Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

No Country For Old Men - brilliant.

Cheers 2J.

Whats good about it Alex?

The trailers dont inspire me much but its very highly rated.

I just loved it. It's a 'slow burner' if you like but I thought the tension was built superbly all the same. Tommy Lee Jones was great as the sheriff and the guy who played the hitman was excellent too. Apart from a few funny bits of dialogue it lacks the humour found in a lot of Coen Brothers films. 2J was spot on when he likened it in 'feel' to 'The Three Burials of Melquides Estrada' (sp?), if you've seen that. Depends if you like that sort of thing really as despite the body count, not a lot happens over the 2 hours or so.

Cheers 2J.

I just loved it. It's a 'slow burner' if you like but I thought the tension was built superbly all the same. Tommy Lee Jones was great as the sheriff and the guy who played the hitman was excellent too. Apart from a few funny bits of dialogue it lacks the humour found in a lot of Coen Brothers films. 2J was spot on when he likened it in 'feel' to 'The Three Burials of Melquides Estrada' (sp?), if you've seen that. Depends if you like that sort of thing really as despite the body count, not a lot happens over the 2 hours or so.

Tommy Lee Jones is in the 3 Burials as well isnt he? I thought it was above average.

Cheers 2J.

Tommy Lee Jones is in the 3 Burials as well isnt he? I thought it was above average.

He is indeed. Wrote (or co-wrote) and directed it too I think. I liked it but this was better.

Had to google who Llewelyn's lass is as I knew I recognised her. It's the school girl Renton pulls in 'Trainspotting'! Canny Texan accent like.

Had to google who Llewelyn's lass is as I knew I recognised her. It's the school girl Renton pulls in 'Trainspotting'! Canny Texan accent like.

Kelly Macdonald - I believe her name is (without imdb'ing) !

Correct-o-mundo.

I thought I'd put my thoughts on here, but it must've only been N-O...

Been struggling to write about this one. It's absoloutley fantastic, but if I say why I think so it'll put people off more than encourage them to give it a look because it would come across as pretentious wank (my write up, not the film). It's a superb thriller, for an hour and a half it's completeley engrossing and has you on the edge of your seat dying to see how it works out, but then the low key ending which takes 20 minutes after the real BIG moment will leave a lot of casual viewers disappointed. And there it is. I sound like a concieted prick because I think I get it but others won't, but I don't think for a second I "get it" and I want to watch it lots more before making any such claim.

Having come across as a cunt I might as well go the whole hog and say what I thought. This film follows many of Hitchcock's ideals, almost to perfection. Very little dialogue leaves the story to be told entirely by the camera, which it does beautifully. Not that it 's full of zooms and close ups to draw your attention like Hitchcock would have in his day, but just that it unfolds carefully but is never dull with it, it's constantly rivetting. There's no music (like The Birds) but it's a marvel that you don't need to be provided with emotion by a soundtrack, but that it's all there in the pictures. Those last twenty minutes defy the convention of thriller by questioning the thrill of murder, violence and death as an entertainment and questioning society as it is and as it was. Is society going down the pan? Has it always been this bad? Personally I couldn't determine exactly when it was set and you're provided with no indication, though the fashion suggest it's in the recent past. Is it reasonable to make a film that relies on the thrills of violence then questions them in it's coda?

I'm rambling here, but there's lots to digest.

Fuck it.

One of the most interesting films you'll see, please give it a watch. The Coens have never had the popular success that their critical acclaim deserves.

I never mentioned how funny I thought it was though.

Cheers 2J.

On the surface yes.

But in reality no.

More like 'Blood Simple'.

Cheers 2J.

On the surface yes.

But in reality no.

Yes / No to what? Haven't seen 'Blood Simple' btw.

Cheers 2J.

On the surface yes.

But in reality no.

....not like 'The Three...'

Blood Simple is th Cohen Brothers first serious film. Better than No Country imo....Although No Country is very good. Also Blood Simple is done in very textured black and white which I just know you will love.

Cheers 2J.

On the surface yes.

But in reality no.

Blood Simple is th Cohen Brothers first serious film. Better than No Country imo....Although No Country is very good. Also Blood Simple is done in very textured black and white which I just know you will love.

I know what 'Blood Simple' is you tit :D I said it had a similar 'feel' to '3 Burials...' not that it was the same. I know what you mean about it being different though. I've got 'The Man Who Wasn't There' to watch at the minute too.

Cheers 2J.

On the surface yes.

But in reality no.

Black and White??

Are you commenting on films you haven't seen again? Or is the contrast on your tv broke?

Cheers 2J.

On the surface yes.

But in reality no.

Black and White??

Are you commenting on films you haven't seen again? Or is the contrast on your tv broke?

You're right I'm getting it mixed up with the B&W they made a few years ago.

....anyway BS is my fav Cohen Brothers film...Pisses over the entire back catalogue.

It's a very dark colour in my defence..ho ho

:D Pwned.

Listen ringo when you've seen as films as me they start to flow into each other in the old heed. :D

You had the cheek to pull me up on a comparison of two films I had seen as well :icon_lol:

Cheers 2J.

On the surface yes.

But in reality no.

Black and White??

....anyway BS is my fav Cohen Brothers film...Pisses over the entire back catalogue.

No worries.

I couldn't sit through Blood Simple myself. I need to give it another shot because it was years ago that I watched it and I was only little. Looked horribly cheap in a real 80's sort of way as I recall it.

Cheers 2J.

On the surface yes.

But in reality no.

Black and White??

No worries.

I couldn't sit through Blood Simple myself. I need to give it another shot because it was years ago that I watched it and I was only little. Looked horribly cheap in a real 80's sort of way as I recall it.

It has their energy.

Give it another go Nicos I beseech you!

I'll check it out too Parky on your advice. Hope it's better than 'Raising Arizona' though.

Make sure he actually means Blood Simple though, he probably actually means The Day Of The Jackall.