Newcastle United V Arsenal // St James Park // 12.45 KO

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was nothing "hotheaded" about the challenge or even daft. It was his ball to challenge and he went for it, yellow card for being late and that should have been that. We're talking about Mariner, he shouldn't be allowed to referee our games man. He actually takes the piss. :lol:

I think you're spot on there Tom. If I'm honest I can see why a red was given the way the game is these days but I don't think it should have been. The reputation he'd got himself with those first two booking and the ridiculous scream by Cocquelin turn the card from yellow to red imo. But I don't really see what anyone thinks Mitro should have done difrerently. He was looking at the ball coming down and just put his foot out for it. It was in no way overly forceful and there was no intent there. But he did catch him a bit high. These things can happen in a game and judging by the other sendings off last weekend there's going to be a lot more sendings off this season that are for next to nothing. The game has changed to the point that a card comes out for every misstimed challenge. It seems to have been forgotten that you can foul someone and it not be worth a card (unless you play for one of the big four or the wallpushers).

Someone made a comment a few years back that seems to be coming true - someone wants Football to be a non contact and therefore more higher scoring game. Every tackle is becoming a foul..

Mitrovic doesn't help himself though, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a card for his hideous fanny lick celebration, should we ever see it.

The various quotes when we signed him saying he had a poor disciplinary record and can be a bit of a liability.

Be a waste of time all round if he's going to have the red mist like Cattermole or Barton.

I don't watch Belguim football and wonder if they are a bit more forgiving on the contact side of football.

You loved Barton when he was here though :lol:

I did when he was actually playing. He though combined red mist with playing well.

More importantly all our eggs are in the Mitrovic basket so we need him on the field not missing games.

Don't think that's true at all. Cisse and Perez are capable deputies in terms of ability and sufficiently different in playing style to allow a variation in attacking style, while keeping with a fairly similar formation and defensive set up.

Thauvin and Sissoko may be asked to stay further wide when Mitrovic is starting, but cut into the centre when Perez starts. Perez or Cisse starting might mean we see de Jong starting in the hole while Wijnaldum or Sissoko replaces Anita or Colback in that central midfield pairing.

I think we've got options in the front 6 positions that we've previously not.

All well and good but I think McClarens preferred plan was / is having Mitrovich up front.

I hope Cisse, with decent service, can get back to scoring, but I'm sure he would have been gone if someone had met our valuation.

Perez is still quite an unknown quantity as to how he'll fit in.

Aye, would like to see Perez operating as the front man with some decent service now behind him and no Williamson.

Perez seems to hold the ball better than Cisse*, despite his diminutive size. I'd like to see AP playing alongside/near someone like de Jong, a clever player that he can pivot runs around, or play short sharp passes with.

*dunno if that bears up to scrutiny, I don't know how you could measure that?

Perez seems to hold the ball better than Cisse*, despite his diminutive size. I'd like to see AP playing alongside/near someone like de Jong, a clever player that he can pivot runs around, or play short sharp passes with.

*dunno if that bears up to scrutiny, I don't know how you could measure that?

Not sure if he can hold it up as well as Cisse (Cisse at his best, not the one sulking) but the movement and energy is a big asset. Also shown himself to be capable in the air.

Edited by aimaad22

I'd like to see Perez play just behind the main striker to stretch the opposition's defenders and to link up with our wide players.We should have bought Murray from Palace and shifted out Cisse.

Murray is bang average man. He only managed 8 goals in the Championship last year.

Cisse got 11 in 22 in the Premier League, turning out for a bad side.

You're a putz.

Did he not score 7 in 17 in the Prem last season which isn't bad for a target man,which Cisse certainly isn't, and i wouldn't imagine Murray shoots every fuckin time he gets the ball,unlike that greedy twat Cisse.

What's your weird obsession with Murray about then?

He's a bang average, 31yr old striker.