Coronavirus

Anorthernsoul

There might be a grey area. I remember something about it at the time too. By grey area I mean it’s not a normal bloke on the street, so to speak. And there were public announcements at the time suggesting he was on a ventilator iirc. So the FOI might be asking confirmation that what the public was being briefed about the PM’s condition at the time was accurate. I don’t know, I’m just guessing. 
As an aside, ministers are very keen on investigating ways in which AI could be used to streamline the civil service. However, when there was a suggestion that AI could potentially be used to answer FOI requests in a matter of seconds, they weren’t quite so on board with the idea. 

Edited by Alex

16 hours ago, Alex said:

There might be a grey area. I remember something about it at the time too. By grey area I mean it’s not a normal bloke on the street, so to speak. And there were public announcements at the time suggesting he was on a ventilator iirc. So the FOI might be asking confirmation that what the public was being briefed about the PM’s condition at the time was accurate. I don’t know, I’m just guessing. 
As an aside, ministers are very keen on investigating ways in which AI could be used to streamline the civil service. However, when there was a suggestion that AI could potentially be used to answer FOI requests in a matter of seconds, they weren’t quite so on board with the idea. 

"Hello Mr Smith. It appears you've underpaid your taxes for last year. We'll be right round."

terminator GIF

• Haha 2

The only reason it wasn’t overwhelmed is because the people in care homes were left to die. And the only reason they took that decision is because they thought it wouldn’t look as bad on the news. I.e. the lack of access rather than similar pictures to what we saw in Italy, for example. And like NJS has said, there’ll be no accountability 

• 3 weeks later...

I should stop following this enquiry, not good for my health listening to how these cunts completely fucked everything up and will face no real consequences. Listewn to this welsh uber cunt Guto Harri.

To some degree I think Vallance and the rests' jobs were to explain the science to the public so it is some form of failure not to be able to explain things to the politicians. Of course the public are generally illiterate so that job is a tough one. 

It does confirm what I've always said about the way private education is very narrow and focused to the point where someone can get a degree at Oxford which is a passport to anything despite being very narrowly educated and being generous lacking in basic skills in other fields. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, NJS said:

To some degree I think Vallance and the rests' jobs were to explain the science to the public so it is some form of failure not to be able to explain things to the politicians. Of course the public are generally illiterate so that job is a tough one. 

It does confirm what I've always said about the way private education is very narrow and focused to the point where someone can get a degree at Oxford which is a passport to anything despite being very narrowly educated and being generous lacking in basic skills in other fields. 

Thing is, the science was not hard. Exponential growth. Literally every adult without learning disabilities should be able to grasp this means you lockdown as soon as possible which not only minimises deaths, but also greatly reduces healthcare disruption and reduces the length of lockdown, so is economically beneficial too. It was a no brainer. We on this thread got it, look back if you want. Johnson and Sunak couldn't grasp it. Sunak said "ignore the scientists". Hard to blamne Whitty or Vallance for that. It is all on them. 

Remember October/November 2020, when Starmer was asking for a circuit breaker, only for Johnson to mock him for cancelling Xmas? Then what happens, we lock down for 5 months including Xmas anyway, and the extra spread of the virus causes it to mutate to omicron, killing literally >100,000 people? And during this time these cunts were partrying in Downing street whilst people couldn't say goodbye to their loved ones. It's unforgivable. 

They should be in prison, I really mean that. Nowt will happen. 

• Like 4

Of course it was exacerbated by their personality traits - Johnson's arrogance and Sunak's sociopathic love of money typical of the rich. 

If Johnson was too thick/arrogant to understand but Sunak who was a banker did understand and still pretended not to, that actually makes him worse and more culpable than Johnson. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Wife started watching I'm a celebrity, I cannot be in the room because of that cunt Farage being on it.

Soon as you're out of the room she's watching Callum Wilson on repeat. 

dam roosevelt GIF

🙂 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I admire Carl Heneghan's work prior to covid, and he raises some very good points about the enquiry here. But he also comes across as a bit bitter, he's very much a generalist, and when you're allying yourself to the likes of Julia Hartley-Brewer and writing for the Spectator it suggests to me you are half way down the rabbit hole. 

Still, the Swedish data is interesting and is worth looking at. They didn't formally lock down in 2020 in the same way as everyone else and had by far the most deaths of any nordic country in that year. But in the following years, other countries have caught up and Sweden overall has the lowest excess deaths rate in Europe - much better than ours. But then they are not a densely populated country with a healthcare system that routinely is above capacity even without a pandemic. I think their policy would have been disastrous here (i.e. even worse than it already was). 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

I admire Carl Heneghan's work prior to covid, and he raises some very good points about the enquiry here. But he also comes across as a bit bitter, he's very much a generalist, and when you're allying yourself to the likes of Julia Hartley-Brewer and writing for the Spectator it suggests to me you are half way down the rabbit hole. 

Still, the Swedish data is interesting and is worth looking at. They didn't formally lock down in 2020 in the same way as everyone else and had by far the most deaths of any nordic country in that year. But in the following years, other countries have caught up and Sweden overall has the lowest excess deaths rate in Europe - much better than ours. But then they are not a densely populated country with a healthcare system that routinely is above capacity even without a pandemic. I think their policy would have been disastrous here (i.e. even worse than it already was). 

Yeh I would agree.  Early on I started following him, but when he was on her show all the time I stopped.

I do have the odd look at his X every now and then.  He has some interesting stuff on our excess deaths now.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been semi-following this enquiry. I'm fairly sure early March I and others states we needed to lockdown ASAP as it was clear the infection was seeded and its growth is exponential. Hancock yesterday admitted if we had locked down in early March it would have saved 90% of lives in the first wave. However, he said that required hindsight. It didn't though, we knew it at the time on here. Half tempted to senf the enquiry a link to this thread. More wisdom on here than in the entire governmental apparatus. 

• Like 2

A lot of businesses like ours did "lockdown" earlier by introducing working from home a couple of weeks before the cunts got their act together. 

(Again grateful it was possible  to WFH). 

• Like 1