Newcastle V Norwich / 18th October / 4pm / SJP

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sissoko deserves praise for the assists, but Gini just has the knack of making the right run at the right time and inviting a player to cross to him. I thought he was quiet early on but still managed to ghost in to the danger areas. Perez and Mitro need to stay injury free!

Hitting the woodwork means it was off target.Bassong should have been shown the red for elbowing our number 1 keeper.Janmaat had a fukin nightmare when defending.Mind it's easily done if you cannot be arsed to mark your man or RUN to stop your man getting a centre in.For Norwich's second goal he looked at the player who had a free run down the wing because Sissoko couldn't be arsed to stay with,then decided to hide in the middle.A simple cross to the back post where Dummat was nowhere to be seen and into the back of the net it went.Of course there was no inquest on the pitch just the usual stroll back into position for the kick off.The players couldn't give a fuck when they concede.At times it looks like they couldn't give as fuck when they get beat.Good teams hate concedeing and hate getting beat.We will never be a good team with the mentality our players have.

The nearer it gets to January you will see a major improvement in Sissoko's attitude, application and work ethic. Even McClaren in his post match with Sky mentioned Sissoko and his ability to play in the Champions League.

You reckon ?

Gini Wijnaldum, reigning Dutch player of the year, currently our leading goal scorer, lovely timed runs and good with his head akin to Gary Speed. :wub:

We’re still short of quality at LB and central midfield. Tiote was more assured on the ball than JC & VA, but the latter is more mobile. I think that’s why he was brought on at ½ time; to try to help defend the flanks. When GW & MS were given license and freedom to attack at will, DJ & PD were often left exposed. I think a Carrick kind of player* would make huge differences to that. We’d be able to control the game a little more, draw less pressure onto the defence. The hoofballs were just coming back if they didn’t immediately find their man. If we had a Carrick kind of player we needn’t look for the long ball.

Mitrovic, I thought he had a really good game despite not getting that much service and he’s really beginning to get an understanding with Perez (who also had a good game). AM never looked like picking up a booking despite quite a lot of shirt-pulling and niggles by Norwich. Took his goal brilliantly and was a gnat's fanny hair away from other opportunities (the failed 1-2 with Gini that lead to the opener e.g.).

Mbemba is our best defender by a mile.

Elliot was all right, don’t hink he could have done much to stop their goals, but that said Krul has pulled off some wonder saves in his time and I don’t believe RE is capable of the unbelievable.

Sissoko is the most frustrating footballer we’ve had in a long time. More so than Ben Arfa or Shola or whomever. He could be a top class player; he’s got a footballing brain and sufficient technique to make use of it, he’s got the physique to do it all game every game. It’s just his will that’s lacking. At least with HBA you knew that he wasn’t fit enough to run for days and doesn’t understand how to defend and couldn’t tackle even if he did, MS does. Shola was too slow/unfit, and had no technique, or a footballing brain, but he could ride a bike and eat an apple, so there's that. Sissoko's crosses will get the praise (and rightly so), but the lead up to Wijnaldum’s 1st was brilliant. The shoulder drop, the change of pace, the carefully weighted pass.. Why can’t he do that more often against opposition of Norwich’s “calibre”? I'd still get shot of him if a decent bid comes in because he doesn't do this enough to be worth the gamble.

A Norwich mate bemoaned his team’s luck, citing the woodwork, the penalty shout and the offside. But they were absolutely awful at the back & Alex Neil is right when he admitted that taking off Tettey was a massive mistake. When he went off, they lost the steel in the centre that was the platform for the pressure they had us under.

I think it's going to be a result that will boost us over the next 5 games and we'll be as average as we are, rather than as awful as we've been. But it was a complete lightning strike. Our problem has been that we aren't good enough to score as many on the break as we need against good teams but poor teams wouldn't normally be chasing the game so desperately as Norwich were, so we usually struggle to break them down at all. We'll get nothing like as much space in the next 5 games without fortuitous early goals.

Taking 15 minutes to manage a shot at goal would normally be very worrying. As would conceding 2 and being saved by the woodwork twice at home. As would having less possession and shots than relegation bait opponents through the whole game. The fact our central midfielders (Colback & Anita) had less touches than anyone else in our team is crazy in a home game. But it's forwned upon to publicly express any concern when the positivity train is building up steam to get out of the station, especially before a derby. So I'll drink the kool-aid and hope this wave can at least be ridden through mackemland.

I think the Perez/Mitro partnership will pay dividends against those teams we struggle to break down, actually getting someone in the box has been missing from us for a few years but they'll get themselves on the end of stuff and press defences back as a result. Add Gini timing his runs the way he apparently does to that and it could be very potent.

I think it's going to be a result that will boost us over the next 5 games and we'll be as average as we are, rather than as awful as we've been. But it was a complete lightning strike. Our problem has been that we aren't good enough to score as many on the break as we need against good teams but poor teams wouldn't normally be chasing the game so desperately as Norwich were, so we usually struggle to break them down at all. We'll get nothing like as much space in the next 5 games without fortuitous early goals.

Taking 15 minutes to manage a shot at goal would normally be very worrying. As would conceding 2 and being saved by the woodwork twice at home. As would having less possession and shots than relegation bait opponents through the whole game. The fact our central midfielders (Colback & Anita) had less touches than anyone else in our team is crazy in a home game. But it's forwned upon to publicly express any concern when the positivity train is building up steam to get out of the station, especially before a derby. So I'll drink the kool-aid and hope this wave can at least be ridden through mackemland.

That's a terrifying stat. Can't really understand why Neil took Tettey off when Norwich were winning the midfield battle and looking the most likely to score. A Norwich mate was lambasting Tettey early doors;

but when he went off their marauding wing players were leaving huge gaps for us on the counter.

Re: breaking teams down, I've faith in the variety we have. Mitrovic, Perez and Wijnaldum are all sufficiently different that if the bulldozer fails to break through, and the tricky little dancer can't Paso Doble his way through, then Wijnaldum might be able to arrive late... his way through. :blush:

The issue for me is definitely getting the ball to those attacking options and controlling the ball enough so that a fairly porous defence isn't troubled as much as it has been in the last few games. 4-4-2 is all well and good, but it doesn't half leave you vulnerable if you lack a really solid centre.

I think the Perez/Mitro partnership will pay dividends against those teams we struggle to break down, actually getting someone in the box has been missing from us for a few years but they'll get themselves on the end of stuff and press defences back as a result. Add Gini timing his runs the way he apparently does to that and it could be very potent.

Agree with this wholeheartedly Andrew, lets us be firm friends forever and ever. :drinks: