The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Anorthernsoul

We need a keeper that can command his defence and who isn't afraid to keep on barking orders.

The closest one I've seen who attempts to do that, is Elliot.

It'll be a strange one this time around with a manager like Benitez who will certainly want to make sure that he has all the major ingredients in place to ensure we don't get left at the starting blocks.

If that means going in for Reina then so be it...or whoever he decides is a better bet than what he has at his disposal.

Edited by wolfy

To you.

Perhaps thats what Benitez sees as the missing component to his defence, an experienced quality keeper who can command the back line.

We have 3 1/2 'keepers, 2 of them have performed good-to-average in the top flight before, and while signing Reina would be a bit of statement of intent, I'd be hoping to see the priority areas addressed. 

I don't believe an "experienced quality keeper" is as vital as a striker, a left winger, a number 10, a centre mid and/or a left back. 

Cabaye used to make all the players around him 10% better, and this experienced 'keeper may well do the same, but the current roster would still be pretty poor by Premier League standards. That's why I think those positions I mentioned should take priority over a well-stocked position of all right players.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I don't believe an "experienced quality keeper" is as vital as a striker, a left winger, a number 10, a centre mid and/or a left back. 

v2yl0M.gif

Well, can we only be working on one deal at a time? No.

Is there anything official anywhere on deals we are working on? No.

Would Reina be better than we've got? Yes.

It'll be reyt won't it?

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Well, can we only be working on one deal at a time? No.

Is there anything official anywhere on deals we are working on? No.

Would Reina be better than we've got? Yes.

It'll be reyt won't it?

Cool cool cool, I just telling Wolfy that it's not the priority he implies it is. Not that it shouldn't ever happen, just that the focus should be on the positions I mention. I've no doubt Benitez and his staff are working on bringing in players for some of those positions. I mean we've already heard about links to Mangala and now Iheanacho, Abraham, the Cairney rumour isn't going anywhere and Gabriel Pires liked a NUFC fan account so he's definitely signing.

1 hour ago, wolfy said:

We need a keeper that can command his defence and who isn't afraid to keep on barking orders.

And he's gotta be fresh from the fight.

Echo reporting that Rafa has confirmed interest in Reina and that the deal would amount to about £4 million.

Absolute no brainer for me that one.

Personally I like Darlow but a mate of mine was telling me that he went to watch one of the U23 games that Elliot played in and he was constantly screaming at the defence in front of him.  I think that was why he got in for the last few games and potentially why Rafa wants a new keeper.

I'm of the same opinion as Fish though in that I don't think a new keeper (certainly not the type we can sign at the moment) will massively improve us.  Certainly not as much as having a good number 10/left winger/left back would.

5 hours ago, Ant said:

Linked with Grosicki now, he looked decent towards the end of the season with Hull, creates a load of chances for them

Liked the look of him whenever I saw him player.  I'm not a big fan of signing players who just got their teams relegated but I would say that if he'd been with them all season they probably wouldn't have been.

2 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I'm of the same opinion as Fish though in that I don't think a new keeper (certainly not the type we can sign at the moment) will massively improve us.  Certainly not as much as having a good number 10/left winger/left back would.

I agree, but as someone else said, it's not detracting from chasing those positions.

Seems like both 'keepers in and out will be fairly straight forward.

Just now, adios said:

I agree, but as someone else said, it's not detracting from chasing those positions.

Seems like both 'keepers in and out will be fairly straight forward.

Doesn't detract from chasing but it may detract from being able to afford someone.  That's the only time I'd have a problem with it.  Other than the fact that I've never thought of Reina as a particularly good keeper in the first place.  Not that I've seen a great deal of him.

16 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Personally I like Darlow but a mate of mine was telling me that he went to watch one of the U23 games that Elliot played in and he was constantly screaming at the defence in front of him.  I think that was why he got in for the last few games and potentially why Rafa wants a new keeper.

You just have to look at some of the clangers we've dropped this year to see that Darlow isn't vocal enough. Clark's own goal against QPR and Dummett's against Fulham (?) spring to mind where they could have been avoided had he given them a shout.

13 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

You just have to look at some of the clangers we've dropped this year to see that Darlow isn't vocal enough. Clark's own goal against QPR and Dummett's against Fulham (?) spring to mind where they could have been avoided had he given them a shout.

The Clark one definitely.  I think Dummett was to blame for the other one (was it not Bristol?).  The reaction of both of them after suggested to me that Darlow had shouted but Dummett didn't listen and fucked it up.

3 hours ago, David Kelly said:

Doesn't detract from chasing but it may detract from being able to afford someone.  That's the only time I'd have a problem with it.  Other than the fact that I've never thought of Reina as a particularly good keeper in the first place.  Not that I've seen a great deal of him.

Krul will go out for a bit more I would have thought.  Which should balance the wages too?

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

:lol: This window is gonna be mint. 

The Benitez factor will help us massively in the transfer market I think, at the end of the day the best players want to play for the best managers and Benitez has the pedigree.

Completely made up bid for Giroud chucked about this morning.

solid silly seasoning.

Semedo seems plausible though, interesting that with that and Reina it appears that Rafa thinks it is the defence that needs the most immediate work. 

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Completely made up bid for Giroud chucked about this morning.

solid silly seasoning.

Semedo seems plausible though, interesting that with that and Reina it appears that Rafa thinks it is the defence that needs the most immediate work. 

He'd be completely correct aswell like, refreshing to see that our manager can identify and address areas of the squad that need improved. He done exactly the same last summer and look how well it turned out. This is in complete contrast to the previous manager's at the club, although he has made it possible by demanding things on his terms whereas previously they were just yes men.