Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

3 hours ago, Alex said:

Where’s the Civil Service Strollers when you need them? 

They’re Lowland League along with dear old Berwick Rangers nowadays. What you’re looking at there is the Highland League fixtures :) 

3 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

And the mighty Gala Fairydean :gay: 

Who’s hallowed Netherdale ground I graced with my presence in my youth

😎 one or two games v John Collins ex Hibs, Celtic, Monaco,Everton, Fulham etc…

Wait till you see the stand, it’s a fuckin doozy 😊

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-63426968

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

It was the other way round as, unlike the great Michael Holding, Peter Willey wasn’t much of a bowler. I think that was apocryphal unfortunately (although I like to imagine Brian Johnston saying it then making the TMS box giggle). Lillee caught Willey bowled Dilley actually did occur though. 

Killjoy

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

They’re Lowland League along with dear old Berwick Rangers nowadays. What you’re looking at there is the Highland League fixtures :) 

I did subsequently realise that. Along with, sadly, Cowdenbeath. One of the less unusual names but with the superb nickname ‘The Blue Brazil’. I used to love  (even as a very young kid) listening to James Alexander Gordon reading out the full classified results. Mainly for the unusual and poetically named Scottish teams. Even Celtic and Rangers, with their not being named after the place they play. Then Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian. The latter being the Roman name for Ireland. As you went down the leagues the names got better. Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Hamilton Academical and so on. My favourite was always Queen of the South though. Which I later found out was a reference to Dumfries in a Robert Burns poem, and that phrase in turn is a biblical quote referring to the Queen of Sheba. :D 
Edit: I checked and it was David Dunbar, not Burns (although Buns was from around Dumfries too) 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Who’s hallowed Netherdale ground I graced with my presence in my youth

😎 one or two games v John Collins ex Hibs, Celtic, Monaco,Everton, Fulham etc…

Wait till you see the stand, it’s a fuckin doozy 😊

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-south-scotland-63426968

It's like they saw Gateshead and said "that, but smaller and in concrete"

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I did subsequently realise that. Along with, sadly, Cowdenbeath. One of the less unusual names but with the superb nickname ‘The Blue Brazil’. I used to love  (even as a very young kid) listening to James Alexander Gordon reading out the full classified results. Mainly for the unusual and poetically named Scottish teams. Even Celtic and Rangers, with their not being named after the place they play. Then Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian. The latter being the Roman name for Ireland. As you went down the leagues the names got better. Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Hamilton Academical and so on. My favourite was always Queen of the South though. Which I later found out was a reference to Dumfries in a Robert Burns poem, and that phrase in turn is a biblical quote referring to the Queen of Sheba. :D 

There’s a book you’d like here, I think QotS feature in it, written by a smoggie who lives in Scotland..

https://www.waterstones.com/book/stramash/daniel-gray//9781906817664?gad_source=1&sv1=affiliate&sv_campaign_id=863943&awc=3787_1707913557_38306248f3b4d0b9d85f98e1df32bfa6&utm_source=863943&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.octer.co.uk%2F

9 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

It's like they saw Gateshead and said "that, but smaller and in concrete"

I’ll never forget the first day I saw it… I was maybe 11ish and I thought it had been dropped on to a football pitch from another planet :lol: It’s right next to the Gala RFC rugby ground, where we were watching Gala v Kelso but I didn’t watch much of the match I just couldn’t take my eyes off this massive fuckin carbuncle next door.. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Cheers, mate. I’ve rekindled my love of local football of late. It’s quite a nice way for me, my dad and my eldest to spend a bit of time together too. I had last weekend all mapped out with Heaton Stannington hosting Temecula, a team on tour from San Diego (believe it or not - why the fuck they thought a tour of the north east and Scotland in February was a good idea is beyond me) on Friday night. Then Benfield at home to Whitley Bay on Saturday afternoon. But the rain fucked the fixture list and practically every local game was off. Don’t worry though, I’m not planning on starting a blog about it and linking to it on here ;) 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

Cheers, mate. I’ve rekindled my love of local football of late. It’s quite a nice way for me, my dad and my eldest to spend a bit of time together too. I had last weekend all mapped out with Heaton Stannington hosting Temecula, a team on tour from San Diego (believe it or not - why the fuck they thought a tour of the north east and Scotland in February was a good idea is beyond me) on Friday night. Then Benfield at home to Whitley Bay on Saturday afternoon. But the rain fucked the fixture list and practically every local game was off. Don’t worry though, I’m not planning on starting a blog about it and linking to it on here ;) 

You should if you want to though, one infamous poster on here has used it to promote his podcast for the last decade or so free of charge the chancing fuckin freeloader😒

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye. I did too. Wiki and the club site says different: http://www.qosfc.com/history

Am fairly sure that’s a recent revaluation then. That book I’ve recommended says it’s a line from a Burns poem :lol: 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

I've enjoyed local and lower league football recently too. Been to see some of the local clubs like Avro, West Didsbury and Chorlton FC, Cheadle Town and Altrincham. Also watched AFC Wimbledon manage one the most turgid 0-0s I've ever seen, despite them having some entertainment in all their fixtures before and after it.

image.png.8472c764d69111d5bce6b7914e2dd964.png

Haven't taken the lad to watch those games, but did take him to watch Stockport last season. He enjoyed about 75 minutes of it, then morphed into the Tasmanian Devil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

You should if you want to though, one infamous poster on here has used it to promote his podcast for the last decade or so free of charge the chancing fuckin freeloader😒

Am fairly sure that’s a recent revaluation then. That book I’ve recommended says it’s a line from a Burns poem :lol: 

That’s funny because I was questioning my memory. I’m sure I read it was a line from Burns in more than one place. Wonder if it’s a long standing myth that’s been corrected recently 

14 hours ago, Alex said:

It was the other way round as, unlike the great Michael Holding, Peter Willey wasn’t much of a bowler. I think that was apocryphal unfortunately (although I like to imagine Brian Johnston saying it then making the TMS box giggle). Lillee caught Willey bowled Dilley actually did occur though. 

Reminds me of the following headline:

"Super Caley Go Ballistic, Celtic Are Atrocious"

:smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1