Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

2 hours ago, Nefilim said:

I don't care if you think I'm boring.

It's an objective observation, Buzz Killington.

Hard to imagine that a midfielder won’t even come in on loan but if hands are tied that badly, then it’s clearly best to wait until the summer. Says it all that Villa have made a bomb in player sales and now are being punished for buying well and competing at the top table. Everything working as intended 

• Like 2

Wor Miggy is staying.  We aren't buying or loaning anyone.

Bruno suspension v Luton and Forest, we will be reet.  Willock and co not far off coming back.  Keep our powder dry for summer.

• Like 1

:spit:

“It wasn't possible to do any January deals. We didn't have capacity to improve the team in the way that we think we want to improve it. So we decided not to do something yet. We have one of the thinnest squads in the league, that's for sure.”

Arteta

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, ohhh_yeah said:

“It wasn't possible to do any January deals. We didn't have capacity to improve the team in the way that we think we want to improve it. So we decided not to do something yet. We have one of the thinnest squads in the league, that's for sure.”

Arteta

He’s got one of the thinnest skins in the league 

• Haha 8

The current situation re FFP is plainly ludicrous, with us and Villa now fucking hamstrung on spending. 

I would assume both clubs are making noises behind the scenes, and that changes can be made to address this. You'd hope there would be a majority of teams in the PL looking to put this right, and at the very least change the amounts in question. 

I'm assuming we're grafting privately at present but will eventually start to hear the likes of Eales making disapproving noises publicly if it doesn't get anywhere. 

Clubs are being locked out of progressing, it's fucking ridiculous. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ohhh_yeah said:

Arteta

And that will become the official narrative now. Poor little Arsenal couldn't improve their wafer thin squad. Bless them. All the while the same people will question Howe's future when largely the same 11 that has played every minute of every game for the last two months turns out against Villa tonight (and especially if we get beat)

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

The current situation re FFP is plainly ludicrous, with us and Villa now fucking hamstrung on spending. 

I would assume both clubs are making noises behind the scenes, and that changes can be made to address this. You'd hope there would be a majority of teams in the PL looking to put this right, and at the very least change the amounts in question. 

I'm assuming we're grafting privately at present but will eventually start to hear the likes of Eales making disapproving noises publicly if it doesn't get anywhere. 

It was the same with Leicester too - they did the impossible and were penalised for it, and now find themselves in the championship. Anyone outside of the big 6 that dares try to compete will be handled swiftly. That said, I hope the changes only address our inability to compete - fuck Villa, fuck their fans and fuck Count 'first of all good ebening' Dracula.

• Like 2

It doesn't even have to be entirely scrapping PSR, just retooling it to better fit it's remit. 

Stop allowing clubs to spend beyond their means, for sure a club should be protected from bad owners. And we should prevent the megarich clubs from spending without some kind of limit, for the sake of sporting integrity. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

If something is negotiated you can be sure it will be done in a way to keep the established elite at the top.

An increase in the amount you can spend as a percentage of turnover so the “big six” can spend an extra £50m or so and the rest of us it’s about half that amount.  

33 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Like I said before.  Imagine this out of football?  It's pretty much illegal.  'Oh yes Mr Smith, your corner shop can only invest twenty quid for more stuff as ASDA aren't happy with you being close to them'

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

It was the same with Leicester too - they did the impossible and were penalised for it, and now find themselves in the championship. Anyone outside of the big 6 that dares try to compete will be handled swiftly. That said, I hope the changes only address our inability to compete - fuck Villa, fuck their fans and fuck Count 'first of all good ebening' Dracula.

I mean they did buy Söyüncü so deserve to go down just on that.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

If something is negotiated you can be sure it will be done in a way to keep the established elite at the top.

An increase in the amount you can spend as a percentage of turnover so the “big six” can spend an extra £50m or so and the rest of us it’s about half that amount.  

That would still help close the gap though and increase competition across the league. Look at how the big 6 spend £50m vs how teams like Brighton spends £25m - Usually the big 6 are spending £50m on one of several players Brighton spent a grand total of £25m on.

I think we're far too gone to usurp the 'elite' with a change of rules, but they can be amended to make the league more competitive and allow those with successful and ambitious business models (like us, Brighton and Villa - as an example) invest at a realistic level to try sustainably compete for trophies.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

What about a spend cap? Like £120m, say. 

Would mean the top clubs can buy 1 or 2 toptoptoptoptop players, but the lower teams have the freedom to fill out their squad more. Would prevent a club like Chelsea spending more in 1 window that others have over 5 years, but would allow clubs like Villa, Everton, Nottingham Forest and ourselves could keep things competitive. 

Coupled with a rolling 3yr limit of £360m loss allowance?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

That would still help close the gap though and increase competition across the league. Look at how the big 6 spend £50m vs how teams like Brighton spends £25m - Usually the big 6 are spending £50m on one of several players Brighton spent a grand total of £25m on.

I think we're far too gone to usurp the 'elite' with a change of rules, but they can be amended to make the league more competitive and allow those with successful and ambitious business models (like us, Brighton and Villa - as an example) invest at a realistic level to try sustainably compete for trophies.

That must have hurt :smile:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RobinRobin said:

That must have hurt :smile:

I pulled out three fingernails as punishment, but fair is fair and it had to be said.

• Haha 1