30 years ago today

Craig

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Mad. 30 years. I remember going to the phonebox (we didn't have a phone on. Tje house) to phone my uncle to see if it was true. 

My Dad picked me up from school, said nothing, just threw the Chronicle in my lap with the headline on it.

• Like 3

I remember listening to his first game in charge on the radio. Can’t remember who it was against but we won by a few and can still remember the chants of “keegan, keegan, keegan” coming from the ground. I was only a young un but it felt a bit like it does today. Like a new era even though we were in a shit position in the league. 

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I remember listening to his first game in charge on the radio. Can’t remember who it was against but we won by a few and can still remember the chants of “keegan, keegan, keegan” coming from the ground. I was only a young un but it felt a bit like it does today. Like a new era even though we were in a shit position in the league. 

Bristol City. Won 3-0. I was there and it was the best atmosphere I'd known to date at that time. Massively superseded by the small matter of a match some 2½ months later against Pompey.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Mad. 30 years. I remember going to the phonebox (we didn't have a phone on. Tje house) to phone my uncle to see if it was true. 

:lol: 

Did you live in a shoebox in t‘middle of t’road? 

• Haha 5

I was at school and someone told me KK had come back as manager. I didn’t believe them at first then got really fucking excited when I realised they were serious. The only thing I can compare it to is when he arrived as a player and me and my dad were in the car when it was announced on the radio and he had to pull over because he couldn’t concentrate on driving :lol: there’s something magic about the bloke 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol: 

Did you live in a shoebox in t‘middle of t’road? 

:lol: Used to have to get up at 6 o clock in the morning and lick t’road clean with his tongue

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was at school and someone told me KK had come back as manager. I didn’t believe them at first then got really fucking excited when I realised they were serious. The only thing I can compare it to is when he arrived as a player and me and my dad were in the car when it was announced on the radio and he had to pull over because he couldn’t concentrate on driving :lol: there’s something magic about the bloke 

He should be brought in as an ambassador/transfer consultant - just to sell the club to potential signings. His enthusiasm and optimism is still infectious watching those old interviews back today 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think there's a mutual affiliation between him and the club. Surprised he hasn't come back in some form of ambassadorial capacity tbh. Mad to think he'll be 71 in a few days time. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Alex said:

You were at school?? ... thought you were a bit older than that :whistling:

Think I was working in Edinburgh , got the train down to the Bristol City game...nearly got nicked at Central Station for what could be loosely termed "drunken exuberance" after the game. Got home, discovered I'd left my wallet on the train. Phoned up immediately to cancel debit card, but dear old TSB couldn't manage to do it till the following mid week, giving an individual in the Falkirk area the opportunity to make several trips to the off licence and tuck into what would appear to be an unfeasibly large Chinese takeaway  :lol:

• Haha 5

I was 18 but still doing a shit YTS job in Newburn. Heard it on the radio when we were having our dinner and remember being a bit gutted as I thought it would be a real shame if Keegan was the man who took us down to third division for the first time in the club's history. Oh ye of little faith! :lol: Was actually in the Milburn stand for the Bristol City game and wished I was in the Gallowgate end but I'd foolishly bought a ST when I'd been given £200 by my granny. I used to sell it to the manager of the Wolsy in walkergate half the time and either use it to stay on the piss, (I was skint) or use it for a couple of pints then try to get in the 'juvenile' turnstiles of the corner with other chancers who would have full grown taches and beer guts. :lol:

• Haha 5

46 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

You were at school?? ... thought you were a bit older than that :whistling:

Think I was working in Edinburgh , got the train down to the Bristol City game...nearly got nicked at Central Station for what could be loosely termed "drunken exuberance" after the game. Got home, discovered I'd left my wallet on the train. Phoned up immediately to cancel debit card, but dear old TSB couldn't manage to do it till the following mid week, giving an individual in the Falkirk area the opportunity to make several trips to the off licence and tuck into what would appear to be an unfeasibly large Chinese takeaway  :lol:

I was 17, in lower 6th. Rest assured I am nearly as old as you ;) 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was 17, in lower 6th. Rest assured I am nearly as old as you ;) 

old git. i always thought you were about my age. i must have only been about 12 at the time 

I was at Uni, if I'm honest I was only an occasional match goer then and didn't really take notice until the next season when we pissed the league. Only met Keegan once, when he opened the children's cancer research wing at the RVI, maybe 94 or 95. He ran in (apparently had come straight from the gound), delivered an amazing off the cuff speech, shook some hands including mine (was doing a PhD at the RVI bu that time), and ran out again, back to SJP.

I remember being blown over by his enthusiasm, optimism, charisma, and energy. Never known anything like it. And of course it personified by his team on the pitch. Its a crying shame he missed out on a trophy for us, he and we really deserved it. Almost all fans would have been happy for us (bar mackem twats and ManU). But at least we experienced it, most of us when we were still relatively young ourselves too. I do think that, even if we become as good as Man City and win everything, it won't top those few magic years. Not for me, anyway. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

I was at Uni, if I'm honest I was only an occasional match goer then and didn't really take notice until the next season when we pissed the league. Only met Keegan once, when he opened the children's cancer research wing at the RVI, maybe 94 or 95. He ran in (apparently had come straight from the gound), delivered an amazing off the cuff speech, shook some hands including mine (was doing a PhD at the RVI bu that time), and ran out again, back to SJP.

I remember being blown over by his enthusiasm, optimism, charisma, and energy. Never known anything like it. And of course it personified by his team on the pitch. Its a crying shame he missed out on a trophy for us, he and we really deserved it. Almost all fans would have been happy for us (bar mackem twats and ManU). But at least we experienced it, most of us when we were still relatively young ourselves too. I do think that, even if we become as good as Man City and win everything, it won't top those few magic years. Not for me, anyway. 

aye, the town was buzzing in those years, and i was a teenager, plus you had brilliant british guitar and electronic music and later the labour government. good time to be alive 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renton said:

No other NUFC fan age group other than maybe those ten years older could've picked a better time to support us in my opinion. Ten years older would've been still young lads on the piss when Beardsley, Waddle, Terry Mac and KK were ripping it up and I'm a bit jealous of them but we still got the phenomenal football of KK, the transformation of shit to sublime, the terraces and of course the days/nights on the piss in our youth in the 90s in a buzzing town. Even NUFC fans who saw us win stuff would've lived in more austere times away from SJP. I feel sorry for the young'uns who missed out. My favourite time of supporting us without any shadow of a doubt was 92-93 promotion season and the 93-94 finishing 3rd in the shiny new PL. Talking to other fans and them saying we'd be ok to stay up and laughing in their faces before we went on to beat them was a fond memory, (Villa fans standing out for this). :lol:

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 6