Schalke 04 Tournament

Mr Gittes

It was the first top tier opponent we've faced, but, again, our lineup was not a fair representation of our abilities. In any case, let's not act as if this is a reaction purely based on last season. It's the same every year, which was my point.

Any reactions like this to actual meaningful games will be justified, if a little melodramatic.

good point; the Twitter reaction to the first half was akin to Macduff receiving news of his family in Iv iii of the Scotch Play

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going to be another mediocre season. 10th-12th. We wont get relegated and the best we can hope for is a decent result or two against the big boys. Thats NUFC now and will be till the fat man's here. No use getting excited or overly gloomy about anything which is why I've had a meh attitude towards the transfer window.

It was the first top tier opponent we've faced, but, again, our lineup was not a fair representation of our abilities. In any case, let's not act as if this is a reaction purely based on last season. It's the same every year, which was my point.

Any reactions like this to actual meaningful games will be justified, if a little melodramatic.

You sound like an England fan trying to temain positive for the world cup in May.

When you're shite you're shite and Pardew's shite.

The season is two weeks away, surely he should be trying to get his new players to get game time with the rest of the most likely set of players who will start most games? For fitness and to get used to each other?

Friendlies don't mean /nothing/, anyone saying otherwise is a fool.

Yes tactics will be tested, players need to gel and they won't bust their balls or take massive risks to save the day, but they still won't want to lose/lose badly either , at 1-0 ok nothing might change, 2-0 "alright lads that's enough, put the effort in", 3-0 "fuck me we're shit".

Our tactics were same as always, same with the setpiece efforts and the rest, it's going be a continuation of the end of last season.

a mid table la liga side went 3-0 up against us at a stroll, we're playing one of the best attacking teams in Europe in two weeks today, start lubing up.

All the goes came through a lack of effort. 1st goal was a great strike which no one could be arsed to close down. 2nd goal, Coloccini said "fuck this" and decided not to track his man. 3rd goal, Yanga-Mbiwa thinks he's had enough with this running shit and starts walking to allow the guy to get a shot off. The lack of effort is attributable to it being a pre-season friendly, therefore the three goals are attributable to it being a pre-season friendly. It really isn't "fuck me we're shit". If our players gave more than 30% effort in that first half, Malaga might not have scored a single goal and no one would be talking about how this was "a continuation of the end of last season". No one will have a clue if we're the same shit side or if we've improved, until the season starts.

Edited by Bictor

it'd reply to that but you missed the point , i'm willing to bet you're about 20 max as well

lack of effort because it's a friendly doesn't fly i'm afraid

You said we should be lubing up for for Man City because we conceded three against Malaga in a pre-season friendly, implying that a pre-season friendly is a valid measure of how good we're going to be for the PL season? All I'm saying is that a friendly in which we're playing about 4 members of our starting 11 (two playing in their first game) is not the most valid measure of how good or bad we're going to be. What point have I missed?

Lack of effort isn't acceptable. That doesn't stop it being a factor in the outcome of the game.

I completely get the concept of pre-seson friendlies and when I've gone to them in the past I've treated them completely as kickabouts. The only slight moan I've had is when they travel abroad and knowing there are exiles who haven't seen us for a while if at all, they put zero effort in or play kids - the NZ trip this year being a good exception to that.

Having said that, considering last season I think it's fair to view these games as a chance to see how the problems have been approached. This includes new players obviously but also things like looking for a better attitude (even knowing they're friendlies) and signs of freshness and a bit of gelling.

My point above was that I've seen nothing in the action I've watched to suggest any positive signs at all (maybe Aarons but that's about it).

With only two more friendlies after today to get the "first 11" playing together I think concern for the Man City game is warranted.

Edited by NJS

I hope I don't come across as a dick saying this but how many games can we pay our respects to the two fans that died recently. This is the 4th in a row now? It's a tragic loss but I feel the minutes silences/applause on certain minutes during the game loses its meaning when it gets repeated time after time

Champions League finish this season??

I hope I don't come across as a dick saying this but how many games can we pay our respects to the two fans that died recently. This is the 4th in a row now? It's a tragic loss but I feel the minutes silences/applause on certain minutes during the game loses its meaning when it gets repeated time after time

I agree.

Love how only big black men are "powerful".

Does Sissoko also have "natural rhythm" because he comes from a "musical people"?

Would like a different set penis option to the one which has worked once in three years.

Pardew talks to the players like they're 10 year olds who are just learning the game.

Edited by beatty

Would like a different set penis option to the one which has worked once in three years.

Pardew talks to the players like they're 10 year olds who are just learning the game.

:lol: