Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, Dazzler said:

Incredible how nobs come out of the woodwork during transfer windows. Sean Casey will be along shortly with his "as I said" bullshit.

I had a look over his X feed last night. He reckons KP is a done deal. That wasn’t the most shocking thing though. He charges £300 for a podcast appearance. 

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I had a look over his X feed last night. He reckons KP is a done deal. That wasn’t the most shocking thing though. He charges £300 for a podcast appearance. 

I swear the kid is a parody account and has just gone too deep down the rabbit hole.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holden McGroin said:

Also charges £5 for a handjob... so a friend tells me

Edited by RobElliott
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Holden McGroin said:

I had a look over his X feed last night. He reckons KP is a done deal. That wasn’t the most shocking thing though. He pays £300 to appear on a podcast. 

fyp

• Haha 2

An awful lot of talk about someone activating Bruno's release clause in Jan, namely PSG. Howe has said no in his presser, and he wants to keep him here but the rumours are we're secretly open to it as it'll allow us a lot more freedom to strengthen the squad.

Bruno has been one of the most important signings since the takeover along with trippier and Botman and arguably our most important player because we don’t win games when he doesn’t start. He was a steal at £35m. £100m would give us the FFP headroom to do a Villa style rebuild after they sold Grealish but it would leave a huge hole to fill. You don’t tend to get players of Bruno’s quality for the price we paid for him. I hope he stays and they’re able to use crafty commercial deals to increase the transfer budget instead of selling our star player 

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I thought it couldn’t be activated until the summer?

I hope that's the case because like Gloomy said he's so important for us 

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I hope that's the case because like Gloomy said he's so important for us 

having said I think we would just accept the £100m now anyway, especially if we go out the FA Cup in Jan.

Edited by Holden McGroin
  • Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 17:30, ewerk said:

That’s exactly my point. £7m for a player who could play in a maximum of 17 league games for us if we signed him today is too high, especially when we don’t know how long it will take him to get to full fitness.

I agree with this. But if there was an obligation to buy then the fee could be reduced.

As some have said if he isn’t fit. He will take a couple of weeks to get fit. At which point we have players coming back.

I think we should avoid this one personally.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

having said I think we would just accept the £100m now anyway, especially if we go out the FA Cup in Jan.

I don’t think we should. He’s a player you can build a team around. I know we need the money to reinvest. But we have players coming back to fitness soon.

Selling Bruno would not go down to well.

I think we are safe with him for now.

• Like 2

Between the £25mil per season SELA deal, £15mil CL money, £160mil TV/4th place money, £30mil a season coming from the new Adidas deal, £7.5mil a season from Noon.com, I struggle to believe there is zero wiggle room with FFP for new players. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

I don’t think we should. He’s a player you can build a team around. I know we need the money to reinvest. But we have players coming back to fitness soon.

Selling Bruno would not go down to well.

I think we are safe with him for now.

I wouldn’t sell him at all but he has requested this clause and the club have accepted it. It’s also been made public. It looks like the absolute best we can do is europa/conference (might end up with none as well) so when a CL club comes calling and pays up I think he’ll be gone.

• Like 1

Rather them than an English club I suppose. I’d hate to see him leave but FFP is the reason I think he’ll go if the bid comes in. In fact, if it’s right it can’t be activated until the summer then they might even bid more than that to jump in now if they really want him. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Between the £25mil per season SELA deal, £15mil CL money, £160mil TV/4th place money, £30mil a season coming from the new Adidas deal, £7.5mil a season from Noon.com, I struggle to believe there is zero wiggle room with FFP for new players. 

Not sure it’s the case there isn’t any wriggle room. Rather that because of FFP and the fact anything we do will be scrutinised more than at any other club, it’s the case that spending a lot in January impacts what we can do next summer. And the latter is definitely the best time to do business. Those in charge will be looking at it long term. It’s not a great state of affairs in terms of form etc. but the worst that’ll happen (you’d imagine) is a lower mid-table finish. It’s not like that first window when we were staring down the barrel of relegation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Not sure it’s the case there isn’t any wriggle room. Rather that because of FFP and the fact anything we do will be scrutinised more than at any other club, it’s the case that spending a lot in January impacts what we can do next summer. And the latter is definitely the best time to do business. Those in charge will be looking at it long term. It’s not a great state of affairs in terms of form etc. but the worst that’ll happen (you’d imagine) is a lower mid-table finish. It’s not like that first window when we were staring down the barrel of relegation. 

As people have said previously, the club just needs to follow the suit of Arsenal and Man Utd.

"St James Park sponsored by Saudi Air". A sponsored pre-season trip to the Gulf. A couple of loans from the Saudi league in key positions.

I wouldn't be selling our best player unless absolutely necessary. Tonali might be good, but I'm yet to be convinced he's Bruno's successor 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

As people have said previously, the club just needs to follow the suit of Arsenal and Man Utd.

"St James Park sponsored by Saudi Air". A sponsored pre-season trip to the Gulf. A couple of loans from the Saudi league in key positions.

I wouldn't be selling our best player unless absolutely necessary. Tonali might be good, but I'm yet to be convinced he's Bruno's successor 

I do get all that and don’t disagree really. It was more the rationale behind why I think they won’t spend a lot in January. I thought that’s what you were getting at, ie signing players as opposed to not selling Bruno. 
Re: selling him, I think they might decide to do it because it’s frees up loads of spending power in the summer. Because those coming in, if I understand it right, would have their fees etc. spread over their contract lengths (up to 5 years or whatever it is). Whereas the Bruno money is all factored into one year. 
All conjecture of course. And from a purely football pov, I 100% agree that keeping Bruno is the right thing to do. 

I don’t think he can play as a 9 by himself and we don’t play 10s so i suspect we’d go nowhere near him.

loans are a bit of gamble with Howe as it normally takes them ages to grips with how we play.

Edited by Holden McGroin
I

10 hours ago, Dazzler said:

An awful lot of talk about someone activating Bruno's release clause in Jan, namely PSG. Howe has said no in his presser, and he wants to keep him here but the rumours are we're secretly open to it as it'll allow us a lot more freedom to strengthen the squad.

Would he not be cup tied for the CL? 

6 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Would he not be cup tied for the CL? 

Yes he would be. And they will win the French league easy.

Bruno will stay till at least the summer.

This is when I fully expect some decent commercial deals to land. And a lot of the deadwood will leave as contracts expire.

Giving us some more wiggle room.

Getting players back like Willock and Barnes will feel like new signings.