Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Murder On The Orient Express.  Not bad but not a patch on the Sidney Lumet original.  The cast is good but Michelle Pfeiffer is the only one who really compares to the cast of the earlier film (not surprising when it included the likes of Bergman, Connery, Bacall, Finney, Perkins and Gielgud).  The fact that most will know exactly whodunnit well before it begins obviously doesn't help it, but if you've not seen a previous version you'd probably enjoy it a lot more.

You can sort of see the remake of some stuff though, in that it stands half a chance of being popular with a new generation. A period whodunit set on a train though!? He could have at least renamed it Cunts on a Train. 

I don't see the point in remaking excellent films.  Remake something that had potential but wasn't done well the first time.  Unless you can update it and bring something new, which you can't with this, it's a complete waste of time.

Mind you, the theatre was packed and they seem to be having a shed load of showings so it might be making money.

39 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

I don't see the point in remaking excellent films.  Remake something that had potential but wasn't done well the first time.  Unless you can update it and bring something new, which you can't with this, it's a complete waste of time.

Mind you, the theatre was packed and they seem to be having a shed load of showings so it might be making money.

Especially films like MoTOE where the twist is so well known that it ruins the point of the film.

Do Highlander!

Worst and pointless ones have been things like The Thing which was a stone cold classic with Carpenter at the peak of his powers . Clash of the Titans, The Wicker Man, Psycho, Rollerballl , Total Recall etc..All flops and a complete waste of time and money and basically piss takes.

42 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Think Dune would benefit from a remake with modern CGI and a shit hot director. The books are classics.

Swear I've heard stuff about it being stuck in pre-production Hell, but it's got Denis Villeneuve at the helm.

1 hour ago, Park Life said:

Worst and pointless ones have been things like The Thing which was a stone cold classic with Carpenter at the peak of his powers . Clash of the Titans, The Wicker Man, Psycho, Rollerballl , Total Recall etc..All flops and a complete waste of time and money and basically piss takes.

The Thing wasn't a remake.  The Thing with Kurt Russell is nearer a remake of The Thing From Another world from the 50's but that's really an example of how it can be done well.  Both using the same source material but in different ways.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Especially films like MoTOE where the twist is so well known that it ruins the point of the film.

Do Highlander!

Fuck off Highlander is a classic.  I fear the proposed remake will be about as good as the remake of Point Break.  They could remake any of the awful sequels though.

1 hour ago, David Kelly said:

Fuck off Highlander is a classic.  I fear the proposed remake will be about as good as the remake of Point Break.  They could remake any of the awful sequels though.

The worst parts of that film were the fight scenes and special effects. Sort them out and cast well and it's a tip top prospect for a remake. 

Tom Hardy as Macleod, Pedro Pascal as Ramirez, Dave Bautista as Kurgen, sorted.

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The worst parts of that film were the fight scenes and special effects. Sort them out and cast well and it's a tip top prospect for a remake. 

Tom Hardy as Macleod, Pedro Pascal as Ramirez, Dave Bautista as Kurgen, sorted.

Unless it has a Frenchman playing a jock and a jock playing an Egyptian with a Spanish name, I'm frankly not interested.

3 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Unless it has a Frenchman playing a jock and a jock playing an Egyptian with a Spanish name, I'm frankly not interested.

:lol:

Whatever you say Jack, you're the master race.

Edited by The Fish

Just now, The Fish said:

:lol:

Whatever you say, you're the master race.

Seriously though, Highlander took over being my favourite film for quite a bit of my teenage years.  It's dropped significantly now as I've seen better films and I can see the flaws in it, but I don't think I'd like to see a remake.  Mainly because I can't imagine anyone decent being part of it and then it would most likely fall into the Point Break category.

2 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

Seriously though, Highlander took over being my favourite film for quite a bit of my teenage years.  It's dropped significantly now as I've seen better films and I can see the flaws in it, but I don't think I'd like to see a remake.  Mainly because I can't imagine anyone decent being part of it and then it would most likely fall into the Point Break category.

See I loved it as a kid, but even then I could see the fight scenes were shit and the special effects were worse. Watching it again and it's clear that the acting is pretty terrible too. 

There's some decent actors around that could do well in the roles and we've seen with Marvel movies that you can take something a bit silly and turn it into an enjoyable movie.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

See I loved it as a kid, but even then I could see the fight scenes were shit and the special effects were worse. Watching it again and it's clear that the acting is pretty terrible too. 

There's some decent actors around that could do well in the roles and we've seen with Marvel movies that you can take something a bit silly and turn it into an enjoyable movie.

There's not a single Marvel movie that compares favourably to Highlander.

• Like 2