World Cup 2018

Meenzer

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

:lol: tell me more 

I reckon HMHM has been the victim of his own poor decision-making here. If you go to a pub to watch England in a World Cup knockout match, you are begging to have a shit night, surrounded by cunts. And that goes for any decade that I've been alive, not just 2018.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I went to both matches that were held in the NE last decade. Horrible experience and completely put me off international football. At the end of the day it is all about nationalism which I'll always loathe. Then there's the hype, the fucking band....  

Having said that the present team are the least obnoxious for a good few years. Am quite happy to watch -at home- as a relative agnostic. And Columbia were shit houses. The media wankathon still rankles though. 

If you think the media are bad, we're one match away from politicians getting in on the act. I can't wait to hear Boris Johnson draw parallels with Britain in a post Brexit world and Theresa May's dog dirt smelling view.

I think it helps that most England fans have stayed at home so we don't have to watch scenes pissed up, red-faced baldies running round Moscow giving it the big 'un.

I was telling myself before the game that i didn't care, same view as Renton, but then watching Colombia arse around all fucking game before we eventually won on penalties of all things... idk, couldn't remain 'above it'. I was jumping around the fucking living room :D

This is the first England team in over a decade that has earned support IMO. Even if we go out to Sweden,  which we shouldn't, I'm pleased we made it this far. If we beat Sweden I might actually be proud.

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If you think the media are bad, we're one match away from politicians getting in on the act. I can't wait to hear Boris Johnson draw parallels with Britain in a post Brexit world and Theresa May's dog dirt smelling view.

Aye, this will definitely happen. Politicians who normally hate the pleb game of football will seize any England success as a metaphor. 

Is it like this in other countries, recently successful ones like France, Germany, and Spain? I get the feeling it isn't. 

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I was telling myself before the game that i didn't care, same view as Renton, but then watching Colombia arse around all fucking game before we eventually won on penalties of all things... idk, couldn't remain 'above it'. I was jumping around the fucking living room :D

This is the first England team in over a decade that has earned support IMO. Even if we go out to Sweden,  which we shouldn't, I'm pleased we made it this far. If we beat Sweden I might actually be proud.

Sweden will be no easy task, I'm glad that Japan pushed Belgium and that we've had to really earn our way to playing in the quarter final, hopefully it will knock back any of that complacency within the media and support that we're on the "easy" path to world cup glory.

Sweden are quite similar to the Iceland that knocked us out of the Euros in many ways so it'll be a test, they're very defensive, and quite good at it with not much quality up front but the ball will be mostly with us and they'll be looking to shift the ball forward quickly on the counter. They've come up against Holland, Italy and Germany throughout the qualification/tournament process and they're still here while the others are at home. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Sweden will be no easy task, I'm glad that Japan pushed Belgium and that we've had to really earn our way to playing in the quarter final, hopefully it will knock back any of that complacency within the media and support that we're on the "easy" path to world cup glory.

Sweden are quite similar to the Iceland that knocked us out of the Euros in many ways so it'll be a test, they're very defensive, and quite good at it with not much quality up front but the ball will be mostly with us and they'll be looking to shift the ball forward quickly on the counter. They've come up against Holland, Italy and Germany throughout the qualification/tournament process and they're still here while the others are at home. 

If we can refrain from playing Kyle Walker, i think we should be ok. Otherwise we'll have to score two.

I fancy us to get 1 at least but its hard to say where it will come from. Doubt Sweden will give away any stupid penalties.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

This I genuinely don't get. What will you be proud of? 

National pride for me kind of makes more sense for small oppressed Mickey Mouse countries like Scotland and Ireland. (;)) . I dunno, England is so fragmented, I feel I have very little in common with the Midlands or South. 

Just now, Renton said:

This I genuinely don't get. What will you be proud of? 

National pride for me kind of makes more sense for small oppressed Mickey Mouse countries like Scotland and Ireland. (;)) . I dunno, England is so fragmented, I feel I have very little in common with the Midlands or South. 

I will be proud of the players? I don't get this reflected glory business and it won't make me feel any better about myself, but i think its ok to feel proud of the team succeeding.

Agree with everything else you wrote though and will caveat my comment by saying that i was also 'proud' of Japan on the basis that they were a positive testament to the human race in a tournament where such things are hard to find.

That kind of the point of a national football team. Something you can all get behind together.

And you can fuck off with your Mickey Mouse shit, don't forget who has their foot on your throat in Brexit negotiations. ;) 

I still haven't seen a proper replay of Pickford's save that gave away the corner that gave away the equaliser. It looked insane in real time.

ITV showed me a replay of Ian Wright celebrating the penalties with his belly hanging out the bottom of his shirt instead.

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I still haven't seen a proper replay of Pickford's save that gave away the corner that gave away the equaliser. It looked insane in real time.

It was a very good save but he did see it coming a long way out.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

If we can refrain from playing Kyle Walker, i think we should be ok. Otherwise we'll have to score two.

I fancy us to get 1 at least but its hard to say where it will come from. Doubt Sweden will give away any stupid penalties.

Walkers been alright, Id rather have him in there against this sweden team tbh, they aren't particularly quick so we should be able to play up quite high and having his pace to recover should they break the line will be useful.

If anything I don't want to see Alli playing, hes offered very little for me so far, RLC isn't brilliant but at least has some power and stature to him. I feel bad for Sterling that hes not been able to step up and score following all the unwarranted criticism off him for non-footballing reasons before the tournament but I'd like to see Rashford come in too, his composure for the penalty shootout really impressed me.

Just now, Andrew said:

Walkers been alright, Id rather have him in there against this sweden team tbh, they aren't particularly quick so we should be able to play up quite high and having his pace to recover should they break the line will be useful.

If anything I don't want to see Alli playing, hes offered very little for me so far, RLC isn't brilliant but at least has some power and stature to him. I feel bad for Sterling that hes not been able to step up and score following all the unwarranted criticism off him for non-footballing reasons before the tournament but I'd like to see Rashford come in too, his composure for the penalty shootout really impressed me.

Walker was responsible for that penalty against Tunisia as i recall, and also played a pass yesterday that Colombia should have scored with. He just seems to have a mistake in him every game. Not sure who was to blame for the Panama goal but it wouldn't surprise me if it was him.

Not saying he's a bad player but i keep wishing Lascelles was there instead, lets put it that way.

30 minutes ago, Renton said:

I went to both matches that were held in the NE last decade. Horrible experience and completely put me off international football. At the end of the day it is all about nationalism which I'll always loathe. Then there's the hype, the fucking band....  

Having said that the present team are the least obnoxious for a good few years. Am quite happy to watch -at home- as a relative agnostic. And Columbia were shit houses. The media wankathon still rankles though. 

Cheer up eeyore. Getting behind your country’s footie team in a World Cup doesn’t make you a brexiteer dickhead.

This England team, as limited as it is, is playing with spirit not seen since the 90s. Reminds me of being young, optimistic and getting sucked into inevitable disappointment. Nice nostalgic vibe.

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

It was a very good save but he did see it coming a long way out.

It was some hit though, even from that distance. He had no right to save it - best stop of the tournament 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Cheer up eeyore. Getting behind your country’s footie team in a World Cup doesn’t make you a brexiteer dickhead.

This England team, as limited as it is, is playing with spirit not seen since the 90s. Reminds me of being young, optimistic and getting sucked into inevitable disappointment. Nice nostalgic vibe.

Fair enough. And has been pointed out our fans aren't embarassing themselves in the host nation this year. On the negative side though, no NUFC connection at all is there?

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Fair enough. And has been pointed out our fans aren't embarassing themselves in the host nation this year. On the negative side though, no NUFC connection at all is there?

Aye but watching the mackems go on about Henderson and Pickford has actually managed to make me pleased that we don't get to see our fans making tits of themselves in quite the same way...