Generic small time football blather thread 2015/16

The Fish

There's nothing I hate more than the Julia Hartley-Brewer types who get up in arms about people being offended easily. Hey, it's almost like they're offended by people being offended.

But it's going a bit far when heat of the moment colloquialisms are scrutinised in so much detail. The guy's been sacked now, though I reckon that's more to do with their dreadful form than anything else.

I felt the same about the Shelvey case. When do you draw the line? "Smelly Arab" is denigrating mainly because he allegedly used the term "smelly". If he called him a "smelly puff" would that have gone unpunished?

Edited by rogerbarton

There's nothing I hate more than the Julia Hartley-Brewer types who get up in arms about people being offended easily. Hey, it's almost like they're offended by people being offended.

But it's going a bit far when heat of the moment colloquialisms are scrutinised in so much detail. The guy's been sacked now, though I reckon that's more to do with their dreadful form than anything else.

I felt the same about the Shelvey case. When do you draw the line? "Smelly Arab" is denigrating mainly because he allegedly used the term "smelly". If he called him a "smelly puff" would that have gone unpunished?

To be fair, it's more than likely the 9 defeats in 11 games that's got him the boot.

I don't see what the big deal about offending people is anyway - I would be mortified if my taking offence at something cost someone their job, and people who think this sort of thing is justified are, in my view, incredibly insecure about themselves.

If he's been sacked for recent performances then that's another story of course.

• Guest locked this topic