Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

Erikssen looked class and changed Brentfords latter end of the season.  But like you say he is coming to the end of his careeer.  Do we want that?  Could he be a great player for a couple of seasons to push our project on which would then let us get into Europe?

5 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Erikssen looked class and changed Brentfords latter end of the season.  But like you say he is coming to the end of his careeer.  Do we want that?  Could he be a great player for a couple of seasons to push our project on which would then let us get into Europe?

a blend of youth and experience has got to be a good thing?

keegan's brought back beardsley towards the end of his career...

ekitike, bottman - maybe diaby - are exciting young prospects. might be wise to have an experienced head like eriksen in there. the only other player of that stature in terms of leadership and experience in the squad is trippier. 

• Like 1

I'd sign Eriksen in a heartbeat and I think Paqueta is a deal that will definitely happen. 

The question will be how about how we fit Joelinton, Bruno, Paqueta & Eriksen into the same midfield unless we abandon the 4-3-3?

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

I'd sign Eriksen in a heartbeat and I think Paqueta is a deal that will definitely happen. 

The question will be how about how we fit Joelinton, Bruno, Paqueta & Eriksen into the same midfield unless we abandon the 4-3-3?

shock-surprise.gif

• Haha 13
  • Jaysus... 1

I think it might be time to pull the cord on Ekitike. I don't know how reputable the medical expert that the chronic quoted is, or if he can really judge accurately without first hand knowledge or face to face examination, but supposedly the type of hamstring injury he had near the start of the year, his attempt to come back in April which was too early according to this expert, its reoccurrence which subsequently left him out until the final three La Liga games, and now another hamstring injury, point towards a botched recovery from the initial injury, which could mean he has these reoccurring hamstring injuries for the rest of his career. 30m is a lot of money to be spending on someone who could miss as much if not more game time than Wilson each season. Of course, again, this is dependent on how accurate this medical experts opinion is. The question is who do we go after if not Ekitike. I suppose putting our entire focus on getting DCL in might be the way to go, and then we could perhaps get that young Portuguese winger to add some depth to the squad, plus another goal scoring wide player like Sarr, plus Eriksen and perhaps Paqueta. That should add more than enough goals and creativity to the team along with ASM and Wilson.  

Edited by Polarboy
  • Like 1

I personally don’t rate Calvert-Lewin, he’s scored around the same as Wilson in certain seasons, which is decent but I think he’s a very streaky striker rather than consistent. 

On Ekitike I read somewhere that Erling Haaland picks up a lot of these soft tissue injuries as well, which causes him to miss quite a lot of games - the piece seemed to say it’s possibly down to him still growing and his body adjusting, perhaps Ekitike is similar as he’s clearly still growing into his frame. I also think soft tissue injuries are treatable/avoidable, Milan lab consistently enabled players seen as injury prone with these type of injuries to suddenly become consistent starters. I think it would be more of a worry if this was ligament damage. I’m not in any way shape or form a medical expert so all this could be wrong, I’m just going off things I’ve read in the past. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

I think it might be time to pull the cord on Ekitike. I don't know how reputable the medical expert that the chronic quoted is, or if he can really judge accurately without first hand knowledge or face to face examination, but supposedly the type of hamstring injury he had near the start of the year, his attempt to come back in April which was too early according to this expert, its reoccurrence which subsequently left him out until the final three La Liga games, and now another hamstring injury, point towards a botched recovery from the initial injury, which could mean he has these reoccurring hamstring injuries for the rest of his career. 30m is a lot of money to be spending on someone who could miss as much if not more game time than Wilson each season. Of course, again, this is dependent on how accurate this medical experts opinion is. The question is who do we go after if not Ekitike. I suppose putting our entire focus on getting DCL in might be the way to go, and then we could perhaps get that young Portuguese winger to add some depth to the squad, plus another goal scoring wide player like Sarr, plus Eriksen and perhaps Paqueta. That should add more than enough goals and creativity to the team along with ASM and Wilson.  

I trust those at the club to make the correct judgement. It's fair to say he'd be put through a stringent medical before any contract is signed. He's certainly got the talent, let's just hang fire before we pass him off for no good.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Howay said:

I personally don’t rate Calvert-Lewin, he’s scored around the same as Wilson in certain seasons, which is decent but I think he’s a very streaky striker rather than consistent. 

On Ekitike I read somewhere that Erling Haaland picks up a lot of these soft tissue injuries as well, which causes him to miss quite a lot of games - the piece seemed to say it’s possibly down to him still growing and his body adjusting, perhaps Ekitike is similar as he’s clearly still growing into his frame. I also think soft tissue injuries are treatable/avoidable, Milan lab consistently enabled players seen as injury prone with these type of injuries to suddenly become consistent starters. I think it would be more of a worry if this was ligament damage. I’m not in any way shape or form a medical expert so all this could be wrong, I’m just going off things I’ve read in the past. 

Like yourself I'm no medical expert, but him growing into his body does seem plausible. You can tell by looking at him that he's not finished growing and will fill out. As for DCL he has just turned 25, he'll be coming into his prime in the next few seasons, so it's entirely possible that he will become more consistent, and it's not like he's been in a very good or consistent team at Everton. One thing is for certain, and that is that he's a monster in the air, which is a seldom seen attribute these days, at least at his level, and adds value. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Like yourself I'm no medical expert, but him growing into his body does seem plausible. You can tell by looking at him that he's not finished growing and will fill out. As for DCL he has just turned 25, he'll be coming into his prime in the next few seasons, so it's entirely possible that he will become more consistent, and it's not like he's been in a very good or consistent team at Everton. One thing is for certain, and that is that he's a monster in the air, which is a seldom seen attribute these days, at least at his level, and adds value. 

Yeah I agree on DCL, personal preference would be to get another player but he could definitely improve especially given, as you say, the likely step up in talent around him. I think my primary issue with him is I think for what he’d cost we could likely get better - but if we did sign him I’d be more than happy as I trust our lot. 

7 minutes ago, Howay said:

Yeah I agree on DCL, personal preference would be to get another player but he could definitely improve especially given, as you say, the likely step up in talent around him. I think my primary issue with him is I think for what he’d cost we could likely get better - but if we did sign him I’d be more than happy as I trust our lot. 

Well I think it comes down to who's the best we could get at our current level. There aren't that many forwards out there who represent low risk, when you are spending big money. Basically all of the big teams are looking for a new forward. Liverpool look to have gotten Nunez, Citeh got Haaland, Arsenal are looking, Man U, Chelsea probably will be etc. DCL at least seems plausible as someone for us to go after, and he's proven in the league as at least being capable of double figures. 

Edited by Polarboy

The problem with suggesting we turn our focus away from 'injury-prone' Ekitike towards DCL is that DCL is himself injury-prone.

1 minute ago, Craig said:

The problem with suggesting we turn our focus away from 'injury-prone' Ekitike towards DCL is that DCL is himself injury-prone.

One bad season doesn't make you injury prone. His last four seasons he's played 33, 36, 35, and 32 league games. 

21 minutes ago, Howay said:

The Athletic: Newcastle join race to sign 6ft 5′ striker - PSG, Arsenal and West Ham also keen | NUFC blog – Newcastle United blog – NUFC Fixtures, News and Forum.

Just read this. I forgot about Scamacca, but he was mentioned by Ryder as someone we'd scouted a while back, as is stated in the article. He would be a risk compared to DCL, but we could potentially get him for around 30m compared to DCL who I read is valued at, at least 50m by Everton.  

1 hour ago, Polarboy said:

The Athletic: Newcastle join race to sign 6ft 5′ striker - PSG, Arsenal and West Ham also keen | NUFC blog – Newcastle United blog – NUFC Fixtures, News and Forum.

Just read this. I forgot about Scamacca, but he was mentioned by Ryder as someone we'd scouted a while back, as is stated in the article. He would be a risk compared to DCL, but we could potentially get him for around 30m compared to DCL who I read is valued at, at least 50m by Everton.  

Yeah I guess that’s what I mean, there’s plenty out there in that price range and as I’ve said I don’t rate DCL highly. He could improve, and he might be less of a risk than some, but £50m on him is a risk in and of itself imo. There are players like Scamacca, Jonathan David, Moussa Dembele (Lyon), Simeone, etc who are all younger or similar age to DCL and would perhaps be attainable, cheaper, and seem to be canny players. 

I might have my YouTube googles on, but Scamacca looks decent. He's quick and has great close control for a big lad. And you have to say it's impressive that he scored 16 league goals in a mid table team in Sassuolo. 

Edited by Polarboy

Disappointed CT didn’t post about this, the plane was in Milan Tuesday, then flew to Paris last night before flying to Newcastle today. The plane perverts are all sure it’s Botman’s agent :lol:.

Right, putting together all the bullshit for a nice conspiracy theory. His agent went to Milan with what they wanted, Milan couldn’t meet it, so his agent has went to Newcastle, Sky Italia hearing the banter have moved to get ahead of the gazumping and have claimed our bid went up. Have to admit it’s a lot funner to follow than the Choudrey updates. 

• Haha 3

Well if Maguire can go for 80m pounds, Botman might end up being a bargain even at that price, given how much potential we are told he has. And obviously going by what's been said the deal will likely be structured to pay at least half of the fee over a number of years. 

Edited by Polarboy

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season