Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

It’s not necessarily tough as we’ve seen with Trippier, Botman, Pope, Burn, Target and Bruno.

Hopefully we can pick up a couple of loans in the last week.

Quality attacking players are much more expensive and difficult to get though. Bruno is perhaps the exception, but most people expected him to play in a more defensive role when he came in, given that's where he played for Lyon. It just so happened that he has incredible versatility. 

41 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Moving up to the next rung of the quality ladder is going to be tough, but I'd rather we were patient and only spent money on quality with potential, as opposed to the Everton etc approach of overpaying for players who are the shortsighted flavour of the week at the time they were signed. 40m for the Icelandic nonce for example. If we overpay now we could very easily miss the opportunity to spend money on real quality later if we max out our FFP. 

Definitely feels like we’re heading towards a couple of loan signings. Not a bad idea given where we are now 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Definitely feels like we’re heading towards a couple of loan signings. Not a bad idea given where we are now 

I still think we'll make one permanent signing. We seem to have a few different irons in the fire, and we still have a couple of weeks left. I think Ideally PIF will want at least one more big name signing this window. If we were willing to spend 45m on Maddison presumably that money is still burning a hole in our back pockets for the right player. 

The loans are an excellent move for the time being, and there's always the possibility to buy with these sorts of things. It seems a perfect stepping stone solution for the season to aim to loan a few, continue to progress, and take to the market next season to chase permanent transfers for attacking players. We could be a much more attractive prospect than we are now in 12 more months. Not that we aren't now, but as has been said, there appears to be a bit of a gulf between where we are currently and the tier of front-third attacking players we're attempting to attract to come this window. If some of those we've been in for this window see us performing well in the league, then they may also push harder for a move come this time next season.

Personally, I'm loving this window. The fact we're even in the conversation for players that PSG and AC Milan and the like are chasing is something very strange to get used to.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, toonotl said:

The loans are an excellent move for the time being, and there's always the possibility to buy with these sorts of things. It seems a perfect stepping stone solution for the season to aim to loan a few, continue to progress, and take to the market next season to chase permanent transfers for attacking players. We could be a much more attractive prospect than we are now in 12 more months. Not that we aren't now, but as has been said, there appears to be a bit of a gulf between where we are currently and the tier of front-third attacking players we're attempting to attract to come this window. If some of those we've been in for this window see us performing well in the league, then they may also push harder for a move come this time next season.

Personally, I'm loving this window. The fact we're even in the conversation for players that PSG and AC Milan and the like are chasing is something very strange to get used to.

it’s been absolutely bloody brilliant. I don’t 

understand how some dicks on Twitter are losing it. Genuinely can’t remember the last time a summer transfer window was this interesting 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it’s been absolutely bloody brilliant. I don’t 

understand how some dicks on Twitter are losing it. Genuinely can’t remember the last time a summer transfer window was this interesting 

Look no further than the salty comments on here man, in the tiny minority I know, but they are here.

Fickle idiots.

Edited by Dougle

I have no boner for you, I was pointing out that the reactionary twitter goons exist on here too and that you are a canny example.

Sorry I had to edit this.

poogle?

Seriously? Ach I suppose I am a poocastle supporter. FTM 6 in a row etc marra.

Edited by Dougle

9 hours ago, Dougle said:

Look no further than the salty comments on here man, in the tiny minority I know, but they are here.

when did pointing out the need for attacking upgrades or the hope to see them come in constitute being a fickle idiot rather than stating the bleeding obvious?

Edited by thebrokendoll
  • Like 4

Yeah but the idea is that you meet somewhere in the middle. Our valuations look to be way below what other clubs are looking. It isn't a bad precedent to set, showing that we won't be put over a barrel, but eventually you have to start actually signing some players.

• Like 3

I'm still happily trusting the process. The only thing that I think any of these rumours prove, and let's be honest it's all just gossip at this stage, is that we have a long term strategy and we are not going to be fucked around

Judging by the incoming transfers so far its a strategy I'm more than ok with

Edited by spongebob toonpants
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Aye.  It's part of the process though init?  Go in with an offer, they say 'nah, we want x' and then negotiate from there?

Or it's: that's our valuation, take it or leave it, they may tinker with the structure, more up front less as add-ons etc. perhaps that's what they are setting up their position to be, NUFC will offer what they are prepared to pay "take it or leave it".

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Yeah but the idea is that you meet somewhere in the middle. Our valuations look to be way below what other clubs are looking. It isn't a bad precedent to set, showing that we won't be put over a barrel, but eventually you have to start actually signing some players.

Aye totally.  

Surly there is an initial conversation had with either the club or the agent on what they value the player at and then we put an offer in?  I don't know.  But yes, the closer to deadline day we are surly not in the best position as everyone knows we need forward players.  So we either pay, or go into the first part of the season with a squad lacking in depth.

IMO Tab end Longstaff, Murphy need to be looked to be moved on ASAP.

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

We've signed quite a few compared to years gone by.

10 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

We've signed quite a few compared to years gone by.

I'm not one of those moaning fuckers but if you look at the deals we've completed this summer, while they're all quality players, they've been fairly straightforward to do. We've been in talks for Botman for at least six months, Targett was already surplus to requirements at Villa and had been here on loan and Pope was never going to play in the Championship for Burnley.

Not every deal is going to be that easy and our owners are very new to all this so we just have to have faith that Dan Ashworth can guide them.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season