Donald Trump

Anorthernsoul

1 minute ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Nah, you disagree with or don’t vote for people you don’t like. Normalising comedy that jokes about killing political opponents isn’t too clever in this day and age.

African American Drama GIF by WE tv

• Haha 2

Honestly, I don't wish ill on anyone. But if Trump died of natural causes before the next election, it wouldn't be the worst thing for US politics. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Nah, you disagree with or don’t vote for people you don’t like. Normalising comedy that jokes about killing political opponents isn’t too clever in this day and age.

How often, really, are the left wing of politics 'in this day and age' involved in actually killing anyone? I can think of several right wing killers but I always seem to come up short on anyone being killed by Antifa, or by communists, or whatever.

From the ADL: https://www.adl.org/resources/report/murder-and-extremism-united-states-2022

Left wing extremism makes up 4% of extremism related deaths since 2013.

The right, to no one's surprise at all, makes up 75%. Islamists take the remainder. I don't think jokes by left wingers are as big a threat as hysteria and misinformation from the right.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Except it is clever, and it's also funny. Just because you like Trump (making an assumption here based on your overreaction to the bit) doesn't make this any less funny.

You can joke about anything. Literally anything. It's a joke. Although the irony, of right wingers crying about cancel culture, "you can't say anything these days", and "snowflakes" - and then have the brass neck to cry arse on about a stand up comic making fun of Trump (in any way, shape or form) is equally hilarious to me.

"You can't say anything these days, fucking snowflakes - Ooh but you definitely CAN'T say that." 

He literally jokes about Biden immediately after Trump - saying he's so old he'd be the first president you could punch assassinate.

It's comedy for fuck sake, anyone who kills someone because a comedian made a joke about it is mentally ill - but that shouldn't stop comedians. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Honestly, I don't wish ill on anyone. But if Trump died of natural causes before the next election, it wouldn't be the worst thing for US politics. 

Hit in the head by a golf ball at Mar a lago would be funnier than natural causes though.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

How often, really, are the left wing of politics 'in this day and age' involved in actually killing anyone? I can think of several right wing killers but I always seem to come up short on anyone being killed by Antifa, or by communists, or whatever.

From the ADL: https://www.adl.org/resources/report/murder-and-extremism-united-states-2022

The right, to no one's surprise at all, makes up 75%. Islamists take the remainder. I don't think jokes by left wingers are as big a threat as hysteria and misinformation from the right.

So  it sounds like there are very fine people on both sides?

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Are the deaths from left wing extremism due to starvation in North Korea? I can't imagine what a left wing terrorist would look like

haight-hippie.jpg

1 hour ago, Rayvin said:

Communism is left wing extremism

Arguably radical Islam is more “tolerated” by the left than the right

I don’t think either side should do it by the way

Trump is there to have the piss ripped out of him, I have no problem with it. I recently posted a link to someone doing just that.

I just think joking about killing people is a bit unnecessary especially as the consequences would be hundreds of armed right wing Americans going nuts.

10 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Trump is there to have the piss ripped out of him, I have no problem with it. I recently posted a link to someone doing just that.

I just think joking about killing people is a bit unnecessary especially as the consequences would be hundreds of armed right wing Americans going nuts.

They do that shit anyway, a comedian is not going to influence a bunch of deranged hillbillies at all. The special this is from was recorded in Texas too, so not exactly like it's in front of some San Francisco hipsters.

No joke is off limits, as long as it's not punching downwards. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

I agree that communism is left wing extremism, but I am just indicating that in the past 10 years there are an incredibly small number of left wing extremist killings. That will include anyone of a communist slant. The evidence just isn't there that the left are the dangerous ones in the present conversation.

Radical islam isn't tolerated by anyone - the left will rally around Muslims in defence of them against islamophobia, and it will point to islamic terrorism being a consequence of our own failed foreign policy, but that's it. Current right wing extremism has more in common with radical islam than the left does IMO - they are brothers in arms of dealing with women and trans people for instance. Andrew Tate has a very significant following amongst young Asian men.

There’s not really a proper definition of communism imo. Certainly nothing that actually stands up to anything that exists in the real world which is described as communist (even by governments describing themselves as such). Maybe the odd commune in the middle of nowhere practices something approaching it. I’m not advocating it because it doesn’t work because of human nature and the counterproductive reality of applying it zealously on a large scale. 
It’s basically just another bit of name-calling (like ‘woke’) used on cesspits like Twitter, often applied to moderate progressives by people who ‘tell it like it is’. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

There’s not really a proper definition of communism imo. Certainly nothing that actually stands up to anything that exists in the real world which is described as communist (even by governments describing themselves as such). Maybe the odd commune in the middle of nowhere practices something approaching it. I’m not advocating it because it doesn’t work because of human nature and the counterproductive reality of applying it zealously on a large scale. 
It’s basically just another bit of name-calling (like ‘woke’) used on cesspits like Twitter, often applied to moderate progressives by people who ‘tell it like it is’. 

Completely true IMO.

1 hour ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

This feels awfully close to suggesting both sides are as bad as eachother. 

Why would right wing Americans go nuts? I thought they were all in favour of free speech?

Unless of course nuts is their default position and they just need to be triggered

alpha triggers GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ginolaandtonic said:

Well, Trump wasn't joking when he encouraged an insurrection which directly led to several deaths was he? And you know, given his links to the mafia underworld I would not be surprised if he hasn't had involvement with a people ending up in concrete pillars in the New Jersey turnpike. It seems absolutely incredible to me that Trump has been the source of so much hatred and divsion in the US, and you are being an utter snowflake because a comedian made a joke. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I agree that communism is left wing extremism, but I am just indicating that in the past 10 years there are an incredibly small number of left wing extremist killings. That will include anyone of a communist slant. The evidence just isn't there that the left are the dangerous ones in the present conversation.

Radical islam isn't tolerated by anyone - the left will rally around Muslims in defence of them against islamophobia, and it will point to islamic terrorism being a consequence of our own failed foreign policy, but that's it. Current right wing extremism has more in common with radical islam than the left does IMO - they are brothers in arms of dealing with women and trans people for instance. Andrew Tate has a very significant following amongst young Asian men.

The left obviously feels that it has good intentions but the consequences of labelling any criticism of anything involving Islam as right wing extremism directly led to the inability to deal with rape gangs in Britain.

It also helped stoke the anti police sentiment around the time of the BLM riots which left policemen and civilians dead.

It also is more likely to try and ban free speech and cancel people they disagree with.

I’m not calling for that comedian to be banned I just think it’s unnecessarily provocative in a pointless way.

I still hold that Trump’s policies of secure borders, limited military intervention and focus on American jobs (which I still maintain is infinitely less dangerous than the Bush/Blair years) is why people vote for him and all the rest is him being a tactless loudmouth and the press ramping it all up for clicks.