World Cup 2018

Meenzer

9 hours ago, Gemmill said:

It's still awful though. That from Henderson and then Maguire getting praised by Hoddle for diving then waving the ref off from making a decision. Bullshit from the pair of them.

I agree, but with the officiating the way it is these days, it's forcing the players to look ridiculous. Hopefully one of the side effects of VAR will be shit like that in the box decreasing.

Despite the fact that I was joking before and strawb was totally correct that Pickford couldn't have known it wasn't on target, I don't see how you can compare it to Gordon Banks save when the shot wasn't on target.  Taking nowt away from Pickford as he did great to get a hand to it.  It simply can't be as good.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

I agree, but with the officiating the way it is these days, it's forcing the players to look ridiculous. Hopefully one of the side effects of VAR will be shit like that in the box decreasing.

I thought that but last night was some of the worst I've ever seen and most of it was unpunished either on the field or by VAR.

29 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Despite the fact that I was joking before and strawb was totally correct that Pickford couldn't have known it wasn't on target, I don't see how you can compare it to Gordon Banks save when the shot wasn't on target.  Taking nowt away from Pickford as he did great to get a hand to it.  It simply can't be as good.

It's better given the context ;)

That's results-oriented thinking for me.

It's every bit as good as Banks' save if you consider the probabilities (which is how we should all think, obviously :razz: )

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The context being that at 89mins, without a proper save to make all game, Pickford pulls off a finger tip save from a 40yd screamer to keep England ahead in the game heading into the 1/4 finals

Banks made a good save in a group game that stopped England losing 2-0 rather than 1-0

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The context being that at 89mins, without a proper save to make all game, Pickford pulls off a finger tip save from a 40yd screamer to keep England ahead in the game heading into the 1/4 finals

Banks made a good save in a group game that stopped England losing 2-0 rather than 1-0

Great save.

As I see it, it's like watching some wrestler pull off a moonsault in WWE.  It looks impressive but we all know it has no real effect.  Pickford made a hell of a reach to make that save and, as you say, since he'd had next to nothing to do for the rest of the game it was also impressive for his concentration.  But it didn't impact the game positively for us at all.  If he'd done worse we'd have actually been better off.  That's not his fault and he should be rightly proud of it.  I've made saves (not anywhere near as good as that) that have meant just as little in the context of the game that I've probably been just as proud of (in the context of my ability compared to his).

1 minute ago, David Kelly said:

we all know it has no real effect. 

You know wrestling is pretend, right?

Hey MF, I think you linked the wrong thing. B)

About the Pickford save: I saw it as a poorly taken penalty rather than an excellent save. I think the Colombian attempted to go down the middle but kicked it where Pickford was diving.  There have been a couple of those in this tournament.