from strength to strength from here.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Aye putting up zero fight to keep your best players, or worse making it very clear that your best players are available at the right price absolutely guarantees no progress as a club. From a financial standpoint, it's "sensible", but if you're deriving any pleasure from it as a fan of the team, you're a fucking idiot.

Zero fight, apart from when Cabaye wasn't sold to Arsenal. Every teams players are available at the right price when a "richer fish" comes along.

What fucking pleasure is there left in modern football, other than maybe watching a game at a weekend, the "big picture" is dead and it's just a self fulfilling prophesy of the rich getting richer, see today's other news from the FA for further proof (if any was needed) of that.

Everyone hates Ashley, I get that. Pardew has been shown up big time but no amount of demonstration/protest/rebellion short of it drumming up £270 Mill to buy the club is going to change the first bit, and even then the "big picture" is not going to change (absent a Sheik and dodgy sponsorship deals). Turning SJP into a cauldron against Pardew may change the latter, diluting that with the anti regime stuff is counter productive. The FCB is not "getting out of our club" anytime soon.

I don't think its deliberate - its just his innate management style/approach.

Probably, but the shite he comes out with is definitely debliberate if yo ask me. He's constantly trying to dampen expectations to try and make us accept the garbage we put out.

We were what 5 points off Everton, 3 off Man U, 5 clear of Southampton or thereabouts, that was not bad. Then we imploded.

Yeah the striking situation is poor, but not easy to legislate for the previously prolific Cisse completely losing his mojo. As for Remy I don't remember anyone crying about us not owning him when we got him on loan sadly he's scored so many he'll likely be offski to a CL team.

Until our implosion, no-one that I recall was up in arms about our striking options.

Absolute bollocks. When the season started and we hadn't signed a striker concerns were being voiced regularly. People were saying we should have signed Remy permanently or signed another player instead (and of course were far from happy at not signing anyone else). Obviously as with any other clubs fans, we aren't going to protest when we are getting results (no matter how fortunate we were in some of the games or how rank average the performances were) but anyone with any idea at all was voicing concerns.

Zero fight, apart from when Cabaye wasn't sold to Arsenal. Every teams players are available at the right price when a "richer fish" comes along.

What fucking pleasure is there left in modern football, other than maybe watching a game at a weekend, the "big picture" is dead and it's just a self fulfilling prophesy of the rich getting richer, see today's other news from the FA for further proof (if any was needed) of that.

Everyone hates Ashley, I get that. Pardew has been shown up big time but no amount of demonstration/protest/rebellion short of it drumming up £270 Mill to buy the club is going to change the first bit, and even then the "big picture" is not going to change (absent a Sheik and dodgy sponsorship deals). Turning SJP into a cauldron against Pardew may change the latter, diluting that with the anti regime stuff is counter productive. The FCB is not "getting out of our club" anytime soon.

Arsenal made a genuinely derisory offer ffs. That wasn't fight, it was a common sense rebuttal of a below market value offer.

I agree that football is completely fucked. It's why I don't bother with it anymore apart from on an exceptional basis. I'd sooner everyone stopped going, but as long as they continue to, the least they can do is act like thinking individuals and take a bit of a stand against the owner and his puppet

I think the only way we'll get rid of Ashley quick would be relegation that would cut off his World Wide free advertising for his sportswear. That would hurt him more than any protests, boycotts, or throwing in your ST's.