Norwich V Newcastle / Saturday / 3PM / Carrow Road

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except as has been said before, gate money is fairly irrelevant nowadays, at least in the top flight. As HF has pointed out many times, Ashley doesn't seem to give a shit about match day revenue.

Strikes me it's a bit like having a go at someone for having a bus pass instead of buying single bus tickets. I suspect HMHM is having a go at the sterilisation of the grounds though, rather than STs per se. Nostalgia maybe.

Yeah but we aren't going to be in the top flight next season.

Never, ever understood the need to declare 'I'm a season ticket holder' as if it's a badge of pride or makes you a better fan. The only people who could afford season tickets sat in the west stand or east stand and were the classic tartan blanket/get your flasks out types. You couldn't get a season ticket in the gallowgate till the promotion season as they didn't exist before then. Personally think the ST culture fucking ruined English football in general and Newcastle United in particular.

I've had a season ticket in the east stand since the mid eighty's. It's not a badge of pride, it's just a fact. My dad took me as a bairn and paid for my ticket so I could hardly go anywhere else. I've kept it up so I could keep going with him rather than sitting with me mates.

I think all seater stadiums is a much worse thing for English football than season tickets. It's had a terrible effect on the atmosphere and it's probably been the main force behind season tickets anyway.

Never, ever understood the need to declare 'I'm a season ticket holder' as if it's a badge of pride or makes you a better fan. The only people who could afford season tickets sat in the west stand or east stand and were the classic tartan blanket/get your flasks out types. You couldn't get a season ticket in the gallowgate till the promotion season as they didn't exist before then. Personally think the ST culture fucking ruined English football in general and Newcastle United in particular.

Used to know they'd been into football for about 5 mins the instant someone rang up David Mellor on 6-0-6 and mentioned first up they were a season ticket-holder at 'The Bridge' or wherever.

Except as has been said before, gate money is fairly irrelevant nowadays, at least in the top flight. As HF has pointed out many times, Ashley doesn't seem to give a shit about match day revenue.

Strikes me it's a bit like having a go at someone for having a bus pass instead of buying single bus tickets. I suspect HMHM is having a go at the sterilisation of the grounds though, rather than STs per se. Nostalgia maybe.

Part sterilisation, part meek acceptance, part lack of power to stay away as a sign of unrest. I think MA has got off very lightly compared to the flak McKeag would've taken in the past for much less than Ashley's misdemeanors. There's no doubt in my mind the ST/all seats culture swept away a lot of the then current support to be replaced by people who would/could pay up and shut up and do as they're telt. Some of the younger generation must be their kids as I don't recognise their shit cockney wanker style craic especially at the odd away game I get to. Or maybe I'm just being nostalgic? They say the truth is usually somewhere in between two POV's.

Part sterilisation, part meek acceptance, part lack of power to stay away as a sign of unrest. I think MA has got off very lightly compared to the flak McKeag would've taken in the past for much less than Ashley's misdemeanors. There's no doubt in my mind the ST/all seats culture swept away a lot of the then current support to be replaced by people who would/could pay up and shut up and do as they're telt. Some of the younger generation must be their kids as I don't recognise their shit cockney wanker style craic especially at the odd away game I get to. Or maybe I'm just being nostalgic? They say the truth is usually somewhere in between two POV's.

We have a very different fanbase to the one we had in the days of Mckeag

Russian commentary like but managed to find highlights of it. My word. Current side isn't better mind.

That was my second ever match that I'd been to, the one previous was a 2-1 defeat from Fulham at home that season.

That sheff Utd game was atrocious as all that would happen was Bramble pump 60 yard diags into outmr 2 strikers Rossi and Dyer.