What're they worth now?

The Fish

Chronicle doing a piece about Legends, starting with Shearer, and guessing (for the most part) what their value would be in the current market?

http://t.co/3OXJkspYID

Guessing this is born from their lack of access, but what do you lot reckon Shearer (for a start) would go for in the current market?

26yr old striker, height of his powers, 1 in 2 ratio, bit physical, off the back of a personally successful international tournament.

Go!

It would be a world record price now, as it was then, so upward of the 80m Real spent on Bale. It was on the back of the golden boot at Euro 96 and he was considered the best striker in the world at the time. I'd say £80-100m

It would be a world record price now, as it was then, so upward of the 80m Real spent on Bale. It was on the back of the golden boot at Euro 96 and he was considered the best striker in the world at the time. I'd say £80-100m

Yup, something around that.

I'm not sure he'd command a fee in line with Bale's to be honest, he didn't have that superstar sort of personality (which seems to add a good £20m or so when Real are involved).

I think a more accurate reflection would be about £50-60m - I know Torres was bought for that and was shite, but that was really an error on Chelsea's part. Rooney wouldn't command more than £30m now, and while Shearer is comfortably superior to him, I don't think more than twice the fee would be a fair reflection given Rooney's additional versatility as a midfielder/advanced playmaker/whatever he's supposed to be these days.

Proven 30 goal a season premiership striker? 70-80M.

What are you basing that on though? Was Rooney worth that when he was putting in 30 goals a season? I'm not sure he was...

Aye he'd have went for no less than Suarez, plus he'd done it 3 years in a row, didn't have the record of being a rabid fucking animal and is English which always seems to put the price up as well.

Although he would probably not have gone to Spain, so we are talking about English prices not mental Spanish prices. Probably around the 40-50m, I would have thought.

Are you kidding? British players have the most inflated prices going. Fulham signed Ross McCormack for £11m!

If Diego Costa went for £32m, and wasn't a proven Premier League striker, you can bet every penny that Shearer would go for at least an extra 50% on top.

Aye, you're talking about a player who would go on to be the greatest goalscorer in PL football. The likes of City, Chelsea or even Man U would break the bank to get him, you're certainly looking at an £80m player.

I've been hearing that Rooney will break the English scoring record and was getting confused. They're not seriously suggesting that Wayne Rooney will score 85 goals in his remaining 2-6yrs to surpass Shearer are they? Or Are they saying that he'll become the National team's record goal scorer?

Yeah, more than likely England given that he's only 8 away from Charlton's record. The talk recently seemed to be that Rooney would drop into a deeper role of Man U in the coming years so the days of him scoring 20 a season are gone I reckon.

Yeah, more than likely England given that he's only 8 away from Charlton's record. The talk recently seemed to be that Rooney would drop into a deeper role of Man U in the coming years so the days of him scoring 20 a season are gone I reckon.

He's only done that twice any way.

When we signed Shearer for a world record he had just scored 30+ goals three seasons in a row for Blackburn in 145 games (and 22 in 26 games the season before). When Real signed Ronaldo for a world record he had managed 23,42,26 in 10 more games (and 12 in 47 games before that).

On that basis you would suggest that Shearer would go for at least as much. But despite the inflated prices that are being paid for English players these days I doubt that a player moving from Blackburn to Newcastle would go for the same type of money that a player going from Manure to Real would.

Mind you, after seeing Spurs get that much for Bale it would be hard to justtify selling Shearer for any less than that.

I've been hearing that Rooney will break the English scoring record and was getting confused. They're not seriously suggesting that Wayne Rooney will score 85 goals in his remaining 2-6yrs to surpass Shearer are they? Or Are they saying that he'll become the National team's record goal scorer?

Rooney averages about 14.5 goals per season so going by that it would take him this and then another 5 seasons to match Shearer's record. He'd be 34 by then so it's not impossible that he'll play that long and beyond. But he's predicted to move further back as the years go on (given they have RVP and Falcao as their top two strikers I think we're going to see him play behind them this season) so it's going to be less and less likely that hit more than 14 in a season (he's only done it 4 times so far). I don't see it happening.

If he only needs 8 to match Charlton's England record I'd be amazed if he doesn't do that though.

Rooney averages about 14.5 goals per season so going by that it would take him this and then another 5 seasons to match Shearer's record. He'd be 34 by then so it's not impossible that he'll play that long and beyond. But he's predicted to move further back as the years go on (given they have RVP and Falcao as their top two strikers I think we're going to see him play behind them this season) so it's going to be less and less likely that hit more than 14 in a season (he's only done it 4 times so far). I don't see it happening.

If he only needs 8 to match Charlton's England record I'd be amazed if he doesn't do that though.

I don't see Rooney playing to 34.

Rooney isn't fit to suck Shearer's balls tbh.

100% agree Shearer imo was the last old fashioned centre forward a fantastic attitude, commitment & goals. I think a price tag of £100 million would be well justified.