Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Les Mis.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Not really a fan of musicals (and was a bit put off by the bit they played on Kermode last week), but thought this was outstanding. The performances are great (even the much-maligned Crowe is ok) but Anne Hathaway is just staggering.

Going on Wednesday and can't wait! It's been my favourite musical by far for years now and I was a bit apprehensive about them doing a film version but the reviews seem good.

Anyone seen Life of Pi?

Silver Linings Playbook

Silver-Linings-Playbook---010.jpg

It follows around Patrick who has just spent 8 months in a mental institution and upon his release he is trying to reconcile with his estranged wife. This gets more complicated as he develops a hugely complex friendship with fellow depressive Tiffany.

Quirky, funny, uplifting, beautiful and somehow still manages to make you feel the pain and trauma the main characters are going through at the same time. I've read people saying this film was average and is just your typical rom-com that you have saw time and time again. I completely disagree with this sentiment and thought it was a wonderful film that had me on the edge of an emotional roller-coaster throughout.

There are some stellar performances throughout mainly from the two starts of the show Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence. Plus I think what adds to the aura this film possessed for me as I'm sure we all know people who have been impacted by mental health issues and this highlights what suffers are experiencing so really captivated me on that front.

Also as I'm sure has been mentioned in every review for this film Jennifer Lawrence looks utterly beautiful.

I really recommend that you go and see this and I feel it is worthy of the high praise that it has been receiving. :up:

8.5/10

Good review Tooj. Putting on list.

Les Mis.

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Not really a fan of musicals (and was a bit put off by the bit they played on Kermode last week), but thought this was outstanding. The performances are great (even the much-maligned Crowe is ok) but Anne Hathaway is just staggering.

That was baffling like. Almost as if it was designed to put off people who think they wouldn't enjoy a musical film by giving them something that sounded like their worst nightmare. If I didn't know Les Mis already I probably wouldn't bother going (which we really must get round to actually doing...) after hearing that. :lol:

Yeah and the clip definitely had the music removed (for whatever reason) despite their assurances to the contrary. As I've eluded to elsewhere I listen to that show more out of habit than anything else now. Certainly don't regard them as the authorities I used to, or more worryingly, they regard themselves.

Yeah and the clip definitely had the music removed (for whatever reason) despite their assurances to the contrary. As I've eluded to elsewhere I listen to that show more out of habit than anything else now. Certainly don't regard them as the authorities I used to, or more worryingly, they regard themselves.

Their catchphrase is " other opinions ARE available".

Lincoln - I hadn't heard too much about what this film was about (apart from the obvious) so I was a little surprised that it was only focused on a small (but extremely significant) part of his life. I also know a couple of you said last week that you weren't impressed so my expectations weren't that high but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes it wasn't incredibly dramatic but it was impeccably made and the acting was first class. Day Lewis completely transformed into Lincoln and it is a truly amazing performance. Tommy Lee Jones was also fantastic as ever and James Spader was a fantastic comic turn. I'm not sure it's something I'll be keen to buy on Blu Ray and watch again and again but I found it really interesting.

7 Psychopaths - After Lincoln I was expecting this to be a far lighter and comic experience and I was disappointed in that respect. I have to say though that I was a little disappointed in the overall film. I was expecting more of the comedy of In Brugge and it really didn't live up to that. There were little nuggets dotted around the film (Walken refusing to put his hands up was a particular highlight) but certainly not in the same quantity as in his previous film. Still though it was a really entertaining and more than a touch mental and perfect for a Sunday night while I waited for season 3 of Breaking Bad to download!

Their catchphrase is " other opinions ARE available".

"...but you're just wrong" is how it's often concluded. Critics should be opinionated but they've let their 'cult' status go to their heads a bit. "wittertainment" ffs.