Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

@trooper

Your suspicions seem to have been confirmed. I went to that festival on Saturday. They made loads of fuss about having to present the covid pass or proof of a negative test in the build up - I received emails, updates on the app and it was all over their website. But on the day we were waved though security without being checked. I don’t know if this is the case at lots of these events. Conversely, I went to see Trevor Noah at the 02 last weekend and they did ask us to present our covid pass. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Just been pfizered for the third time in one arm, and influenzaed in the other. Nails. 

Had my Pfizer booster yesterday. Got the Oxford jab first time round. Told them to piss off with the flu jab. One dead arm is enough thanks 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

I’m waiting for my joint flu/Covid booster slot…. I left the NHS at the end of August though so I’m having to wait in line with the rest of the civilians now :glare:

I left in April and was really surprised the GP record system worked. Expect an invitation a week before 6 months since your last jab (mine was in late March). 

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I left in April and was really surprised the GP record system worked. Expect an invitation a week before 6 months since your last jab (mine was in late March). 

I had my 2nd jab in February so am hoping to get the call any day :unsure:

COVID was spreading in Wuhan as early as summer 2019 – reports

Coronavirus infections were apparent in China much earlier than was initially thought, according to a report seen by the Telegraph.

Analysts from cyber security consultancy Internet 2.0 found "notable, significant and abnormal" purchases of PCR lab equipment in the second half of 2019. 

Spending in the Hubei Province on PCR equipment nearly doubled to £7.8 million in 2019 from £4 million in 2018 and £3.3 million in 2017, according to the report. 

These products are critical in tracking COVID infections. 

China's uplift in spending began as early as May 2019 – seven months before it alerted the World Health Organisation about the virus. 

In their report, experts said: "We have come to the conclusion that, based on the data analysed, it suggests the virus was highly likely to be spreading virulently in Wuhan, China, as early as the summer of 2019 and definitely by the autumn. 

"We assess with high confidence that the pandemic began much earlier than China informed the WHO about COVID-19."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ant said:

paid to get my flu jab last week, way less hassle than trying to get one through my gp

is everyone getting covid boosters then or is it just key workers/older age groups etc?

I think they're prioritising like last time? So Rupert Murdoch will be due to fly in for his unless the booster is widely available wherever he is?

9 hours ago, trooper said:

COVID was spreading in Wuhan as early as summer 2019 – reports

Coronavirus infections were apparent in China much earlier than was initially thought, according to a report seen by the Telegraph.

Analysts from cyber security consultancy Internet 2.0 found "notable, significant and abnormal" purchases of PCR lab equipment in the second half of 2019. 

Spending in the Hubei Province on PCR equipment nearly doubled to £7.8 million in 2019 from £4 million in 2018 and £3.3 million in 2017, according to the report. 

These products are critical in tracking COVID infections. 

China's uplift in spending began as early as May 2019 – seven months before it alerted the World Health Organisation about the virus. 

In their report, experts said: "We have come to the conclusion that, based on the data analysed, it suggests the virus was highly likely to be spreading virulently in Wuhan, China, as early as the summer of 2019 and definitely by the autumn. 

"We assess with high confidence that the pandemic began much earlier than China informed the WHO about COVID-19."

What’s the source? Out of interest 

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Whatever I had started on Jan 16 2020 and that was a month or so post flu jab. Was wiped out for 5 to 7 days and kept the cough for the best part of 2 weeks. 

Yeah we're all convinced we had it in December 2019 in Troops Towers we all had flu like symptoms & i had an awful cough i couldnt shift i must have drunk gallons of nasty cough medicine. Chances are it was in the country way before Boris decided to tell everyone 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

What’s the source? Out of interest 

This is an article from Feb 2021 that suggests the virus was in China & Europe in 2019 months before it was announced in Wuhan 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-circulated-europe-china-before-wuhan-outbreak-2020-12?r=US&IR=T

Edited by trooper
  • Like 1

Sorry, but that's bollocks. I alos know loads of people who reckon they had it late 2019 or early 2020, entirely retrospectively like. It doesn't fit with the data at all though. If it was so widely spread then that troops and Gemmill had it, hospital cases and deaths would have been apparent way before March. The exponential spread is easily modelled. It spread from Wuhan early 2020, most notably the Alp skiing region where it spread through Northern Italy first. It was then seeded throughout the UK by returning skìeers around half term, causing a nationwide explosion in cases, admissions, and deaths, entirely consistent with the known facts. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trooper said:

This is an article from Feb 2021 that suggests the virus was in China & Europe in 2019 months before it was announced in Wuhan 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-circulated-europe-china-before-wuhan-outbreak-2020-12?r=US&IR=T

There's no robust evidence reported in that article at all to disprove the current hypothesis. Tbf to the authors, they caveat it in the article itself. Understand the mathematics of viral spread, and you'll understand why none of this stacks up. We don't have exact dates of patient zero, but this thing wasn't circulating outside China in 2019. 

Thing is, symptoms of mild covid overlap with flu and other respiratory infections, which happen every winter. But severe covid, so that you end up in hospital, is pretty distinctive. It has classical radiographic signs. Even before the PCR test, if you have those symptoms but test negative for flu PCR, that's very likely covid. Btw, antibody tests are fairly irrelevant as they are cross sensitive to human coronaviruses which have always been present. So it seems unlikely to me it wasn't picked up by hospital doctors or PHE surveillance if it really was here much earlier, there are systems in place. 

@Renton23rd of January is when we supposedly had the UK's patient zero arrive from China. I'm saying I had something exactly a week prior to that. Is it really that unlikely that it was already in the country at least one week before we were officially able to pinpoint its arrival? Of course it isn't.

I'm not massively invested in claiming to have had it, but telling me it's simply not possible that it was here a week before the govt concedes its arrival is bollocks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

@Renton23rd of January is when we supposedly had the UK's patient zero arrive from China. I'm saying I had something exactly a week prior to that. Is it really that unlikely that it was already in the country at least one week before we were officially able to pinpoint its arrival? Of course it isn't.

I'm not massively invested in claiming to have had it, but telling me it's simply not possible that it was here a week before the govt concedes its arrival is bollocks. 

It was the same with me and my family. One week before the official outbreak I had high fever and a persistent cold, something I never had before. my wife and kids as well. I can’t prove  it either but we are rather suspicious that ut might have been covid.

Something wiped me out for a week in early December 2019....the lingering symptom was a persistent dry cough... I felt feverish when I first came down with it and I felt precisely the sane 12 months later when I actually did have Covid 19.. :cuppa:

2 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I agree with your first point, it's unlikely that the case zero patients, who incidentally attended the same graduation ceremony at York that I I did, we're the first. But imo it's literally impossible the virus was in widespread circulation before this, because we would have seen an increase in admissions and deaths much earlier than March. We would also have been able to identify super spreaders. The facts just don't bear it out, in fact iirc admissions for respiratory infection was slightly down on the mean for that time of year.

For those that think you had it earlier, can you think of who your contact was (usually it's someone close)? And if so, what their contact was?