I've been thinking this week about strikers at the club and will we ever see someone as good as Shearer again? I doubt it. What prompted the thoughts was me watching the derby against Sunderland where he scored his final goal. I remember the scenes in the away end that day, different class. He scored some pearlers for us in his time here, without doubt my favourite ever player at the club (Beardsley in a close second). What's your favourite goal? This one for me, purely for the memories of the whole stand absolutely bouncing when it went in. It was a tight game and the mixture of relief and jubilation will always stay with me. What a player.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

This one always makes me smile, the ball from Rob Lee, the volley, the celebration, Schmeichel rooted to the spot  

Also, I was about 10 rows up from the pitcj, right in front of him. 

:nufc: 

32 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

This one always makes me smile, the ball from Rob Lee, the volley, the celebration, Schmeichel rooted to the spot  

I'd completely forgotten he'd put that past Schmeichel. :D

38 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Thats the one I'm on about 

13 minutes ago, Tooj said:

Not sure how long YouTube will let me have this one my account, but it's probably the best Shearer video I made.

Superb mate, he gets the usual "You chose Newcastle over medals" patter all of the time but I honestly believe the feeling of scoring every time for HIS club outweighs that tenfold. His loyalty is unmatched in football for someone in his prime and it puts modern day players to shame. A fantastic servant to his club, country and the sport in general.

• Like 1

I was watching that one with an Everton fan.  Am I right in thinking that that was near the end, losing 1-0 and ended up winning 2-1?

2 hours ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

I think Bellamy squeezed one in at the near post late on. Sure it was around Christmas time too as I remember I was putting my Christmas Tree up as a bairn while watching the game.

Yeah it went in off Sun Jihai, I think. 

Everton 'keeper was superb that game, and it was looking like we'd never find a way around him. I was in the Gallowgate when Shola headed the ball back to Shearer, an excitable bloke near me shouted "Shoot" and I vividly remember thinking he was a twat. No, don't take a shot Shearer, you're miles out, we've space out on the flanks with 3 forwards in the attack, spread it wide and get the ball into the booooOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH FUCK ME WHAT A GOAL!

Edited by The Fish

9 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Ye processed that thought quickly

I'm not bound by the constraints of linear time.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

I think Bellamy squeezed one in at the near post late on. Sure it was around Christmas time too as I remember I was putting my Christmas Tree up as a bairn while watching the game.

That randomly made me feel very old for no reason at all.

5 hours ago, Anorthernsoul said:

That randomly made me feel very old for no reason at all.

It's most likely because you're very, very old.

• 1 year later...