Are Newcastle United a stronger club now?

Park Life

In depends how you define stronger I guess. As a business entity I'd say yes. As a competitive entity, I'd say no. As a focal point for a fanbase and wider community, hell no. In terms of overall reputation? Probably also no.

Squad is better. Been telling anyone who says Pardew had his best players sold that they were replaced and more brought in to boot...

B6Wtys6IMAA2Ms4.png

Relegation would be much more of a financial disaster these days though. TV cash has gone from less than a third of our income to more than half. Partially because it's grown, but primarily because other streams have fallen. If you took TV cash out of the club before Ashley arrived, wages were still covered. That's not true anymore and has continued to worsen...

156r96a.png

Looking at absolutes is irrelevant, the game is a competition so strength is measured in relative terms to competitors.

To Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea, obviously not much change. To Liverpool, Everton, Spurs, Southampton, West Ham, Man City, Swansea and Stoke, we are relatively weaker than where we were in 2007. Either due to investments or club development.

There was a time after relegation where relative progress was being made for a couple of seasons but that's stopped.

So we might be financially stronger but so are 7 other clubs who weren't competing for the title 7 years ago.

Transfer Markt has our total sqaud value at 9th (126m) with S'hampton at 8th (156m).

Looking at ours closely however has Aarons, Sammy and Ayoze wildly undervalued at between 1 to 2m.

IMO Aarons value has shot upto 5/7m, Sammy must be 5ish now and Ayoze from what everyone has noted could go upto 10m a season or two (for now let's say 6m). We'd still be lower than S'ton but not that far behind. Their youth system is currently one of the best in the league and the have a tier one manager...S'ton will stay ahead of us in the short term.

Personally I'd say we're ahead of Stoke, Wham and Swansea but for now not at Everton level with regard to coaching infastructure, manager and sqaud strength.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1

Edited by Park Life

Stronger, I don't know. Probably if all you're measuring is the club as a business. But it was a lot more fun before he rocked into town. And I used to moan about the last lot.

Squad is better. Been telling anyone who says Pardew had his best players sold that they were replaced and more brought in to boot...

B6Wtys6IMAA2Ms4.png

Relegation would be much more of a financial disaster these days though. TV cash has gone from less than a third of our income to more than half. Partially because it's grown, but primarily because other streams have fallen. If you took TV cash out of the club before Ashley arrived, wages were still covered. That's not true anymore and has continued to worsen...

156r96a.png

Ashley has outsourced everything since he took over,

He's erroding our fan base which has got to be a bad thing. At the moment we are still pulling the crowds in but I can't see that continuing if he keeps going along the path of mediocrity that he's chosen. We might put up with it for a few years in the hope that something will change but if it becomes obvious to everyone that he's here for the long term with the sole objective of advertising sports direct and getting his money back out, that will change.

That will then make the TV revenue an even large portion of the whole and financial repercussions of relegation even worse.

At the moment we are probably a more attractive option to buy than we were. Hopefully that is his end game.

Financially, I'm not even sure we're stronger, if you count Ashley as an outside entity , then we're in the red to the tune of hundreds of millions right?

Except you wouldn't consider him as an outside entity. He owns 100% of the club, that's about as far from an outside entity as you could get.

The debt isn't that big. The stumbling block to potential buyers is the huge premium he seems to demand.

That and the fact we can't get any managers or players. Apparently.