Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

8 minutes ago, Renton said:

Depends why its spreading I guess. If it's simply more transmissible, not really an issue. If uts because it's infecting vaccinated people which Delta couldn't, not so good. 

Some graphs for you to look at here mate. What do you think ?

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-emerging-picture-from-south-africa-suggests-omicron-variant-could-be-real-cause-for-concern-12484064

18 minutes ago, trooper said:

I hope so I guess we'll start to know more in the next couple of weeks. Myself Mrs  T & the kids are all double jabbed. Myself & Mrs  T are booked in to have our boosters on December 19th at Killingworth 

we may see a bump in hospitalisations in the short to medium term if it spreads as rapidly as thought, but that will hopefully be offset by boosters, and so far it doesn't appear to be more dangerous than delta. again, this is the typical trajectory of a virus - they generally become more transmissible but weaker as they mutate.

what this does underscore is the pandemic won't completely go away until the whole world is vaccinated. it's no good for countries in the west like us to be mostly double jabbed with boosters if new mutations out of the developing world are going to piss on everybody's chips every few months. 

20 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Basically that article said "it's too early to say but I'm gonna be a bit sensationalist for clicks". 

The bit that we all need to know, we don't know yet. 

:lol: 100% this. I saw the same article on Sky news on my phone and 2 stories down was the “it’s nothing to worry about story”.

Shameless stuff

8 minutes ago, Ant said:

He 100% belts out you got the touch as his karaoke choice

The film was basically a vehicle to kill the old line of transformers and persuade parents to buy their children the new ones. But it remains one of the great kids cartoon films of all time. Orson Welles voices Unicron ffs.

I  watched it with my son a few years back in a bid to get him into transformers - it’s still awesome. 

42 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

we may see a bump in hospitalisations in the short to medium term if it spreads as rapidly as thought, but that will hopefully be offset by boosters, and so far it doesn't appear to be more dangerous than delta. again, this is the typical trajectory of a virus - they generally become more transmissible but weaker as they mutate.

what this does underscore is the pandemic won't completely go away until the whole world is vaccinated. it's no good for countries in the west like us to be mostly double jabbed with boosters if new mutations out of the developing world are going to piss on everybody's chips every few months. 

Well you're contradicting yourself a bit there. If the trajectory is for the virus to become more transmissible but less more clinically benign through repeated mutations, why do we need to vaccinate the whole world? I think it's a desirable thing to do, but in reality because of logistics I can see only those at most risk being vaccinated in developed countries. 

I think the premise is right though. Coronaviruses are nothing new, about 3 or 4 strains have been around for centuries and are one of the causes of "common cold". Rhinoviruses, adenoviruses, and mild strains of influenzae are some of the other causes. This will just become another in time, I don't know how long that will take though, perhaps a generation. And it will happen again. 

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You were too busy down Games Workshop with your army of Orcs and goblins.

Games Workshop was late on the scene, there were a scattered few independents before them. My brother bought the original D&D handbook by Gary Gigax in 1978 I think. But like most, I grew out of it by the time I discovered booze and girls, unlike some.  

Edited by Renton

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

Well you're contradicting yourself a bit there. If the trajectory is for the virus to become more transmissible but less more clinically benign through repeated mutations, why do we need to vaccinate the whole world? I think it's a desirable thing to do, but in reality because of logistics I can see only those at most risk being vaccinated in developed countries. 

I think the premise is right though. Coronaviruses are nothing new, about 3 or 4 strains have been around for centuries and are one of the causes of "common cold". Rhinoviruses, adenoviruses, and mild strains of influenzae are some of the other causes. This will just become another in time, I don't know how long that will take though, perhaps a generation. And it will happen again. 

what i'm saying is that's generally the direction of travel but it's not an exact science, right?

as long as a majority of people in the developing world remain unvaccinated, there remains a danger of something more unpleasant emerging, even if the chances of this happening diminish. so we're heading in the right direction, but it's desirable to vaccinate people across the world, and not just in our own back yard 

Edited by Dr Gloom

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Games Workshop was late on the scene, there were a scattered few independents before them. My brother bought the original D&D handbook by Gary Gigax in 1978 I think. But like most, I grew out of it by the time I discovered booze and girls, unlike some.  

Renton settling in for a Friday night in with the lads 

image.png.feaf9bd4c5ca896e73f1047963daf046.png

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

what i'm saying is that's generally the direction of travel but it's not an exact science, right?

as long as a majority of people in the developing world remain unvaccinated, there remains a danger of something more unpleasant emerging, even the chances of this happen diminish. so even though we're heading in the right direction, it's desirable to vaccinate people across the world, not just in our own back yard 

Naah, you're doing it again. The evolutionary driving force is for the virus to increase transmissibility whilst causing less morbidity. The greater the potential for mutations, the faster this process will be. Note I'm not advocating not vaccinating against a potentially deadly virus. Just realising that mass vaccination of the whole planet isn't really possible. Fortunately in many developing countries the demographics are very young. 

Omicron either as transmissible as Delta, or less so - expert

Early data indicates the Omicron variant is similar to Delta in terms of transmissibility, or perhaps even less contagious, a South African expert has said.

However, it is able to cause a rapid increase in infections because it is more able to reinfect those who have already had COVID, Professor Anne von Gottberg said.

"I think in this case, this virus might be as transmissible," she told the news briefing. 

"It could be similar or slightly less than Delta in being able to be contagious...

"However, it's the susceptibility of the population that is greater now because previous infection used to protect against Delta." 

• Like 1

Just now, Renton said:

Naah, you're doing it again. The evolutionary driving force is for the virus to increase transmissibility whilst causing less morbidity. The greater the potential for mutations, the faster this process will be. Note I'm not advocating not vaccinating against a potentially deadly virus. Just realising that mass vaccination of the whole planet isn't really possible. Fortunately in many developing countries the demographics are very young. 

the current mutation appears based on the limited data so far to be less deadly than delta, which itself was no more deadly than previous strains - this is positive. does that mean we can say with confidence that there isn't still a chance that something more unpleasant might mutate out of parts of the world which are largely unvaccinated? you are clearly better informed on this than i am. happy days if so