The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah. I kinda met Chris Cairns's Dad, Lance, once. I was walking down the main street of Gisborne with my Dad, and we walked past Lance standing out the front of a shop. Dad stopped and said, 'hello', and Lance totally ignored him. A few years later there was a piece on the national news about Lance Cairns playing his entire cricket career whilst being clinically deaf in one ear. Dad still thinks he heard him. Grandad thought Muldoon owed him money from the war though, so my family aren't really the trusting type when it comes to national icons.

Edited by toonotl

Carberry was treated harshly. Axed for averaging 28 in one white washed series down under, facing 95mph bouncers from Johnson, which was more than the likes of cool and bell managed. At least he's a proper opener. I like Compton too. He could have been given more of a chance.

Think there's more chance of Compton getting back in. Not that I disagree about the treatment of Carberry.

Yeah. I kinda met Chris Cairns's Dad, Lance, once. I was walking down the main street of Gisborne with my Dad, and we walked past Lance standing out the front of a shop. Dad stopped and said, 'hello', and Lance totally ignored him. A few years later there was a piece on the national news about Lance Cairns playing his entire cricket career whilst being clinically deaf in one ear. Dad still thinks he heard him. Grandad thought Muldoon owed him money from the war though, so my family aren't really the trusting type when it comes to national icons.

:lol: Your grandad wouldn't have been the only one with a grudge against Piggy Muldoon. Seems to have been a complete shit. Cairns has an arrogant air about him, like he can do what he likes. Which makes me think he's guilty and your Dad was right

:lol: Your grandad wouldn't have been the only one with a grudge against Piggy Muldoon. Seems to have been a complete shit. Cairns has an arrogant air about him, like he can do what he likes. Which makes me think he's guilty and your Dad was right

:lol:

wow, i'm actually quite surprised at that. he as still bowling in the mid 90s in the summer and he's only 30 or something isn't he. fair play to him though for the way he turned his career around. on his day, the most hostile fast bowler of his generation.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Yeah. Bit surprising. He spoke about considering retirement after the 1st Test. I think he's around 33 or 34. So he's thereabouts in terms of age for giving it away.

After playing in a match like the one that just finished, I'm not surprised he's throwing it in.

Over 1,500 runs scored in the match. The first innings lasted into day 4 without any time lost to rain or bad light. Utterly boring game. Only interest was in Ross Taylor almost getting 300.

The night Test is next, which should be interesting.

Bell and Rashid left out of the SA tour as well as Finn & Wood being injured. Ballance, Footit & Compton brought in.

Surprised but not disapointed to see Bell out. He's been woefully out of form for a while now. Quite surprised to see Compton and Ballance back in too. Compton has the best record of any opening batsman with Cook since Strauss retired so he possibly should have been in before now but you would expect Hayles to be given a go first so I'm not sure I see much point in Compton being there.

Think I would play Compton opening with Cook and give Hales a go at number 3 where he's played a fair bit in first class cricket. Think Ballance has the potential to be a good player but they've shoehorned him into the no. 3 role in a way that is reminiscent of trying to make Root an opener. Disappointed Rashid isn't going especially as Patel isn't the long term answer. That said I don't think Patel will play. I think Moeen Ali will drop back down the order and they'll play four seamers.

The way they're talking is they'll only use Ali so rather than have Rashid as backup they're taking Patel so Rashid can get more experience elsewhere (including the big bash).

Hayles hasn't convinced me in the shorter formats which he seems more suited to so I wouldn't mind seeing Compton play but after Hayles has been in and around the international squads for a while now, I'd be surprised if he wasn't given his chance. I think Ballance has potential too. He always looks terrified when he's about to face a delivery but he quite often digs in a makes a decent score. He hasn't been helped in recent tests he's played when he's had to come in so early when we've lost early wickets, especially when Cook was struggling a bit.

Edited by David Kelly

ballance has made some good scores at test level but he's played more than his fair share of streaky-looking shots in accumulating them. he looks way too vulnerable outside his off stump to bat at 3.

i remember us having a discussion earlier in the summer about leaving root at 5, where he's done so well for england, but i wonder if the selectors are thinking of promoting him to 3 now bell has gone. it's the position he plays for his county and they might reckon he's ready to move up to try to give us more of a platform. too often he's coming in at 5 under massive pressure after a top order collapse.

You'd think Root would be able to play there quite comfortably then you'd have a choice between Taylor, Balance and Bairstow for 4 & 5.

Where does Compton play for his county? Bumble was suggeting earlier that he could be there to play at number 3. You're right about Balance outside his off. He looked extremely vunerable against the Aussies there and I can't imagine he'll have an easier time against SA.

i can see steyn causing him all kinds of problems.

i think compton is an old fashioned opener, an accumulator of runs, like cook, and the total opposite pick to someone like hales. but looking at the startling number of collapses during england's various experiments at the top of the order, an old school occupier of the crease could be what they need.

There seems to have become a bit of an obsession with finding an opener who is different to Cook when, as you suggest, a traditional opener could be just what's needed. It's going to be tough in SA whoever gets the nod though.

Pretty neat one day series from England. Although I felt like we threw today's game away. Really immature chase, run rate was well under control there was no need to play some of the shots they did.

Its now being investigated for possible match fixing apparently

Its now being investigated for possible match fixing apparently

A tip off perhaps?

Former NZ international cricketer, Chris Cairns, when asked if he knew of any current players involved in match fixing, replied, 'As if'.

A tip off perhaps?

Former NZ international cricketer, Chris Cairns, when asked if he knew of any current players involved in match fixing, replied, 'As if'.

Lou Vincent, when asked the same question replied, "I've got the names and they're fucking big. Meet me round in the pub on the corner in 30 minutes with 10 thousand in used 20s and we'll talk"

• 2 weeks later...