Yes Gemmill...

catmag

14 hours ago, Gemmill said:

Iron Eagle was his crowning glory. An Officer and a Gentleman was basically the preamble. 

Forgot about that. Basically ripping off Top Gun iirc. Although Top Gun ripped off quite a lot of The Right Stuff 

• 2 weeks later...

Given he was diagnosed with dementia a year after leaving us it explains a lot and raises a lot of questions about why Ashley and Llambias thought he was a suitable appointment.

On 16 June 2013, in a series of telephone interviews Kinnear claimed he had been appointed as director of football for Newcastle United.[53] In a Talksportinterview over the telephone on 17 June 2013, Kinnear stated he had replaced "Derek Lambesi" (mispronouncing the name of Derek Llambias) as the club's director of football, had signed Dean Holdsworth at Wimbledon for £50,000 (actually £650,000), sold Robbie Earle (who retired a year after Kinnear left), signed goalkeeper Tim Krul when he was previously manager (Krul was actually signed by Graeme Souness three years prior) and has been awarded the LMA Manager of the Year award three times despite only winning the award once. He also incorrectly stated he'd never been previously sacked.[54][55] Kinnear claimed to have signed John Hartson on a free when he in fact paid £7.5 million for the striker. He also mispronounced the names of Yohan Cabaye, Hatem Ben Arfa, Shola Ameobi and others in the Talksport interview.[56][57]The appointment, a three-year contract, was confirmed by Newcastle United on 18 June.[58] The confusion around Kinnear's appointment to the role was criticised by former club chairman Freddy Shepherd in an interview with BBC Sport.[59]Kinnear drew criticism when the 2013 summer transfer window closed with Kinnear failing to make a single permanent signing,[60] lone recruit Loïc Rémy having been signed on loan from Queens Park Rangers. This criticism intensified at the end of the 2014 winter transfer window with Kinnear failing again to make a permanent signing, this after the £20 million sale of midfielder Yohan Cabaye, with Luuk de Jong having been brought in on loan from Borussia Mönchengladbach.[61]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sonatine said:

Genuinely thought he carked it a while back.

Aye. I did as well 

16 hours ago, Alex said:

Aye. I did as well 

i was surprised to learn he was still alive when he was announced as our manager and that was more than a decade ago 

I was in France on my hols. Staying in a lovely spot in Limousin with limited internet access. I actually said the phrase “Joe Fucking Kinnear!?” to my lass 

• Haha 3

tbf to JFK - his heart attack paved the way for Chris Hughton to come in. It also settled the chin dribblers down who'd been crying for Shearer to be manager ever since we pied off Souness. So thanks for nearly dying in 2009 Joe, thanks for being a gold mine of comedy as DOF and enjoy getting mortal at the airport bar in the sky. (Probably as good a eulogy as he can hope for up these parts).

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I actually said the phrase “Joe Fucking Kinnear!?” to my lass 

:lol:

Aye, me too, and several tens of thousands others as well. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

God speed. 

I don't think the bloke will be encountering God tbf.

Priest: "Son, do want to give me your confession on your deathbed?"

OJ: "Yes, father. I actually did murder my wi....."

Priest: "Yes, we know that one, anything else before you go?"

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Priest: "Son, do want to give me your confession on your deathbed?"

OJ: "Yes, father. I actually did murder my wi....."

Priest: "Yes, we know that one, anything else before you go?"

Satan: Welcome OJ, I am Lucifer. For your welcome gift you have a choice between a cactus and a baseball bat with nails in it.

OJ: Ooh gifts, lovely. Wait, did you say Lucifer?

Satan: Indeed. This is hell. We know what you did.

OJ: I didn't do anything.

Satan: You literally wrote a book about doing it.

OJ: It was hypothetical.

Satan: Mate, come on now. Anyway, you're here now so which will you choose.

OJ: The bat, I guess.

Satan: OK, bend over.

• Haha 3