Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

4 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Remind me again who is the head of the European Clubs Association.

ah, he's also PSG president. hmm then we wait on uefa implementing before we implement 😏

The main problem with VAR is that referees are massive nerds, who never played the game themselves even as kids. So they know the “laws” of the game but don’t know what is and isn’t a foul. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, strawb said:

The main problem with VAR is that referees are massive nerds, who never played the game themselves even as kids. So they know the “laws” of the game but don’t know what is and isn’t a foul. 

Aye and you probably need to be already dedicated to becoming a ref when you would otherwise be playing junior football if you ever hope to make it as a PL-level official. It takes that long to progress through the ranks 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

Aye and you probably need to be already dedicated to becoming a ref when you would otherwise be playing junior football if you ever hope to make it as a PL-level official. It takes that long to progress through the ranks 

Imagine the type of nob who knows as a kid they want to be a referee rather than try to be an actual footballer.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, strawb said:

Imagine the type of nob who knows as a kid they want to be a referee rather than try to be an actual footballer.

Aye. You see it with my eldest playing junior football. You do actually get sone young kids who are decent but you also get ones who are little knobs getting their own back. It’s adults too but at that level / age group you get a lot of kids who are still at school. I actually think the oddest ones are when they clearly have zero interest in being there beyond getting their expenses

Posted (edited)

You don’t need to have been an ex-footballer though to see that the challenge above was a penalty. The problem is that there appears to be a very small pool of referees to chose from and why would anyone actually want to be a referee? Most of the time you’re working for no or little money and even if you make it to the professional ranks the money isn’t life changing. The main motivation to me seems to be the same as becoming a bouncer, just having a little bit of control over other people makes them feel like they are someone.

Edited by ewerk
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

You don’t need to have been an ex-footballer though to see that the challenge above was a penalty. The problem is that there appears to be a very small pool of referees to chose from and why would anyone actually want to be a referee? Most of the time you’re working for no or little money and even if you make it to the professional ranks the money isn’t life changing. The main motivation to me seems to be the same as becoming a bouncer, just having a little bit of control over other people makes them feel like they are someone.

Super dry wearing wanna be coppers who are in the TA. Probably used to be scout leaders. 

• Haha 7

5 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

Man United have their very own Mike Ashley. 

Short thread if you click through. 

And twitter glory Man U dipsticks lapping it up. 

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

And twitter glory Man U dipsticks lapping it up. 

Thats Nice Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Every time I've seen this bloke speak, he's dripping with arrogance. If he's delivered this news to the staff with that arrogance on display, a lot of people will just leave. 

Anyway, fuck them. I think this bloke is gonna be a fucking disaster for them though. He seems to be taking the Ashley approach of thinking you can just transfer hard nosed business practices into football, and have it work. 

• Like 6

I saw a job advertised at Man Utd, matchday safety officer type thing. So full green book match safety for what 75000 people? 

Paying a LOT less than I’m on now building council houses and flats. 

Mad cunts

• Like 4

I saw a bit of that kavehl sahl or whatever the fuck he's called grifting his arse off on SSN talking about Salah and his little tiff with Klopp. Apparently the Saudis will be monitoring this and would LOVE to have him but are very respectful of clubs like Liverpool and won't rock the boat unless they're told Salah wants to come. They'll also probably want to wait to his contract runs down thus getting him without a fee but if given permission will pay big money for him now but only if that's ok with Liverpool and Salah because obviously they're very respectful of clubs like Liverpool. :lol: Can you imagine this crack if it was us trying to sell Wilson with a year left on his contract? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I saw a bit of that kavehl sahl or whatever the fuck he's called grifting his arse off on SSN talking about Salah and his little tiff with Klopp. Apparently the Saudis will be monitoring this and would LOVE to have him but are very respectful of clubs like Liverpool and won't rock the boat unless they're told Salah wants to come. They'll also probably want to wait to his contract runs down thus getting him without a fee but if given permission will pay big money for him now but only if that's ok with Liverpool and Salah because obviously they're very respectful of clubs like Liverpool. :lol: Can you imagine this crack if it was us trying to sell Wilson with a year left on his contract? 

That Kavehl Sahl needs to get his leg over or open a window at the very least. 

49 minutes ago, strawb said:

I saw a job advertised at Man Utd, matchday safety officer type thing. So full green book match safety for what 75000 people? 

Paying a LOT less than I’m on now building council houses and flats. 

Mad cunts

Aye, they'll be paying peanuts and if you're demanding people go into the office in London, you've just handed them a chunky effective paycut and at least an hour either end of their working day. 

Maybe similar in Manchester. 

I know not everyone gets to work from home but once you do, and when you're in a job that absolutely doesn't require you to be in an office, having some daft cunt come along and tell you you're now in the office 5 days a week is a big problem. Morale will be stinking. 

• Like 4

:lol: He’s class isn’t he. As if getting the marketing department to come into the office is going to turn the club around. Everything he does is purely for external image - just meaningless gestures. 

The Ashworth bit here proves Gemmill’s point, it’s just guff and bluster from a bloke that thinks he can just strong arm people into doing what he wants - which he will do within his business, the difference here though is he’s not got a fucking ounce of leverage and is dealing with people far, far richer than he is. I always find the Man U fans whinging about this funny, acting as if it’s some big issue for us when in reality Ashworth was put on leave and we immediately set about moving forward leaving him and Man U to sort it out - we’re just waiting for them to either give a proper offer or let him hang about on leave. 

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Apparently there’s a fly on the wall documentary being made (filming started in January) about Klopp’s final months at Liverpool. But no streaming service has picked it up yet. I don’t know about anyone else but I would definitely watch it :D 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Apparently there’s a fly on the wall documentary being made (filming started in January) about Klopp’s final months at Liverpool. But no streaming service has picked it up yet. I don’t know about anyone else but I definitely watch it :D 

I'll definitely watch it, the down turn in fortunes after the league cup win will be absolute cinema. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I wonder if Ten Pence has been wfh? 

He has been most of the season by the looks of it 

Plus Ten Pence :lol: 

3 hours ago, Gemmill said:

https://theathletic.com/5461119/2024/05/02/pep-guardiola-time-to-quit?source=user-shared-article

Makes some good points. He should leave this summer, take the England job, win the WC in 2026.

But most importantly, he should get the fuck out of the PL and give someone else a go at winning things. 

Klopp gone, plus Chelsea, Man Utd maybe changing manager again. If Guardiola's going that blows the top of the league open for the chaos to reign. 

Arteta and Howe sharing knowing smirks as Emery and Ange persist with a suicidal high line. 

Everton relegated for financial irregularities. 

24/25 sewn up nicely. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Klopp gone, plus Chelsea, Man Utd maybe changing manager again. If Guardiola's going that blows the top of the league open for the chaos to reign. 

Arteta and Howe sharing knowing smirks as Emery and Ange persist with a suicidal high line. 

Everton relegated for financial irregularities

24/25 sewn up nicely. 

Don't you start. 😡