Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Agreed about the David Lynch films, Mr. McGroin - Lost highway is friggin mental!

46275[/snapback]

If you like David Lynch, you might want to hunt out some Luis Bunuel. Un Chien Andalou was a direct influence on Blue Velvet. It includes the famous scene where a woman slices through her eye with a razor.

Ouch!

Oliver Twist

Thomas Paine said "It is but seldom that our first thoughts are truly correct" but having just got back from Roman Polanski's version of Oliver Twist, I'm inclined to say I like it more than the 1948 David Lean classic.  I might change my mind on that in time but it is a brilliant film. 

Ben Kingsley is fucking brilliant!  His fagin is more wretched and more likeable than the colossus that was Alec Guiness.  He's a legend as far as I'm concerned, I mean this follows Gandhi, Don Logan (Sexy Beast), Itzhak Stern (schindlers List) and Ron Jenkins (Coronation Street).

Nancy's death had the kids in tears and Sykes' mugging had them shitting their pants (personally I thought Robert Newton was scarier but, then, I was only 8 when I saw him so he would've been).

The best indicator of quality was the shitty little teenagers behind me.  Before the film started I had to have a word about my seat not being a surfboard.  They still continued to chat on annoyingly loudly but it got less and less and we never heard a peep after 20 minutes.  If you're going to take the kids to something, make it this rather than Shark Boy and Lava Girl, they won't be dissappointed.

46277[/snapback]

Anyone else there's something a bit dodgy about Roman Polanksi directing Oliver Twist?

I finally finished watching the Aviator last night (watched the first half about two months ago).

I actually really enjoyed it (especially the senate hearing scenes) and came out of it thinking that (despite the fact that he was America's first billionare) Howard Hughes was a really unfortunate bloke and considering what he did achive while being badly afflicted with OCD he could well have done so much more if he'd received some treatment.

Watched Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves again last night.

Best film of all time.

FACT.

46586[/snapback]

Your either joking or you are on drugs.

46588[/snapback]

He's right! And that Bryan Adams ditty, best song ever, FACT.

Best film of all time.

FACT.

46586[/snapback]

46588[/snapback]

46589[/snapback]

You're either joking or you are on drugs.

Best film of all time.

FACT.

46586[/snapback]

46588[/snapback]

46589[/snapback]

Ayethankyou.

Renton, I'm not the one on drugs, all that skag is rotting your brain man. :yes

Fantastic peformances all round, even from Kevin 'Nahttinghaam' Costner. One of the best sword fights ever - no fancy thrusting/dodging/parrying, simply two men doing all they can to desperately hack the hell out of each other, which is what a sword fight would actually be like - technique goes out of the window when your life is on the line. Morgan Freeman's rallying cry near the end is giving me shivers just thinking about it. Brilliant action sequences, a rousing theme, a Sean Connery cameo out of nowhere and Alan Rickman's wonderfully evil portrayal of the sheriff is the icing on already very tasty cake.

I even love the dodgy stuff - that they walk from Dover to Nottingham via Hadrian's Wall in an afternoon, Costner's accent (he tried an English one but it was so bad the director made him stop) and what exactly were they trying to achieve by being catapaulted over that wall? How did they know the would land in the hay on the otherside? Why does Will Scarlett seem so pleased that for all he knows, he has just flung his friends to their deaths?

Absolutley fucking perfect.

Best film of all time.

FACT.

46586[/snapback]

46588[/snapback]

46589[/snapback]

Ayethankyou.

Fantastic peformances all round, even from Kevin 'Nahttinghaam' Costner. One of the best sword fights ever - no fancy thrusting/dodging/parrying, simply two men doing all they can to desperately hack the hell out of each other, which is what a sword fight would actually be like - technique goes out of the window when your life is on the line. Morgan Freeman's rallying cry near the end is giving me shivers just thinking about it. Brilliant action sequences, a rousing theme, a Sean Connery cameo out of nowhere and Alan Rickman's wonderfully evil portrayal of the sheriff is the icing on already very tasty cake.

I even love the dodgy stuff - that they walk from Dover to Nottingham via Hadrian's Wall in an afternoon, Costner's accent (he tried an English one but it was so bad the director made him stop) and what exactly were they trying to achieve by being catapaulted over that wall? How did they know the would land in the hay on the otherside? Why does Will Scarlett seem so pleased that for all he knows, he has just flung his friends to their deaths?

46680[/snapback]

Right, so you weren't joking. Personally I thought it was shit, almost unwatchable. And reading your minireview, it strikes me that you can't decide whether the film was genuinely good or just good because it was shit.

And may Brian Adams rot in hell : FACT

Saw 'Serenity' on saturday night. Liked it. Good dialogue and good fight scenes.

46667[/snapback]

Serenity was excellent, some cracking dialogue and one liners, action, fights and everything else you'd expect from Joss Whedon writing and directing.

domino - started off good but got a bit too long

into the blue - really enjoyed it actually

flightplan - not very original but passed the time

a history of violence - started off awesome but the ending was shit!

ong bak - best fight scenes ever!

Saw 'Serenity' on saturday night. Liked it. Good dialogue and good fight scenes.

46667[/snapback]

Serenity was excellent, some cracking dialogue and one liners, action, fights and everything else you'd expect from Joss Whedon writing and directing.

46692[/snapback]

Can't wait for the sequel.

46667[/snapback]

46692[/snapback]

Can't wait for the sequel.

46706[/snapback]

Has that been confirmed as i would imagine they will be depending on a certain amount of money being made before they give it the go ahead...you never know they may even go back to the original TV series that started it all and make more episodes!

Best film of all time.

FACT.

46586[/snapback]

46588[/snapback]

46589[/snapback]

Ayethankyou.

46680[/snapback]

Right, so you weren't joking. Personally I thought it was shit, almost unwatchable. And reading your minireview, it strikes me that you can't decide whether the film was genuinely good or just good because it was shit.

And may Brian Adams rot in hell : FACT

46691[/snapback]

Genuinely good but with a few daft bits that make me laugh.

Best film ever.

Robin Hood : Men in Tights

The best Robin Hood film ever. Fact.

"I challenge you to a duel" thwap

"I accept"((>CLANG<))

Mel Brooks is genius