Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

24 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Everyone saying we could only spend £75-100mil due to FFP. I assume that's bollocks given you can spread player contracts over 5 years now. So £55mil on Tonali is only £11mil off the balance this Summer

Yeah but the players we bough previously still count in this window too, so botman, Bruno, trippier, pope, Isak 

51 minutes ago, Howay said:

:lol: Sums up my feelings to a lot of these twitter fans 

There was a fan poll on twitter and iirc over 80% were in favour of the transfer. As per the noisy few are creating a false narrative. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

There was a fan poll on twitter and iirc over 80% were in favour of the transfer. As per the noisy few are creating a false narrative. 

Aye, my issue with it is that players will be on twitter and we have a team working hard to bring players they’ve targeted to the club and then there’s all these fucking morons on twitter whinging. I’m sure players shrug it off but it’s still unneeded and pathetic. Especially given it’s the same people that are posting gushing love poems about players like Ciaran Clark leaving us :lol:.

• Like 4

Ben Jacobs has said we're still looking for a player of the profile of Maddison and Szoboszlai, as in a versatile attacking mid. I can only really think of Veiga and Kudus off the top of my head, in terms of players of that profile we've been linked to who are yet to move this summer. I say linked to but the real truth is that there's a relatively small pool of elite players for each position. So every big team is "linked" to said players. If Veiga is really a target of Citeh's we can pretty much forget about him obviously. I mean unless we could assure him of more playing time compared to what Pep would be willing to offer. But I can't see Howe giving someone that kind of guarantee. I'd assume he's pretty strict with the, everyone has to work hard in training and work their way into the team ethos. 

• Like 1

On 08/07/2023 at 08:54, LongTimeAdmirer said:

35mil on another LW with our FFP constraints is 100% not happening.

He'll do nothing about helping us improve the 14 draws we had last season due to teams sitting deep against us, that requires creativity and ball skills. He's got none.

YHe6FYf.png

Who cares about how hard he works off the ball, the team is full of hard workers already. 

The "hard work" he even does is debatable. 

n5fAXGV.png

This whole thing just reeks of an agent trying to drum up interest for his player.

35 mil for this guy? C'mon Dr, be sensible.

Howe’s success has been built on the hard work the players do off the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Jaysus... 1

The Mail are reporting that we'll pay 25m, or we'll at least bid 25m, for Barnes. If we get him for 25m that's incredible business. A French publication is saying that we're "preparing" to bid for the 19 year old attacking mid Rayan Cherki off Lyon. Chelsea have also been heavily linked with him, so we'll have to hope they don't beat us to yet another young player, should we actually make a bid. 

Edited by Polarboy

6 goals and 4 assists last season for a centre back is pretty crazy. At 25 and pretty established, he seems like he'd be direct competition for Schar's place, as opposed to someone who would be his understudy for a season or two. 

• Like 1

Hopefully Man U are too distracted with getting Onana and Hojlund over the line, and we can steal a march on them. He's no Chalobah like, but he'll do if we get him 😉👍

It's going to be an interesting end to the window if we're still after a centre back, attacking mid/RW and a left back. Monaco produce some class players, so this kid could be the real deal. Him along with an elite LB and a young exciting attacking mid will be a great way to finish our business. 

Edited by Polarboy

It's almost as if we don't have a 75M budget!

Hope we start looking into some quality LBs too soon. And the lack of outgoings is also a bit concerning, we dont have many marketable players but you'd think championship clubs might be interested in a few. 

• Like 2

If we get Disasi or another CB of similar level, obviously Barnes is looking close, get a LB who will probably cost around that 20 to 30m mark, and are still after an attacking mid/forward; that lot along with Tonali would come to roughly 200m. Maybe we won't get another attacking player, but I still wouldn't be surprised if the stories about us flogging ASM to Saudi are true. As has repeatedly been said, he's easily our most saleable asset in terms of who we'd probably be willing to let go. If ASM is the difference between us only reinforcing the defence, after we get Barnes, and being able to bring in another attacking player, then we have to flog him. We are still in need of someone who can unlock a team who've parked the bus. 

20 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

We are still in need of someone who can unlock a team who've parked the bus. 

ASM is the most mercurial player in the league, and he was rarely able to single handedly get around a low block. 

Bruno, Isak, Tonali, Barnes and Chiesa are more than capable between them ;) 

• Like 1

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season