Holidays 2024

McFaul

18 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Well, I was supposed to be going to Belgium next week.  Cancelled.
Lakes for Easter, Cancelled.
Italy in mid June - Almost deffo cancelled.

Fingers crossed for our Anniversary trip to Ibiza in Sept.
I also have a weekend in Belgium booked for November.

TBH I would happily have fuck all holiday if this lot went away!

I like going to Belgium

• 1 month later...

Booked a holiday in Scotland for August, at the same time as my Italy trip, which I assume will be cancelled. Well, a fully cancellable hotel booking anyway. Something to look forward to. 

Just now, NJS said:

I still wouldn't book anything - even in the uk- might be back in full lockdown by then. 

Nothing to lose, no deposit and fully cancellable. It's more than 3 months away. 

6 minutes ago, Renton said:

Booked a holiday in Scotland for August, at the same time as my Italy trip, which I assume will be cancelled. Well, a fully cancellable hotel booking anyway. Something to look forward to. 

Whereabouts?

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

Nothing to lose, no deposit and fully cancellable. It's more than 3 months away. 

just in time for the second peak - perfect 

Ah, nice place although I've not been since I was young. You can hop over to Mull from there right? I remember at least one fantastic beach on Mull. Had a sandbank a little way out, and at least when we were there, we saw porpoises just a bit further out.

12 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Ah, nice place although I've not been since I was young. You can hop over to Mull from there right? I remember at least one fantastic beach on Mull. Had a sandbank a little way out, and at least when we were there, we saw porpoises just a bit further out.

Aye, if all goes to plan I'd hope to get the Calmac to Tobermory for a day trip. Obviously might not be viable with social distancing and locals with pitch forks.

I love Mull, there are amazing beaches there. From childhood I remember a place called Calgary which was beautiful. Then theres Iona, Staffa and Fingals cave. I doubt there are many better places in the world. 

Edit: sounds like you might have meant Calgary beach, google it. Yes, the place in Canada is named after it. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

I'm no longer anticipating getting away at all this year but some of the refunds for things are coming in, which is handy. The Tenerife trip I should be on now, the villa is mostly refunded and the friend who booked it should get the rest on his travel insurance, plus the flight refund from Norwegian should come through now that they've been bailed out by the government. Waiting to see what the current policies are for Eurostar, Stena Line etc. by the time it comes to (presumably) having to cancel my July and August weekenders to the continent.

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

Edit: sounds like you might have meant Calgary beach, google it. Yes, the place in Canada is named after it. 

Aye that's the one. As much as I love Skye, it has no beaches remotely comparable to that one. 

Edited by Rayvin

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i've had fuck all in the way of refunds. just been offered vouchers from airlines and hotels alike 

Got lucky with Tenerife in that Norwegian offered either a refund or a voucher (subject to them not going bust, obviously), and Homeaway for the villa had a 50% + fees refund policy which is better than nothing, but I expect the other stuff to be vouchers. That's fine if it's effectively time-unlimited, but some operators seem to want you to rebook for a specific date already, which is surely a bit pointless given the current lack of clarity.

6 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Hope you get there @Renton

I haven't really explored Scotland, but going to make an effort though.  I have done a lot of places on the borders and Edinburgh and loved it there.

The west coast, islands and highlands are unsurpassed, couldn't recommend them enough. As I'm sure we've discussed on here though weather and midges are a big issue. My mate walked the west highland way a few years back. It pissed down every hour of every day on her. She was sick as a chip towards the end. With the lakes, it never seems to rain for days on end and midges aren't an issue. It's not the same though, but a damn good compromise. 

37 minutes ago, Ant said:

Need to cancel ours tonight before the full payment is taken, was hoping jet2 would reply to this mail we sent the weeks ago or we'd get something through about moving it to next year /using the deposit for that but nothing. 

So cancelling it and them getting told to get fucked next time I'm booking something it is

How much deposit are you losing though? Mine is £800 and I'm fucked if I'm losing that. Worried about settling the balance though as well. Seems wrong the travel companies can operate in this way. I've heard Jet2 have been pretty appalling, hoping TUI are better. I want to move the booking to next year but the current prices have doubled. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

If they refund everyone they’ll all go under though 

This is the truth of it. They're not doing it because even competent management would not have factored in an industry annihilating pandemic and they simply won't be prepared for it.

Even if they went under trying to compensate everyone, they'd still not be able to pay everyone back most likely.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This is the truth of it. They're not doing it because even competent management would not have factored in an industry annihilating pandemic and they simply won't be prepared for it.

Even if they went under trying to compensate everyone, they'd still not be able to pay everyone back most likely.

So instead they are forcing you to pay in full for a holiday that can't happen? How is that right? Then you wait months to get your money back through insurance/ATOL, presumably. 

I am happy for them to move the holiday to next year or to keep the deposit as credit for another holiday, but it's taking the piss them wanting full payment. The advice seems to be pay in full though. 

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

I’m getting to the stage of lockdown where I would like a holiday from my kids 

Day 2? How did you avoid lockdown for so long?

• Haha 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024