Newcastle United V Southampton

Christmas Tree

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some very good signs there and a couple of very familiar worrying ones. Always disappointing to not win when you're ahead in the second half, but the biggest thing to take away from this is a new way of playing that sets a platform that our attacking players can work from.

Disappointed not to get a win based on the performance which I definitely wasn't expecting, hopefully Anita isn't badly injured as it looks like he'll be integral to how we play at home particularly.

We look a very different prospect getting forward and in possession this season based on that.

Defence still lacking in aerial ability but Mbemba looks quite good.

Yeah. We fell away a bit. Could just be early season lack of sharpness. Hopefully. Fix the defending in a few areas and we could be in for a really good and enjoyable season.

We looked a hell of a lot better than I thought we would, as I said earlier in the thread I thought it'd take a while for McClaren's tactics to take hold but it looks like he has managed it quickly. It was probably a fair result on balance but I really thought we had them, agree that we started to lose control once Anita went off and Wijnaldum got tired.

Haidara was pretty poor all day defensively I thought, gifted them multiple free crosses the 2nd goal coming when he stood in the box marking Colo's man who Colo already had covered and he wasn't able to get out to his man in time. The defenders in the box were also piss poor trying to defend the crosses mind. Think left back should be a priority in the remainder of the window. The tactics really showed what Anita could do finally, he was great today in the role dropping in between the CB's and moving the ball out. Mbemba looked rapid and managed Mane's pace well most of the game, imagine how horrific it would have been watching Iron Mike try to cover him.

Hopefully Cisse can start controlling the ball a bit better because I thought it was costing us possession over and over again as nowt was really sticking up front with him there, think Austin would have looked good up there today.

We looked a hell of a lot better than I thought we would, as I said earlier in the thread I thought it'd take a while for McClaren's tactics to take hold but it looks like he has managed it quickly. It was probably a fair result on balance but I really thought we had them, agree that we started to lose control once Anita went off and Wijnaldum got tired.

Haidara was pretty poor all day defensively I thought, gifted them multiple free crosses the 2nd goal coming when he stood in the box marking Colo's man who Colo already had covered and he wasn't able to get out to his man in time. The defenders in the box were also piss poor trying to defend the crosses mind. Think left back should be a priority in the remainder of the window. The tactics really showed what Anita could do finally, he was great today in the role dropping in between the CB's and moving the ball out. Mbemba looked rapid and managed Mane's pace well most of the game, imagine how horrific it would have been watching Iron Mike try to cover him.

Hopefully Cisse can start controlling the ball a bit better because I thought it was costing us possession over and over again as nowt was really sticking up front with him there, think Austin would have looked good up there today.

I agree about Cisses control, Perez perhaps the solution to that issue.

I agree about Cisses control, Perez perhaps the solution to that issue.

Aye he could well be, I'm hoping he gets a lot of chances to play as the high pressing way we seem to be playing will need players to be rotated.

:aye:

We haven't had a good left back since Enrique left.