Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

16 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If we don't sell ASM, then the decision to spend big money on Barnes is mental when Isak, ASM, Gordon and Joelinton can play there. And we are one injury away from Lascelles being our starting CB for the whole season 

Pretty sure the club wont want to go to the new season with the defensive backup options we have now. A new LB would allow Burn to cover CB, and we will probably sign a new CB too. Window closes on 1 September :) 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

If we don't sell ASM, then the decision to spend big money on Barnes is mental when Isak, ASM, Gordon and Joelinton can play there. And we are one injury away from Lascelles being our starting CB for the whole season 

Well, at least one winger will be on his way out and he looks the most likely. Almiron just signed a new contract, Gordon is now a god after winning the u-21 player of the tournament and Murphy has good bantz in the changing the rooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

We have until September tbf. And I don’t believe for a second that we’re done after Barnes. Saw something with Kieran Maguire essentially saying that transfers are subject to amortisation and calculating in terms of the larger transfer fees is a fools move.

Also, Barnes frees up Gordon to move to the right/centre and Joelinton back into the middle, instead of wedging two lads that aren’t naturals over there 

28 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

We have until September tbf. And I don’t believe for a second that we’re done after Barnes. Saw something with Kieran Maguire essentially saying that transfers are subject to amortisation and calculating in terms of the larger transfer fees is a fools move.

Also, Barnes frees up Gordon to move to the right/centre and Joelinton back into the middle, instead of wedging two lads that aren’t naturals over there 

I was reading that it's more to do with wages than transfer fees. Apparently you used to be able to have wages that accounted for up to 90% of your profit, but it's been taken down to, or will be taken down to in the near future, to 70%. It's of course another attempt to pull up the ladder behind the "top six". 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Can't imagine he's all that if Villa are the biggest club in for him...

Aye, sounds like a few have looked at him and turned their noses up at him.

Still, Villa are building a decent squad, can't deny that.

• Like 2

Lets be honest, we would have been ecstatic if we'd signed Diaby. Him going to Villa doesn't automatically make him shite, if he does end up there. If he was one of our main targets this window like Tonali then I think we would have got him, but Howe and Ashworth clearly have other plans for whatever budget it is that we have. Villa might be a bland, beige club, but Emery is a very well renowned and respected coach, who's reputation for improving players is a draw. 

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 3

Villa are certainly doing quite well in the transfer market. But although they are spending some serious money I fear that they are still quoted different fees than us.  Word in the German press so far is that the offer was about 45m Euro but Bayer are looking for 60m. It will be interesting to see how much they will have to pay in the end if they can agree a fee.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I were Eddie, I'd be waiting for another Saudi team to "enter the race" for ASM's signature. What's that?! Oh no! It's a bidding war for our "star player that we're determined not to sell for any price"!

Arab Dancing GIF - Arab Dancing Celebrate - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, toonotl said:

If I were Eddie, I'd be waiting for another Saudi team to "enter the race" for ASM's signature. What's that?! Oh no! It's a bidding war for our "star player that we're determined not to sell for any price"!

Arab Dancing GIF - Arab Dancing Celebrate - Discover & Share GIFs

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

• Haha 2

I’m not bothered that other clubs are signing good players but it is a little annoying that a few of them are players we’ve been linked with across several windows. I’ve got nothing against Harvey Barnes but Diaby is a class above, isn’t he?

I wouldn't worry about links. It's fun to look at to pass time but most of the players we've signed the links have happened and then more or less we've signed. Them links haven't come from cunts like Chicken Nonce™ either. 

Just now, wykikitoon said:

I wouldn't worry about links. It's fun to look at to pass time but most of the players we've signed the links have happened and then more or less we've signed. Them links haven't come from cunts like Chicken Nonce™ either. 

yeah, could be just agent talk. I’m sure the club will have a list of targets, but it feels like the links with with Madison and Diaby were genuine because they occurred over several windows. Szobzolai I’m not sure - could well have been his agent trying to manufacture  a bidding war.

It does make you wonder if we have missed out on our top targets because we’re not prepared to have our pants pulled down, or if FFP is really constraining us. Or if the club was always working on different targets and word just hasn’t got out to the chicken tonight merchant 

• Like 2

It feels to me like we are very ready to walk away from deals that dont suit us.

Diaby they were asking too much, it was like 80m euros last summer right? Now villa are bidding 35 and I havent seen any real indications that weve been back in for him since last summer. 

We're not interested in bidding wars hence leaving maddison and leicester eventually sold him for about two thirds what they wanted from us.

Szoboszlai by all accounts only wanted liverpool once they showed interest so we didnt bother going at it since we'd probsbly have to pay a lot more than them to convince him.

At this stage its fine, we are still demonstrating that we wont be taken the piss out of on fees (diaby) and we arent such a good team that there are only a small number of players who will improve us so we move on when we dont like the deal for whatever reason  (maddison/szoboszlai)

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, could be just agent talk. I’m sure the club will have a list of targets, but it feels like the links with with Madison and Diaby were genuine because they occurred over several windows. Szobzolai I’m not sure - could well have been his agent trying to manufacture  a bidding war.

It does make you wonder if we have missed out on our top targets because we’re not prepared to have our pants pulled down, or if FFP is really constraining us. Or if the club was always working on different targets and word just hasn’t got out to the chicken tonight merchant 

It wouldn't be surprised if its a bit of both.  Some NUFC Tax and we still have some players no doubt on MA wages.  Lewis may not be on a massive wage compared to0 the likes of Tonali, but he's got a long contract.

Also deals are pretty complex, they take time, I am sure the likes of Ashworth etc are grafting like fuck.  We are carefully considering targets and not just for this season I am sure,

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It feels to me like we are very ready to walk away from deals that dont suit us.

Diaby they were asking too much, it was like 80m euros last summer right? Now villa are bidding 35 and I havent seen any real indications that weve been back in for him since last summer. 

We're not interested in bidding wars hence leaving maddison and leicester eventually sold him for about two thirds what they wanted from us.

Szoboszlai by all accounts only wanted liverpool once they showed interest so we didnt bother going at it since we'd probsbly have to pay a lot more than them to convince him.

At this stage its fine, we are still demonstrating that we wont be taken the piss out of on fees (diaby) and we arent such a good team that there are only a small number of players who will improve us so we move on when we dont like the deal for whatever reason  (maddison/szoboszlai)

Totally,  If we set our stall out now, it can only be positive in the long run.

Last season has probably got a few peoples eyes set higher (Not aimed at you Gloom) than where our plan is.  It will have changed the plan no doubt, but I don't think drastically.

Lots of fuckin FIFA/FM ninnies on the bird app filling their nappies in mid July :lol: 

We could often accurately predict what would happen in a window under Ashley and penfold. It’s different now, we absolutely don’t know more than Ashworth, Eddie and their backroom

teams. I’ve just read some foetus saying “OMG I CANT BELEIVE WE’LL BE HEARING THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE MUSIC WITH ALMIRON AND BURN STOOD IN THE LINE UP” its just such a crock of shit….no one outside of the NUFC training ground knows what’s going on. If I had to guess there’s something about Diaby that doesn’t suit top clubs’ approach to the game ie pressing ability. Fully intend to enjoy what’s left of the summer and then enjoy the season, it’s going to be fuckin great 😎

• Like 6

Must admit Im pretty chilled for next season. Think it will be a little bit of a backward step with all the games and overall squad quality, followed by another leap forward the season after. Slowly and gradually getting rid of the dross, a few first team signings and real quality in the under 21 department. Nothing but good times ahead.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Polarboy said:

Looks like Brennan Johnson is off to Villa, at least according to Craig Hope. Could be a very decent signing for them. 

That's disappointing. He looks a real talent and I didn't think I'd have to start hating him so soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Must admit Im pretty chilled for next season. Think it will be a little bit of a backward step with all the games and overall squad quality, followed by another leap forward the season after. Slowly and gradually getting rid of the dross, a few first team signings and real quality in the under 21 department. Nothing but good times ahead.

The Under 21 Department is what you used to call Oz back in 85.

• Haha 2

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season