Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Just listened to Tory boy on the true faith podcast. He makes some interesting points about DM being the priority position to upgrade in January. Have we been winging it playing our playmaker there with no understudy, or ball-winning midfielder to come in and shore things up when we play away from home. 

In other words, do we all cross our fingers that the cryptic sighting of KP in Harrogate means something to someone other than Wykiki?

He could also just be passing through as its not far from where his old fella is banged up. 

But I'm hoping there's more to it than that 

17 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I don't think goal keeper is a priority to be honest. Dubravka will be rusty and, in his defence, the defence has been indefensible.

Once we have Botman back, and a rejuvenated Trippier, plus a rested and recuperated midfield, we'll return to being one of the PL teams who allows the fewest number of shots on goal. 

DM is an interesting one. I like the idea of a Rodri-esque player, but I don't know if there's one available for a price we'd be comfortable spending in this window. I also don't know if pushing Bruno further up the pitch would be the best use of him considering the rest of our midfield. Joelinton, Longstaff, Miley, Tonali, and Willock are all variations on a theme. They're all types of a number 8. Willock and Joelinton drive with the ball, Longstaff and Tonali play deeper but neither are a true number 6. 

Play Bruno further forward with a true defensive mid behind and we wouldn't benefit from Bruno's late arrival in our attacks. He plays best about 30-40yds out, linking the midfield with the fullbacks and forwards. If he's already up there I think it's easier to defend against. 

Personally think a young striker, and a player who can play wide right is the priority. Also a centre back. 

Do you have anyone in mind? Striker wise I haven't a clue! 

10 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Do you have anyone in mind? Striker wise I haven't a clue! 

Fuck knows. Dunno what the budget is, who's available etc.

There's rumours of Florian Wirtz, which would be odd given our strength on the left. He's undeniably talented, but I don't really get the rumour.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

We have had to loan hall because of FFP. So how do we now go out and spend anything to get players in? 

Fuck knows, I understand FFP as much as I understand the appeal of strictly come dancing….probably will have to be loans if we can get anyone …while Chelsea will go out and spend another 300 million 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

He could also just be passing through as its not far from where his old fella is banged up. 

But I'm hoping there's more to it than that 

not from a good family then? UM won’t approve 

• Haha 2

I reckon we’ll go for someone like Ekitike. Not necessarily him but a young prospect who won’t mind being rotated with Isak and Wilson. I doubt we’d sign a marquee striker in the January window. 

I can see us going for a more experienced player in DM - KP or Neves 

• Like 1

Just now, Toonpack said:

Aye but we'll only be on the hook for any loan fees in this year, not his fee yet.

Yeah, the reason we structured the deal like that was obviously because we were at the limits of FFP which would indicate that there’s very little to spend in January unless we get extra CL revenue that we hadn’t budgeted for.

We have plenty of saleable assets - the problem is they are all vital to how we play, the squad dynamic and the relationship with the fans. Plus it's January so everyone will be inflating prices, so we'd end up selling a player and replacing them like for like rather than getting £100m for say Bruno and bringing in 3 players with that money. Not to mention Howe would be on the steps of SJP calming the tiki torch mob that turned up still angry that KK sold Andy Cole 30 years ago.

What we need is for the club to magic up a tonne of arms length commercial deals with PIF companies in the next 2-3 weeks and then we can fuck the league up and their shitty little rule book.

• Like 1

We can only take three players on loan, I believe - I think the max is 4 and we already have Hall (though I think a mandatory future transfer may change that). Three or four should be enough, but it would be nice to get in some actual transfers that will be here beyond the end of the season.

We've also got a host of new commercial partners, more money from the new domestic broadcast deal, if we get through in the UCL and FA/LC we can rely on more revenue from them too. Bruno, Burn and Wilson all signed contract extensions after the summer window closed

I think there is money available and I think the circumstances this season will encourage the owners to spend now rather than the summer. Obviously this has the caveat that, if the right player isn't available, they'll not just throw money around in the hope that'll fix everything.

• Like 2

Yeah I don't think there will be panic buys in January. Just hasnt been the way the owners have operated. As good as another CL finish would be, I think they'll be thinking we're okay even if a top 5 finish looks unlikely this season. On the whole the club is still well ahead of what they would have thought after taking over. Perhaps one or two buys if the right player is available in January and then consolidation in the summer for next season when we should really start showing serious ambition.

@Isegrim Was listening to 5live tonight, they had a German journo on called Sebastian Faulk(?) talking about Bayern  mostly but he mentioned Serhou Guirassy, apparently hes going to either Man Utd, Dortmund or NUFC… €17.5 mill release clause… he seemed fairly sure the player is coming to the premier league :cuppa:

9 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

@Isegrim Was listening to 5live tonight, they had a German journo on called Sebastian Faulk(?) talking about Bayern  mostly but he mentioned Serhou Guirassy, apparently hes going to either Man Utd, Dortmund or NUFC… €17.5 mill release clause… he seemed fairly sure the player is coming to the premier league :cuppa:

There is nothing imminent at the moment. Stuttgart don’t want to sell but say they have to convince Guirassy that it’s best for him tk stay with them. Latest I read in the local rag (I am living just outside of Stuttgart and am working there) is that Dortmund are interested.

• Like 2

He's a bit old for the Dortmund model, though there is no doubting his ability to put the ball in the net. I'd fucking love him here, but I'd wager we're third in that list if he's got to choose just based on club size and history.

• Like 1