Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 minute ago, Polarboy said:

I'd normally assume that as well, but wasn't Graeme Bailey, the co-writer of the article, pretty bang on in the January window?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Here’s Craig, NH2CONH2ing on everyone’s chips. :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I've love it to come to pass. But'll it'll be more luck than good judgement on the part of 90minutes if it does.

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Again this is off the top of my head, but wasn't it 90mins that pretty much broke the Ekitike story? If nothing else perhaps they have some sort of inside track on that. Of course they may just be assuming that we will go back in for players that we already have on loan or we tried to get in January. The most interesting part of the story is the initial loan with an obligation to buy for Ekitike detail. Again that would be a shrewd move in terms of maximising our budget, should it be true. 

2 hours ago, Polarboy said:

I've only read this page, so apologies if this has been mentioned, but 90minutes are saying we're close to signing the young French lad Ekitike from Reims, on a loan with an obligation to buy season after next, plus we plan to  bring Targett on a perm for 15m which is hardly a surprise, and Lingard on a free. If we could get those three for an outlay of 15m on transfer fees for the 2022/23 summer transfer window, we'd be off to an incredible start. The room that getting Lingard and Ekitike in on a free and initial loan respectively could give us, could be crucial in terms of getting the big money centre half and centre forward in that we're also looking to get. Newcastle transfers: Hugo Ekitike, Matt Targett & Jesse Lingard headline summer plans (90min.com)

Edit. Of course Ekitike is a striker as well, but I'd be surprised if we put all our eggs in his basket given he'll only have turned 20, and not even played a full senior season in France in terms of apps by the time we sign him. Which is likely why, if the article is accurate, we are trying to get him in on an initial season loan. 

You raise a really good point here in terms of FFP, it might have already been mentioned before but I think the point about essentially kicking the can down the road with the fee for Ekitike makes a lot of other moves the new owners have made make sense.

During January there was constant talk about our lot wanting long term clauses instead of certain payments, which would (I imagine) defer the money for FFP purposes allowing us to bring players in now despite our prior 3 years being absolutely dog shit from a commercial revenue standpoint (fanks Mike), into future periods where using those players we could be involved in European competition and have had time to put proper sponsors in place.

With that in mind the 60M amount may not be far off, but if we were to clear a lot of the dead wood (perhaps some get fees) that would increase the 60M allowable, and then with some future clauses instead of cash up front - you imagine the "real" spend could easily be well over 100M.

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

Tavernier

94 matches, 34 goals and 32 assists in the last 2 season.

340 matches, 80 goals and 106 assists since he joined Rangers.

I would like to see in Premier League next year and he could be a good choice to be the reserve of Trippier.

I have to say that when he was our academy player and he played very little, it seemed to me that he could have a future.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, safcforever said:

This will be huge, get a big named striker in early and the rest will

pay attention. 

Man City signing Robinho changed their whole transfer strategy. That’s the sort of signing you need early 

Mag behaviour. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, safcforever said:

This will be huge, get a big named striker in early and the rest will

pay attention. 

Man City signing Robinho changed their whole transfer strategy. That’s the sort of signing you need early 

I suppose that you know it, but there is an anecdote in that signing. I don't know how it was reported in England, but here it was given a lot of coverage because Robinho was leaving Real Madrid and here the press is 99% Real Madrid and 1% other teams.

The fact is that Robinho landed in Manchester, they went to introduce him... he entered the stadium... and he realized that he didn't know anything about the shield or anything out there. Until they told him that he was signing for Manchester City… he thought he was going to sign for Chelsea!

• Haha 2

Gabriel Jesús, Morata, Belotti, Mousa Dembelé, Icardi, Jovic, Maxi Gómez, Lacazette, Lukaku, Depay, Milik, Origi ... All of them will be in the market next summer. And if Everton get relegated, Richarlison and DCL too. 

I like anothers interesting like Jonathan David, Iheanacho, Gouiri (is not a striker, more like second striker similar to David Villa)

28 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Tavernier

94 matches, 34 goals and 32 assists in the last 2 season.

340 matches, 80 goals and 106 assists since he joined Rangers.

I would like to see in Premier League next year and he could be a good choice to be the reserve of Trippier.

I have to say that when he was our academy player and he played very little, it seemed to me that he could have a future.

The same Tavenier that couldn't even make it at the Pies? 

30 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Schar signed new 2 year deal, it’s like a new signing.

Good move

Without TOT alongside him he’s looking decent.Big Dan will have played no small part in his improvement.

.We’re a lot more balanced with two left footers in defence (Targett and Big Dan) and with another left footed player in midfield of equal quality I’d be more than happy.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season