Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Blair Witch Project.

The marmite of films, but I personally think it was a cracking idea brilliantly executed.

Budget : $25,000

Gross revenue : $248 million est. (as of July 26, 2004)

Blair Witch Project.

The marmite of films, but I personally think it was a cracking idea brilliantly executed.

Once the hype was at fever pitch it was never going to live up to expectations for most people. But in 20 years time, anyone that hasn't heard of it will shit their pants if they catch it on TV 3 minutes in.

Blair Witch Project.

Once the hype was at fever pitch it was never going to live up to expectations for most people. But in 20 years time, anyone that hasn't heard of it will shit their pants if they catch it on TV 3 minutes in.

Plus it cost absolutely fuck all.

Anyone seen the follow-up? :razz:

Edited by alex

30 Days of Night. Reminded me a lot of The Thing (though not as good). The premise is excellent but I don't really think they delivered on it as they failed to give any sort of feeling that it took place over a whole month (other then Josh Hartnet getting a bit of stubble). That said I did really enjoy it, I liked the way the vampires were little more than animals as oppose to charismatic like Brad Pitt & Tom Cruise. It's one of the best vampire films to come out for a long time (even if the main Vampire looked like he should be singing West End Girls).

American Gangster. Excellent crime film with strong performances throughout (even if Denzil Washington's being doing the same thing for years now). The only thing I thought was lacking was a bit more backround on Washington's character. It seemed a bit wierd that all of a sudden it came out that his family were all slack jawed yokels from down south when it appeared before he was Harlem born and bred.

30 Days of Night. Reminded me a lot of The Thing (though not as good). The premise is excellent but I don't really think they delivered on it as they failed to give any sort of feeling that it took place over a whole month (other then Josh Hartnet getting a bit of stubble). That said I did really enjoy it, I liked the way the vampires were little more than animals as oppose to charismatic like Brad Pitt & Tom Cruise. It's one of the best vampire films to come out for a long time (even if the main Vampire looked like he should be singing West End Girls).

Also, once you find the best hiding place ever in the roof of that house, and all you need to do is sit it out, why the fuck would you leave?

Also, once you find the best hiding place ever in the roof of that house, and all you need to do is sit it out, why the fuck would you leave?

Yeah that is a slight flaw like. Although they probably would have run out of food in there. Personally I couldn't understand why the Vampires fed on them all straight away. If I was them I would have kept them tied up and fed on them throughout the month. Greedy bastards.

Pale rider

Pantastic ;)

Fucking awesome.

ITV4 have a western week on with 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' on tonight B)

I've got it on DVD put will still probably tune in. :lol:

No one else seen cloverfielfd then?

I've not seen it yet, but even before I do I have reservations about it's subtext. I wonder if any Americans looking at the film and comparing it with Godzilla remember that the atomic bomb and Hiroshima (which inspired Godzilla) was excessive retribution for the behaviour of Japan during WW2. Japan were the bad guys!

Cloverfield is obviously a 50's red menace inspired post 9/11 sci-fi film, but does it make it plain that they brought it on themselves? From what I've heard of the limited scope (one man and his video camera) there is no context whatsoever for the attack. Godzilla had a history, in the past sacrifices were made to placate him, but Cloverfied (by all accounts) has nothing like that, it's just a foreign monster that Americans are completely ignorant of. It sounds to me like it's a condemnation of terrorist attacks without any attempt at understanding.

A Hollywood endorsement of American foreign policy rather than a cautionary tale against rampant empire building?

I've not seen it yet, but even before I do I have reservations about it's subtext. I wonder if any Americans looking at the film and comparing it with Godzilla remember that the atomic bomb and Hiroshima (which inspired Godzilla) was excessive retribution for the behaviour of Japan during WW2. Japan were the bad guys!

Cloverfield is obviously a 50's red menace inspired post 9/11 sci-fi film, but does it make it plain that they brought it on themselves? From what I've heard of the limited scope (one man and his video camera) there is no context whatsoever for the attack. Godzilla had a history, in the past sacrifices were made to placate him, but Cloverfied (by all accounts) has nothing like that, it's just a foreign monster that Americans are completely ignorant of. It sounds to me like it's a condemnation of terrorist attacks without any attempt at understanding.

A Hollywood endorsement of American foreign policy rather than a cautionary tale against rampant empire building?

I like it when he blows things up.

I liked it when the army filled balloons with helium to carry King Kong to an island where he could fight Godzilla.

I liked it when the army filled balloons with helium to carry King Kong to an island where he could fight Godzilla.

Wonder what his roar would have been like if he inhaled it? :lol:

'For All Mankind'. Brilliant documentary about the Apollo missions with an equally good Eno soundtrack. Well worth checking out. Even if you aren't baked.