VAR... really??

PaddockLad

There was a thread on here years ago (if anyone with search skills better than mine wants to give it a go feel free, i couldnt find it) awhere my complete pedant/ludite side annihilated anyone who was suggesting that goal line technology wouldn't  lead to technology being used for matters of opinion and not just fact on the field of play. Well here we fuckin are folks...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/var-explained-how-the-video-assistant-referee-system-will-be-used-in-brighton-vs-crystal-palace-fa-a3734186.html

16 minutes ago, strawb said:

The refs still have to blow the whistle to check it, so I doubt anyone will get sent off against us

:lol:

My first thought was 'it can't hurt us any more than the current set up, we get absolutely fuck all, no pens, instant yellows for first bookable offences, opposition allowed about three before the card comes out, no pens for, no problems awarding against, etc' then I woke up and smelled the coffee. I've no doubt we'll still get fucked with no real benefits to it.

About fucking time.

Heard some gimp on the radio this morning complaining that it would slow the flow of the game down. :lol:

What, like the fucking pussies feigning injury you mean rolling around like they have been shot?

Its 2018 FFS. This is about 9 years too late.

1 hour ago, Howmanheyman said:

:lol:

My first thought was 'it can't hurt us any more than the current set up, we get absolutely fuck all, no pens, instant yellows for first bookable offences, opposition allowed about three before the card comes out, no pens for, no problems awarding against, etc' then I woke up and smelled the coffee. I've no doubt we'll still get fucked with no real benefits to it.

Haha aye, I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Seems like someone needs to be charged with GBH for us to get a pen or a red card.

4 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

There was a thread on here years ago (if anyone with search skills better than mine wants to give it a go feel free, i couldnt find it) awhere my complete pedant/ludite side annihilated anyone who was suggesting that goal line technology wouldn't  lead to technology being used for matters of opinion and not just fact on the field of play. Well here we fuckin are folks...

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/var-explained-how-the-video-assistant-referee-system-will-be-used-in-brighton-vs-crystal-palace-fa-a3734186.html

I'm not sure I follow. All decisions on the field are currently based on one man's opinion. By using this technology, the same one man has the opportunity to review an incident he's unsure of, with support from two other men. Then they can all come to an informed opinion together. How is the technology then facilitating opinion over fact?

8 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

It’s used in the Bundesliga this season and referees quite often made a total mess of it.

Teething problems?

I am failing to see how it could be worse than the status quo.  Obviously we will complain just as much as always about how three officials could fuck up such an obvious decision but the reality will be better.

I also watch a lot of Italian matches and I agree it's been better, also in time they will get better and faster at sorting it out.  

The match changing wrong decisions will become a thing of the past.   

1 hour ago, rogerbarton said:

I'm not sure I follow. All decisions on the field are currently based on one man's opinion. By using this technology, the same one man has the opportunity to review an incident he's unsure of, with support from two other men. Then they can all come to an informed opinion together. How is the technology then facilitating opinion over fact?

Goal line tech was brought on the principle that its either a goal or it's not. Whether a challenge  is a pen or not is an opinion. Look at Lallana the other night v Everton, the replays were clear on one thing, that what they showed was inconclusive. I thought it wasn't, but others thought it was. All technology proved that it wasn't clear cut and you just had to make up your own mind. 

The key opinion in this therefore isn't the refs, it's his colleague looking at the video. It's him who stops play for the review, not the ref on the pitch as you say. But apparently a lot of players have been appealing to the on pitch ref, this happened between Lazio and Fioretina before new year, the ball hit a Lazio players hand in the penalty area and the on pitch ref went to video instead of his colleague on the touchline. 

Perhaps it's all just teething trouble but ffs football is the world game and it became that long before and without the need for world wide media driving bullshit like this just because they can. Ive frankly had enough of self important pundits and the witless morons who parrot what they say. This will just make it all fully worse. 

Edited by PaddockLad

There will always be mistakes but don't you think the key decisions overall will be way better with the advantage of this technology?

Judgement in real time by one man in one position vs judgement of three with the advantage of a replay from a good angle.

Edited by adios

When you think about some of the truly mind-blowing officiating errors (Beye red v. Man City, dire offside goal award for Bournemouth a few weeks ago, Tiote disallowed goal v. Man City, "ghost goals" that have been given, Henry handball v. ROI, yellow card for Ben Thatcher after GBH on Pedro Mendes) that have single-handedly wrecked games, how can you not support this system? Of course it will have some bugs to work out at the start but it'll be good for the game long term. 

Penalty for Sheffield United was a flagrant double hit as well, that one could've been corrected in 15 seconds. There will still be shades of grey and areas of interpretation for refs to handle, but obvious, clear and present violations of the rules of the game should be getting fixed in real time, not belatedly overturned by a panel or tried via Sky Sports jury. 

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Danny Baker nails it :D

It wasn't a handball though, off his knee and absolutely no diversion or change of spin off his arm.

Might as well write it off on its first use though eh?

1 hour ago, rogerbarton said:

Even Roy Hodgson admitted it was a fair goal. The referee spoke briefly to the VAR who said there was nothing worth stopping the game for, and on we went. I'd call that a success!

well yes i agree but the game had stopped anyway so there would have been no harm checking from every angle.  So far so good anyway.  When's the next var game then?