• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Flew back from two weeks in Umbria today. Fucking gutted to be back. Was in the queue to get on the plane and noticed a fat cunt a few people ahead of me in a Panama hat.   It wasn't until h

Aye cos no one had heard of Rome in 2009.

Got back from a long weekend in the Highlands. We did:   Glencoe Fort William South Coast of Skye Eilean Donan Fort Augustus\Loch Ness Pitlochry   Highligh

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Renton said:

So what's the issue? I commute to work on the metro. Basically 10 mins walk, 20 mins metro, 10 mins walk. Perfect in theory, those 40 mins there and back walking are my sole weekday exercise. On the metro of course, podcast and reading the Metro newspaper time. Of course, the reality is the metro is permanently fucked making the above impossible and long waits on freezing platforms, and trains more overcrowded than the busiest tubes are the norm. On the tube you wait literally 1 minute for the next one. On the metro, it's too packed to get on and you have a 15 min wait. 

Anyhow, its property prices that fuck the London gig. My house would be completely unaffordable within the M25. In one of the nicest parts of Tyne and Wear, it's achievable.  

The tube is far busier than the metro like. Which isn’t a defence of the fairly crap service you get with the metro 

11 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

My quality of life improved immeasurably after I moved to a part of town served by commuter trains rather than tubes. The tube is for London newbies and tourists 

Plus places that aren't on the Underground tend to be more affordable* anyway, so it's a double bonus. Though I appreciate this may not apply to the Dulwich neck of the woods. :D

*less unaffordable

11 hours ago, ewerk said:

Two million users a day. That’s a lot of newbies and tourists.

One of my first jobs in London meant living in Canary Wharf and working on the Seven Sister Road. Any suggestions on how to do that without using the tube?

That’s exactly the point. You choose to live somewhere where you can commute without taking the tube. Tube in rush hour? Fuck that. 

I did 3 years in Clapham going in and out on the northern line every day. Never again. 

Just booked for Tenerife in May - the usual villa trip with the Eurovision gang, but we thought we'd try somewhere different for a change. Not that there's a huge difference between Tenerife and the other Canaries, but still. :lol: I went to Tenerife with my folks in 1988 and 1990 on cheap and cheerful package deals but know basically nothing about it beyond that & have always had the impression it's the less interesting of the islands, if only because it got the tourist developments first. We're staying in Costa Adeje, which looks nice, but I'm hoping to hire a car and explore a bit.

47 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Just booked for Tenerife in May - the usual villa trip with the Eurovision gang, but we thought we'd try somewhere different for a change. Not that there's a huge difference between Tenerife and the other Canaries, but still. :lol: I went to Tenerife with my folks in 1988 and 1990 on cheap and cheerful package deals but know basically nothing about it beyond that & have always had the impression it's the less interesting of the islands, if only because it got the tourist developments first. We're staying in Costa Adeje, which looks nice, but I'm hoping to hire a car and explore a bit.

You're right, all the canaries are much of a muchness. I used to go to tenerife every year in winter because it's a convenient place for winter sun. Probably more to do there than places like lanzorote or fueterventura. Teide is worth a visit.

43 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Worth an explore for the surface of the moon type landscapes around mount teide and it’s more green in the north. I seem to remember Puerta de la Cruz being nice. It’s got an old fashioned feel to it as it hasn’t been ruined because it’s not on the sunnier south coast. 

We definitely toured around a bit on one of those trips with my parents, Teide included, but I remember it feeling pretty touristy even then, which is why I've never been overly keen to go back. I know the Lanzarote resorts are as generic as anywhere else but you've got the Timanfaya side of the island, the lagoons/caves and La Graciosa (which I finally went to on my most recent trip) which are all pretty remarkable in their own way. Will do my best to find something similar on the 'rife, though admittedly the main priority is sunshine, brain detachment and ploughing through a pile of books, so I'm sure it'll be grand for that either way.

• Like 1
On 24/02/2020 at 09:43, Meenzer said:

Oh dear, if it’s not Saharan dust storms it’s Coronavirus :lol:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51627597

( my daughter is due to go to Courmayeur in Val D’Aosta, Northern Italy in a week with her school, so I’ll be keeping an eye on that one :mellow: ). 

• 4 weeks later...

was supposed to be best man art a mate's (second) wedding in spain in july, followed by a week in mallorca - cant see either of those happening.

was supposed to have a week in paris for the wife's 40th over easter - yeah, right. 

when this is finally over, i might take the kids to disney orlando then a week on miami beach or something ridiculous that we would never usually do

Tenerife in May for Eurovision is obviously off for several reasons :lol: , and I'm assuming a weekend I've booked on the Dutch coast in mid-July is in trouble now too, but the airbnb is refundable and the travel can be rebooked for free so it could be worse. Hopeful I might get over to see my mate in Frankfurt at the end of August - I don't mind just kicking about at home or going for the odd bike ride if bars/restaurants are still shut, as long as some of the travel restrictions are lifted by then. We'll see.

Mind, there's going to be a lot of people with a lot of unused holiday entitlement they need to burn through towards the end of the year. Might hit the economy even worse than the virus. :lol: