Alexandar Mitrovic

The Fish

I totally get what rafa’s saying about him not fittting the style of play of this side, but he isn’t exactly blessed with many better options.

joselu hasn’t offered more defensively or the the team shape and organisation that I’ve seen. He flounces around like he’s running through treacle. Mitro at least offers more of a goal threat.

I think there’s more going on behind the scenes but rafa’s too diplomatic to air the dirty laundry in public 

10 hours ago, Jintsay said:

Rafa said this about Mitro at a charity do at Tyneside Cinema last month. Apologies if this has already been posted as it's not brand new, but Rafa seems to state he does rate Mitro and is willing to play him as a sub when we need a goal, but he suits playing in a good team and not a shite one like we have now. 

Mitro – I have had a lot of conversations with him. He needed to play and I couldn’t guarantee he would play.

“Some people say ‘Oh Rafa is stubborn and he doesn’t want to recognise he made a mistake’. No, it’s not like this. Because if it was like this I wouldn’t play Mitro at all. But I was playing him, sometimes for 20 minutes. Why? Because I wanted him to score the winning goal.

“People forget one thing: the players who play or are on the bench or on the stands but the manager is involved in every single game and I want to win every single game. For me, it’s about picking the right team to ensure we can win.

“Mitro needed to play. I couldn’t guarantee the way that we wanted to play (he would play). If you know Mitro really well – if you attack and you create a lot of chances and crosses he will score goals, no doubt that. But a team that has 40-45 or even 35% possession in some games, you have to defend in some games, you have to play counter-attack. If you don’t have all these players who can do that and you have to sacrifice something.

“We were talking about the main thing of this team – it is the team, the organisation of the team. If we don’t do that, we will be exposed. When we went 1-0 up against Man United (in the Old Trafford game) or Chelsea, we were a little bit open and we conceded.

“In the FA Cup against Chelsea we had to attack in the second half so we were open and we conceded. We couldn’t manage it. The team is the key and the characteristic of the players are crucial. For me, I have to do the best for both.”

I was there and it seemed like he was being sincere. I would imagine if there was any rift / problem between the two the question about Mitrovic he was answering would have gotten a shorter reply. It was actually for The Times / Sunday Times podcast rather than a charity do and Alyson Rudd also said she'd spoken to Mitrovic the day before and that he loved Newcastle and had learnt a lot from Rafa and he just wanted to get Fulham promoted, do well in the World Cup and come back to Newcastle.

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think there’s more going on behind the scenes but rafa’s too diplomatic to air the dirty laundry in public 

I really didn't get that impression at all.

15 hours ago, Andrew said:

Mitro gave an interview this last week or so where he talked about the tactical difference between fulham and nufc.

Basically he cant/wont follow rafas instructions properly here which is why hes not getting a look in, at fulham/internationally he can just play his own game and the manager is fine with it but thats not how Benitez works, since he isnt one of Rafas signings and won't do what hes meant to I'm not remotely surprised hes not getting near the first team, hes not good enough to get away with that.

Yep.

14 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

He’s a very similar player to Joselu.

Well they are both shit

Edited by Alex

7 hours ago, OTF said:

I assume this thread has been bumped because we've heard nought about him since he was loaned out. Anyone have any inside goss as to how he is going?

It's been bumped because he's scoring lots of goals for Fulham. 

You can find that out on the internet you know, or a newspaper.

Dr Gloom is the resident ITK poster, apart from anything he's said hasn't actually come true. Yet.

I'm sure he'll get one right eventually.

I've absolutely no evidence at all but would bet the one with the tache would be a Chelsea fan. He just looks the type. Could also imagine him playing golf and moaning about something to reception at a hotel. Anyway, that's enough about that, Mam's getting pissed with uncle Mick and I've got to tidy my bedroom. AGAIN! :(

• Haha 1

There is no doubt that Mitro is a better footballer than Joselu, probably a better scorer as well.  Everything is going well for him now which is excellent, but let's see this time next year to see how he's getting along.

He is not an elite player where he " can't/ won't follow rafas instructions properly" and " he can just play his own game," not with a club like ours anyway. 

Let's not pretend he never started for the club and failed to do what he's paid to do at a time when we needed him most. 

21 minutes ago, LooneyToony said:

There is no doubt that Mitro is a better footballer than Joselu, probably a better scorer as well.  Everything is going well for him now which is excellent, but let's see this time next year to see how he's getting along.

He is not an elite player where he " can't/ won't follow rafas instructions properly" and " he can just play his own game," not with a club like ours anyway. 

Let's not pretend he never started for the club and failed to do what he's paid to do at a time when we needed him most. 

I think that's pretty much spot on.

7 hours ago, Alex said:

I really didn't get that impression at all.

It’s an assumption based on the fact that Rafa has two similar players, both offering more or less the same in terms of being immobile target men who are sloppy on the ball. The difference is one can’t finish his dinner and the other looks like he might chip in with the odd goal, but is a walking red card. I get the point Rafa made about Mitro not following his detailed tactical instructions but I don’t see that Joselu is doing that either. He’s been rank all season.

We all know Mitro is a hot head. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if he called Rafa a cunt or something in training. He’s pretty much been frozen out this season, though not to the Colback degree, admittedly. This is pure speculation on my part and is almost certainly shite, but I’m struggling to get my head around why he persists with Joselu but was happy to farm out Mitro. 

Salami will hopefully make this debate irrelevant ASAP 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mitrovic wanted to go on loan for game time leading up to the World Cup and getting (at least some of) his wages off the books were a prerequisite of getting Slimani in. The rest of it’s all a bit grassy knoll iyam. Rafa’s all about the team over the individual in any case and even more so given the dearth of resources and the fine margins due to that. We simply can’t afford any passengers and, as others have pointed out, he’s no where near food enough to be afforded that freedom anyway

There is no permanent price agreed with Fulham at the end of the loan but of course with him back playing and scoring goals he suddenly becomes a potential asset for many clubs.

However…the Chronicle say that their understanding is that Mike Ashley has now raised the Mitrovic asking price to £20m.

48 minutes ago, trooper said:

There is no permanent price agreed with Fulham at the end of the loan but of course with him back playing and scoring goals he suddenly becomes a potential asset for many clubs.

However…the Chronicle say that their understanding is that Mike Ashley has now raised the Mitrovic asking price to £20m.

I fucking hate that phrase by the way, 'our/my understanding' :lol: WTF is that supposed to mean? 

Ashley: "Off the record boys, what I'm looking at for Mitro is over £15 miwl, anda £22 miwl and rhymes wif 'plenty' miwl."

Reporter: "My understanding is Mike Ashley is looking for £20m for Mitrovic."