Yes Gemmill...

catmag

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

Seemed to have a lot of problems with addiction. RIP

I fucking hated Friends like. What a parcel of shite 

Young womens’ attitude to it in the 90s put me off, I think it was a lifestyle a lot of lasses aspired to (that and suggesting that Alanis Morrisette was somehow a spokesperson for all women in that era, if you’re reading this Nicky Holloway that means fuckin YOU!😏) but if you’re going to push that shit out you wouldn’t have bettered the writing or the comic performances from the actors. In that regard it was very good, just teeth grindingly fuckin smug and pleased with itself 🙄

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Kevin Carr's Gloves said:

The ice hockey community is reeling today after a player died from an on ice accident during a game last night when a skate sliced through his jugular.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/67253892

Pretty horrific- his teammates formed a ring around him until they could put medical screens up. 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Young womens’ attitude to it in the 90s put me off, I think it was a lifestyle a lot of lasses aspired to (that and suggesting that Alanis Morrisette was somehow a spokesperson for all women in that era, if you’re reading this Nicky Holloway that means fuckin YOU!😏) but if you’re going to push that shit out you wouldn’t have bettered the writing or the comic performances from the actors. In that regard it was very good, just teeth grindingly fuckin smug and pleased with itself 🙄

Not just smug and fake but the format too. I couldn’t get away with it. There was a lass I knew who liked it before it really took off when Ross had a pet monkey, which was hilarious apparently. Obviously you would catch the odd episode as it was pretty ubiquitous in the late 90s. The scenes where they’d sit in a cafe or apartment when they’d all be there. Then they’d one by one do little skits - Joey the thick as fuck fanny magnet, Phoebe the ‘cookie’ shite singer or whatever. Fuck off you bunch of fucking cunts. It was going up against the likes of I’m Alan Partridge, Father Ted and The League of Gentlemen at that time. Even stuff like One Foot in the Grave was miles better imo, in terms of more mainstream stuff. Not really much of a one for US sit-coms in general though. Married with Children was canny when I was about 13 like. Although that might not have been 100% down to the jokes 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ahem. Anyway, Friends. I watched it in the 90s, thought it was fairly novel I guess. By the 2000s though it was fucking terrible, but by then I knew some people fucking obsessed by it. And much more. Recently, my niece, who's 16 now, got into it so I watched a couple of episodes. They're a bunch of sociopathic cunts, a common theme in American shit coms. But With Seinfeld, Curb, and obviously Always Sunny, at least that is the point of the programme. With friends the weird misogynistic Fetching from the lads is supposed to be somehow endearing, the girls" shallowness also. 

Chandler. Bing was an okay character though, with his neuroses. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Renton said:

No idea what you mean? 

blonde-excited.gif.57932e578545fd04e1adcdbb64c5966f.gif

BTW, obviously every lad everywhere had a  wank over Christina Applegate at some point. But I remember a running joke in the sitcom was  "Peg" always begging for sex from he's husband Al. Tell you what, when you've the libido of a 15 year old I would have been right on her as well. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Ahem. Anyway, Friends. I watched it in the 90s, thought it was fairly novel I guess. By the 2000s though it was fucking terrible, but by then I knew some people fucking obsessed by it. And much more. Recently, my niece, who's 16 now, got into it so I watched a couple of episodes. They're a bunch of sociopathic cunts, a common theme in American shit coms. But With Seinfeld, Curb, and obviously Always Sunny, at least that is the point of the programme. With friends the weird misogynistic Fetching from the lads is supposed to be somehow endearing, the girls" shallowness also. 

Chandler. Bing was an okay character though, with his neuroses. 

Friends used to be a part of essential Friday night viewing,

TOTP, Bottom, Friends, The Word, TFI, Red Dwarf, Eurotrash, fantasy league. No doubt many others I’m missing,

What a time to be alive. 

• Like 4

i know it isn't fashionable to admit it, but i loved friends (and seinfeld). matthew perry was by far the funniest of the cast. helen lewis has produced a very moving and lovely tribute. as she points out, he could take lines which weren't that funny on paper and elevate them with timing and delivery. the news of his passing made me feel very sad 

https://helenlewis.substack.com/p/matthew-perry-the-best-friend-i-never

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alex said:

Not just smug and fake but the format too. I couldn’t get away with it. There was a lass I knew who liked it before it really took off when Ross had a pet monkey, which was hilarious apparently. Obviously you would catch the odd episode as it was pretty ubiquitous in the late 90s. The scenes where they’d sit in a cafe or apartment when they’d all be there. Then they’d one by one do little skits - Joey the thick as fuck fanny magnet, Phoebe the ‘cookie’ shite singer or whatever. Fuck off you bunch of fucking cunts. It was going up against the likes of I’m Alan Partridge, Father Ted and The League of Gentlemen at that time. Even stuff like One Foot in the Grave was miles better imo, in terms of more mainstream stuff. Not really much of a one for US sit-coms in general though. Married with Children was canny when I was about 13 like. Although that might not have been 100% down to the jokes 

the first couple of seasons were a bit shit. a bit like seinfeld in that case, which peaked about 4-5 season in. the golden friends era was around seasons 3-7. the first few the characters all felt like lazy stereotypes, like you mentioned, but the writers hit their stride in those middle seasons, some of which are very, very funny. i get why it isn't for everyone though. there's a lot of american style cheese/schmaltz - stevie would have hated it 

• Like 3