President Biden

Happy Face

It's nothing new. It's always been the case. I'm guessing it's similar to nuclear energy.

But the fact that this guy accepted the job (in a department he previously wanted to eliminate) without knowing what 2/3 of its budget was for shows his absolute lack of knowledge or preparation for the role.

Ah ok - yes that does seem rather ridiculous of him. Another promising sign from the incoming administration.

To be fair though, we give important dossiers to all manner of crap and incompetent people in this country so I'm tempted to argue that not knowing anything about the department you're responsible for is almost a democratic norm at this point.

Not quite.

If approved by the Senate, he will take over from a secretary, Ernest J. Moniz, who was chairman of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology physics department and directed the linear accelerator at M.I.T.’s Laboratory for Nuclear Science. Before Mr. Moniz, the job belonged to Steven Chu, a physicist who won a Nobel Prize.

For Mr. Moniz, the future of nuclear science has been a lifelong obsession; he spent his early years working at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. Mr. Perry studied animal husbandry and led cheers at Texas A&M University.

Mr. Moniz had such deep experience with nuclear weapons that in 2015, President Obama made him a co-negotiator, along with Secretary of State John Kerry, of the Iran nuclear deal.

I take the point but I was specifically referring to the UK where we give positions that suggest some knowledge of legal affairs to people who've no decent or credible background in law whatsoever.

And we set up Boris Johnson as foreign Secretary.

Kanye West was not asked to perform at Donald Trump's inauguration, which will be a "traditionally American" event, the chief organiser has said.

There has been speculation since the star told a concert crowd he would have voted for Mr Trump - if he had voted - and then turned up at Trump Tower.

But Tom Barrack, the Presidential Inaugural Committee chair, told CNN the ceremony is "not the venue" for West.

He said the rapper is "a great guy" but "we haven't asked him".

Mr Barrack said: "He considers himself a friend of the president-elect, but it's not the venue.

"The venue we have for entertainment is filled out, it's perfect, it's going to be typically and traditionally American, and Kanye is a great guy but we just haven't asked him to perform. We move on with our agenda."

Would've been easier just to say that his music is too black for Trump supporters.

Sounds like there are a lot of protesters around for his inauguration.

Has protesting ever successfully achieved anything? I don't think I've seen it work a single time. But I'm sure there must be some that do...?

Sounds like there are a lot of protesters around for his inauguration.

Has protesting ever successfully achieved anything? I don't think I've seen it work a single time. But I'm sure there must be some that do...?

Martin Luther King Day was this Monday.

I'm normally an avid news consumer but won't be watching a minute of today's shenanigans. I can't bear to look at him and every time he opens that mouth that looks like a dog's arsehole I'm physically repulsed. I particularly like Patton Oswalt's idea of how to deal with things.

Patton Oswalt

13 hrs · 

I don't know what to do tomorrow, either. Or the day after that or ANY of the days after that. We'll have to make it up as we go along. If it's any comfort, that seems to be Trump's plan, too.

I know there are protest marches planned for the 20th and ESPECIALLY for Saturday. And that's a great idea. I'm glad to see they're happening in "red" states as well as in D.C., Los Angeles and NYC.

But I was thinking...

Another thing you could do tomorrow, and Saturday? But ESPECIALLY tomorrow?

Leave your TV tuned to a channel like Turner Classic Movies or National Geographic or any channel that will have zero inaugural coverage. Then turn off your phone. Then shut down your computer.

And then -- IF you can afford it -- go find a struggling theater company and pay to see whatever play they're putting on. Or a struggling art gallery or music club or museum. Leave 'em money and see what they're about. Go see an indie film that's got stellar reviews and no audience. Or a new restaurant or other small business that needs friends and customers. Download a new band. Go to an independent bookstore and buy something from a small press. Go to an open mike. Or see any comedian. Tip your barista or barkeep a little extra.

In other words, do all of the cultural and aesthetic things that Trump thinks are worthless. Make a whole big chunk of existence suddenly spike in importance. And then keep doing that, if you can.

And if you DON'T have any money? Go knock on your neighbor's door and see if they need anything. If you have a friend who's Muslim, or gay, or any one of dozens of people that Trump has sneered at or hinted darkly about, go say hi and just ask if they're okay. Tell 'em you've got their back. That they can come over any time, knock on the door, even if they just need someone to yell "FUCK" with.

This is going to be loooooooooooong, tense four years. We elect leaders to take worry and tension OFF of our plates. We have enough of that as it is. But for some reason, we decided to put someone in charge where the everyday weight of keeping the world from cracking apart is COMPLETELY on our shoulders, along with everything else we already have to deal with.

So if we're really going to fight back, and resist, the first thing we have to do -- and it's only a little thing, really, but it's gotta be everyday -- is an ongoing, gentle blowing on the tiny spark of sanity that's still left, to keep it glowing.

We've got a President who bellows cold ignorance from dawn to dusk, and he could give a shit if he kills that spark.

So keep it lit. And keep things light. And huddle up.

This is gonna be bad. So be good

Martin Luther King Day was this Monday.

Yes but he became a political figurehead for the protests. There's no one in a similar position at the moment, I don't think. That said, you're totally right in principle.

I think I just meant these thrown together marches that never really seem to accomplish anything.

• Andrew changed the title to President Biden